Gretna

Unionguy_2017

Union High School Retweeted

Due to circumstances out of our control, there will be NO reserved seating for Friday's game vs. Gretna. Gates will open at 5:00.

great state

Uhhhhhhhhh. What? Season ticket holders at Richlands get to keep their reserved seat but still have to pay to get in.

Was 2011 Thurman or Saunders?  Wasn't Saunders from SWVA, looks like a Simons now, man they go thru the coaches.

Blacksburg vs Grenta 2013 in on  youtube.

From what I can find it looks like Cole Simpson is the coach. I know max preps sucks but you can get a lot of stats on gretna, if there right.

Saunders coached there in 2010 when GC beat them for State. GC beat his brother the week before at Radford.

Remember that one. Me and my buddy watched Richlands vs Poquson at Liberty, then got in the truck and drove to Salem, getting there about 10 minutes before kickoff. Great day of football.

Very surprised how bad they were. John battle could of beat them. No running game and the QB had no time to throw, but we looked really good tonight, the defense has really stepped up the past few weeks.

As an all-around effort, maybe the best Union has looked all season. The defense absolutely smothered Gretna, they had basically zero offense against the starters. The offense was able to cram the ball down Gretna's throat all night long, Union only completed like eight passes but Spears had two passing TDs (Mitchell on a fade, Noaks on a swing pass) and a long gain by Gavin. Bishop had 144 yards on 10 carries in the first half, dont know game total for him. Spears was 8-10 for 110 yards and 2 TD in first half. I'd be shocked if Gretna had over 150 yards of offense total, and less than 100 for the game. 

Scoring summary for the game:

1 yd TD run-Summers (7:38, 1st) 7-0 U

8 yd TD run-Fannon (4:09, 1st) 14-0 U

10 yd TD run-Fannon (11:54, 2nd) 21-0 U

1 yd TD run-Summers (11:29, 2nd) 28-0 U

16 yd TD pass, Spears to Mitchell (8:26, 2nd) 35-0 U

5 yd TD pass, Spears to Noaks (4:21, 2nd) 42-0 U

Fumble recovery in end zone by Gretna (4:32, 4th) 42-7 U

We looked great tonight, I didn't expect it at all to be honest with you all. Good win but time to prepare for Graham.

To quote Nick Saban, enjoy this win for 24 hours then start the preparations for Graham.

I VERY seriously doubt Union beats Graham like that, they are a solid team and will be a much stiffer test for the Bears.

Stats from the game (no 1st down stats for some reason):

Rushing:

Gretna-20 carries, 18 yards

Union-41 carries, 195 yards

Passing:

Gretna-49

Union-157

Total O:

Gretna-64

Union-352

Compt-Att-Int:

Gretna: 5-14-2

Union: 12-15-0

Fumbles:

Gretna-1-0

Union-0-0

So even with the second team playing most of the 2nd half, Union held Gretna under 75 total yards. Very impressive outing for the Bears.

According to the Bristol Herald Courier, Union had 20 first downs and Gretna had 5. Gretna's total yards on Offense can be deceiving, too. Twice In the 4th quarter Union went for a 4th and long from thier own 28 with their second string Offense. Both times they failed to get the first. Roughly half of Gretna's yardage (and their only score) came at that time. Seriously...Union let their foot off the gas up 42-0 midway thru the 2nd...the score could have been whatever Union wanted it to be. Gretna had no answers for the Bears. Here's stats from BHC:

First Downs: G 5, U 20; Rushes-Yards: G 23-33, U 41-230; Passing Yards: G 71, U 138; Comp.-Att.-Int: G 5-14-2, U 12-15-0; Fumbles-Lost: G 1-0, U 0-0; Penalties-Yards: G 3-20, U 3-25; Punts-Average: G 5-30, U 0-0.

Worse than the years they lost 44 straight games?

I was going to say that! You beat me Beamerball! GC played them in basketball a few times before the football team was any good. I asked one of the players why the football was so bad with all the athletes they had on the court. His answer was short. "Nobody down there cares about football at all!"

Gretna wouldn't have won a game in the Mountain Conference this year. They looked nothing like I expected they would.

I didn't really know what to expect from Gretna, but, for sure, I didn't expect what I saw. They were downright terrible. Had a couple of really big lineman, but got whipped all night long.

After those first three runs up the middle for 8-10 yards each I thought, "can't be this easy", but it was.