Graham @ Union

BigWinners

Okay we've went over the sportsmanship issue ad nausem already, let's discuss the game

I think Union wins even if Cousin does not get hurt, but I believe its a nailbiter. Graham was unable to stop the running offense for the most part all night long, the run and the pass was there all night. Surprised Travis did not take more deep shots, the Graham DBs were small and Gavin and Mitchell had huge size advantages. We hit one long pass to Gavin and Mitchell caught two TD passes but his best catch was the 3rd down catch that sealed the game.

Graham has nothing to be ashamed of in terms of play, they were a good squad. Somewhat a one trick pony, but that one trick is pretty damn impressive.

Now, on to Glenvar!

What type of injury did Cousin have? Is he o.k. Don't think I have heard anybody express concern from either side about him......

Never knew what the injury was. He was up and walking around the sideline the whole time. BDT just said he was held out for precautionary reasons due to possible head injury, but from the article it would seem he didn't have one.

Never knew what the injury was. He was up and walking around the sideline the whole time. BDT just said he was held out for precautionary reasons due to possible head injury, but from the article it would seem he didn't have one.

He was apparently walking fine, but with helmet off. Does make you wonder about a possible concussion. Here's to a speedy recovery for Cousin.

Some stats from last night:

Cousins had 139 yards on 20 carries and a TD.

Bryce Spears threw for 147 yard and 5 TD.

Rushing yards:

Graham: 38-208

Union: 32-166

Passing:

Graham: 9-18-0, 157 yards 

Union: 12-18-0, 147 yards

Total:

Graham: 362

Union: 312

Scoring plays:

U-Barnett 5 yard TD pass from Spears (PATfailed)
G-Allen 12 yd TD pass from Workman (PATgood)

2nd Q:

U-Cameron Fannon 11 yard TD run (2pt good)

3rd Q:

G-Cousins 3 yd TD run (PAT good)

U-Mitchell 4 yd TD catch (PAT good)
G-Booker 43 yd pass from Workman (PAT good)

U-Summers 2yd TD run (XPTgood)

4th Q:

U-Noaks 9 yd TD catch

U-Noaks 5 yd TD catch

U-Barnett 8 yd TD catch

I've been a Graham supporter all year but you can't run up the score on one team and whine about a team doing it to you: no matter what your reasoning is.

I don't know if you can say Union exactly ran it up. I seem to remember them already being that far into Graham territory. You can't expect the teams to lay down and quit if they start the drive in the other team's red zone. There was probably one "garbage time" TD. If they did it with the less than a minute instead of running the clock then I can see why one would complain. If your team was throwing bombs while being up by 3 touchdowns then yeah. Can't cry RUTS if another team throws a short pass with the intent of getting a first down and keeping the clock going. Leaving your starters in while up by 50 is RUTS. Going for two while up by a significant margin is RUTS.

Some stats from last night:

Cousins had 139 yards on 20 carries and a TD.

Bryce Spears threw for 147 yard and 5 TD.

Rushing yards:

Graham: 38-208

Union: 32-166

Passing:

Graham: 9-18-0, 157 yards 

Union: 12-18-0, 147 yards

Total:

Graham: 362

Union: 312

Stats from BDT...

First Downs: Graham 14, Union 17. Rushes-Yds: Graham 33-223, Union 32-172, Passing Yds: Graham 105, Union 163. Total Offense: Graham 328, Union 335. C-A-I: Graham, 9-19-0; Union 15-21-0. Fumbles-Lost: Graham 1-1; Union 0-0. Punts-Avg: Graham 3-40.3; Union 2-34.5. Penalties-Yards: Graham 10-89; Union 2-15.

Stats from BHC...

First Downs: G 15, U 16; Rushes-Yards: G 35-195, U 30-160; Passing Yards: G 174, U 169; Comp.-Att.-Int: G 10-16-0, U 14-20-0; Fumbles-Lost: G 2-1, U 1-0; Penalties-Yards: G 8-75, U 1-15; Punts-Average: G 3-31, U 2-33.

They're all different...

I've been a Graham supporter all year but you can't run up the score on one team and whine about a team doing it to you: no matter what your reasoning is.

Did forget Tazewell tacked on a TD with 56 sec. left in the game ahead 38-15 last year instead of taking a knee?

Okay we've went over the sportsmanship issue ad nausem already, let's discuss the game

I think Union wins even if Cousin does not get hurt, but I believe its a nailbiter. Graham was unable to stop the running offense for the most part all night long, the run and the pass was there all night. Surprised Travis did not take more deep shots, the Graham DBs were small and Gavin and Mitchell had huge size advantages. We hit one long pass to Gavin and Mitchell caught two TD passes but his best catch was the 3rd down catch that sealed the game.

Graham has nothing to be ashamed of in terms of play, they were a good squad. Somewhat a one trick pony, but that one trick is pretty damn impressive.

Now, on to Glenvar!

Spears could easily have thrown for 3-4K yards this season if Travis would take shots but he doesn't. The matchups have been like this all season long with Gavin and Mitchell. Gavin has actually become a decoy in the offense with one or two thrown his way in the past few weeks. As far as passing , we've become a deep shot or bubble screen offense so what concerns me now is the predictability in which we throw out of our sets. Quick slants are always there with the way DB's are playing 7-10 yards off our WR.  If Glenvar doesn't allow much on the ground, it should be an airshow next week at Bullitt Park.

Spears could easily have thrown for 3-4K yards this season if Travis would take shots but he doesn't. The matchups have been like this all season long with Gavin and Mitchell. Gavin has actually become a decoy in the offense with one or two thrown his way in the past few weeks. As far as passing , we've become a deep shot or bubble screen offense so what concerns me now is the predictability in which we throw out of our sets. Quick slants are always there with the way DB's are playing 7-10 yards off our WR.  If Glenvar doesn't allow much on the ground, it should be an airshow next week at Bullitt Park.

Agreed totally. We need to go vertical way more often, our receivers are too dangerous to stick to bubble screens.

Did forget Tazewell tacked on a TD with 56 sec. left in the game ahead 38-15 last year instead of taking a knee?

Yep starting Graham d couldn't stop backup qb or rb for Tazewell. Don't forget Cook had a long td run in the first offensive play after that. Graham didn't take starters out last year either, I remember some whining from Gmen fans about not developing young talent last year under Williams. I wonder why it's different now?

I guess some of you guys only saw the planting of the flag by Tazewell, not the warmup taunting from Graham standing at the 50 yelling "want some, come get some" lol. I would have rather seen Tazewell not do that in retaliation, but heck, don't take anything off anybody! If you don't go witness all the stuff, you might want to ask somebody that was there. Pretty sure they did the same at Richlands.

Cousins went down right in front of me and I could see the back of his helmet slam the ground really hard, knew then he would not be getting up for a while. His legs were still wobbly a few minutes later as they were helping him off the field. After Union scored their next touchdown he got up and tried to find his helmet but one of the coaches was holding it and would not give it to him. Cousins looks to be a fine player and I was glad to see he was a junior so he wouldn't close his high school career out with an injury like that.

Ive seen Union twice this season(both times early in the year) and their WR passing game is Screen, deep shot, Hitch/Hook. Gonna have to diversify more to beat good teams imo. Maybe they can, maybe they cant but with those athletes Slants, Crossing Routes and Outs have got to be a part of the passing game.

I don't think the trash talking is that big of a deal. Just cause a team talks trash should not label them as having bad sportsmanship. It happens in every game, it is just harder for the fans to hear or see it in a football game. It was a high school playoff football game in a competitive and exciting atmosphere. I would be more shocked if there wasn't any trash talking going on.