Frustration at Richlands

smoothsailin'

I think fans everywhere criticize coaching, whether it's another team or whether it's their own.

Section of crowd I sat in at Wytheville Saturday were getting all hostile with GW's coach for not throwing the ball, or when they did throw the ball, they wanted that screen pass to be a deep ball.

People that used to wear red were calling for Rick Mullins' firing about halftime of the Wise Central game in week 2.  My Facebook timeline lit up... Lol.

Obviously things got much better as the season progressed and things quieted down... I'm from Haysi, and I can't criticize.  Even though Colley had the offensive mastermind, it's Mullins who has a ring.

I think I seen another thread on here where fans criticize their own team (Giles maybe?).  Like I said, I think it happens everywhere.  Haters gonna hate when adversity rears its ugly head, but they'll be your best bud when things are peachy keen.

If Richlands had beaten Appomattox, I'm sure Mr. 4A would have been like... "Boy, I sure wished I worked for coach Mance, cause he's so cool..."

My two cents about the original topic.  As far as golf goes, I once hit a hole in one on a putt putt course.  :D

I have hit some 100 yd shots on putt putt courses.  It really is a challenge to hit wedge like shots with a putter.

LOL... my first trip to Anderson AFB on Guam, we rented clubs and they had putters that had to be 10" long and weighed a ton. There was one par 3 that was about 85-90 yds we all teed up the putters and i hit the thing 100 yds. You bring back memories

What is everyone's best round of golf?

My best nine was a 30 from the back tees at Mountainview Golf Club just north of Birmingham, AL back in March of '98 playing with one of my best friends (yes, I used to have friends) and his future father and brother in law...he was getting married the next day. At the time, that was the unofficial nine-hole record for that nine (course record was 32-31-63). Hit two balls in the woods on the back nine to shoot 40, for a -2 round of 70.

My best 18-hole score was 31-36-67 at Fincastle from the back tees. I missed two short putts on the front nine and had a three-putt double bogey on #14, otherwise I could have been sub-65.

Also shot a few other 31s at Fincastle but never put a decent second nine with it.

I somehow managed a 71 at Blue Ridge this past summer.  I say "somehow" because you don't expect a one over par total following five birdies and an eagle.  I also have 71's at Botetourt CC and Pinehurst #9 (formerly National Golf Club).  I need to work more on putting.  I can get up and down from anywhere but can't putt for shit!

I shot a 33 last spring in a nine hole "league" event.

I've played golf a total of 3 times. Twice at Emory and once at Wolf Creek.

Couple of funny stories.

My first ever hole was hole 1 at Emory. After 2 shots I was about 80 yards out. Didn't know what club to hit. Grabbed a sand wedge and proceeded to hole out. The guy I was golfing with dropped his club and just laid in the fairway for 5 minutes.

Second, I was on the hole at WC where you go over the corner of the lake/pond. I had never played the course and I knew my shots with the driver off the tee weren't going high enough to clear the lake. So I sat the tee high and grabbed my biggest iron and decided to just swing for the fences. I hit the ball and it went high enough and far enough to clear. I got excited and looked at my buddy and he just started laughing. I turned back around to see my ball disappear behind the embankment and then saw a huge splash.....no one told me there was a creek behind the lake.

It's been probably 2 years since I played Emory last. It's frustrating, but it's addictive.

Lowest score:  68 (-2) at Fawn Lake (Spotsylvania County) in a practice round a day before the VSGA qualifier at that course.  However, that did not do me much good the next day when it really counted...shot a 79.

Lowest round to par:  69 (-3) at Birdwood (UVA's home course).  Had a chance to go real low but three 3 putt bogeys early in the round hurt.

My new home course is Spotswood Country Club in Harrisonburg.  Not a really difficult course but I cannot break 70 there to save my life.  I have finally put away the Mizuno MP-33 blades and started using irons a little more forgiving for an old coger.  I think I will be reverting soon!

Where there is smoke, there is fire!  Tiger has been linked to the same "doctors" as Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, and many others.  I still say Tiger's body is breaking down from PED use.  His injuries are consistent with other known PED users like Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.  It will come to light one day.  Nothing stays hidden forever.  Now that his playing career is all but finished, he wont be as protected by the mainstream golf media.  There jobs and business wont depend on the secrecy.  More will begin to come out.

Probably will be the case sixcat.  But I still think that the night his (ex)wife spanked him around with the iron was the beginning of the end.  The "Tiger aura" was decimated when the tawdry details came out about his propensity for fornication.  I just do not think he was ever emotionally close to the same after that event.  And I was a Tiger supporter.  I thought he was great for the game and sports in general.  I loved watching him on Sundays.  The determination he exuded was rare.  I cannot stand to hear him speak now with all the excuses, whining, and knowing that he has (or had) the moral values of a hyena.

Nice playing!  After I got out of the golf business, I played every Saturday and Sunday for the next three and a half years...played pretty decent too, and consistent.  Then, one day, I just quit...had just finished the front nine (36 with a birdie on the 9th hole) with my buddy (Sandman...he's a lurker here.  You really only hear from him when the Gators are chompin' on the gridiron) and a couple of other guys.  I told him I was done, grabbed my bag and headed to the car.  Didn't play for another two years.  I've played maybe ten rounds the last three years.

Its weird...I'm weird.  I used to play every chance I got.  Now, I couldn't care less if I never played again.  If my wife wants to play, I'll go.  If my boss invites me to play, I'll go.  But that's about it. 

I am not nearly as good as I once was and know that to get there, I have to put in the work.  But the drive to do that is waning fast.  I now play in more Captain's Choice events than anything...mostly for business dealings.  And I HATE Captain's Choice tournaments.  Probably why I cannot break par anymore...actually breaking 80 is getting to be a chore.

I agree with everything you are saying Bearcat Bob.  The kids playing at the highest levels don't have tread marks left on their behinds like Els, Mickelson, etc either.  Spieth, McElroy, Fowler, Day and others don't fear him.  That plays a role also.

What Tiger has done to grow the game of golf can't be measured or quantified.  His impact is evident in the youth movement we are seeing now.  I just can't get past the PED issue.  As we all know, when your body begins to fail you, its demoralizing.  Imagine how much more devastating that must be when you are one of the most elite athletes ever.  But, if the rumors beginning to trickle out are true, he did it to himself with the PED use.

I am not nearly as good as I once was and know that to get there, I have to put in the work.  But the drive to do that is waning fast.  I now play in more Captain's Choice events than anything...mostly for business dealings.  And I HATE Captain's Choice tournaments.  Probably why I cannot break par anymore...actually breaking 80 is getting to be a chore.

I agree!  I HATE Captain's Choice events.  Our company is always asked to sponsor teams in local golf fundraiser tournaments and my boss always asks me if I want to play (he doesn't play in them, he usually lets some of the employees play in those events)...I always make up an excuse about having something important I need to do that day at work.  I'd rather work than play in a Captain's Choice...that's how much I HATE them...

I can still break 80 just about every time out, but its ugly...lots of bad shots but also some really good shots, just a ton of inconsistency...

^^True...very true.

Now I have an incredible urge to get off the computer, leave the office and hit golf balls. 

Supposed to be 68* here Friday.  I will be pegging it by lunch!

What time do you guys want to play???

I have shot 4 under 3 times, sadly like G-man i don't play very much any more, life, work, and a few injuries (back) have curtailed a lot of the golf. Unlike G-man i still love it. I ruptured two discs last spring and haven't played in over a year. The worst part is i had just purchased a new set of clubs and they are still in the plastic. I had held on to my "old" Titleist clubs for too long.

My best ever round was playing the Pearl (cant rem if it was East or West) in N Myrtle Beach with a group of friends. It was overcast and about the time we hit our 2nd shots the sky fell. We were soaked anyway and we kept playing in an off and on monsoon. I was even par after teeing off on 15. We had no lightening until then, and a bolt hit a pine tree close by which ended that round rather quickly. I think my buddies only kept playing because i had been under par until the 12th. We were all miserable, and that lightening allowed us all to say nope, i'm done