Frustration at Richlands

smoothsailin'

Spotswood has a Friday afternoon money game.  Everybody meets at the clubhouse at noon, throws in $20, low round takes all.  No handicaps.  Foursomes are drawn out of a hat.  Usually a couple hundred or better in the pot.  Have not been in a while but 68 degrees in December?  Fairways and greens baby!

Sounds a lot like Blue Ridge.  They have a money game every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, one for each day and one cumulative.  Basically the same deal, everyone pitches in between $5 and $20 but they do have a skin for lowest hole.  Some of the old-timers play "dots".  I have never played but evidently, you get a dot for a sandy, up and down, green in regulation, one putt, fairway hit, etc.  At the end, they add up the "dots" and tally up the wagers from there.  

We have done this with the Galax, Carroll and Grayson kids who play on the golf teams as well.  If the kids lose, they wash cars or something like that.  That is a big reason why Galax golf team has been so successful.  They have 4 team state titles, three runner-ups and two individual state champions since 2003.  I love seeing all the kids out there walking the golf course, playing a game they can enjoy for a lifetime and not sitting in front of the TV or XBox.

The competition at Blue Ridge is legit.  The USGA Four Ball team runner-up, Sherrill Britt has won our club championship three or four times since 2009.

I will be at Blue Ridge by noon.  See you there?!?!?

Seriously, I will come play Fincastle with you in the spring if you don't mind.  

Don't get off work until 2PM.  If you want to play an "emergency nine" (extra nine after the 18-hole round is complete...especially if you're losing money), I can be there around 4-ish...LOL...

Yes, we need to play Fincastle in the Spring...I'll be in touch!

That is a big reason why Galax golf team has been so successful.  They have 4 team state titles, three runner-ups and two individual state champions since 2003.  I love seeing all the kids out there walking the golf course, playing a game they can enjoy for a lifetime and not sitting in front of the TV or XBox.

I like to take part of the credit for that via the Blue Ridge Junior Golf Tour.  Worked with the Tour for 14 years, from its beginnings until 2013.  Its helped a lot of kids along the way...many have earned college scholarships thanks in part to the experience and the competition they faced while playing on the BRJGT.  Galax always has a ton of kids on the Tour, as has Giles, and more recently GW.  My wife still helps out with the BRJGT and I'm still consulted with on many issues within the operations side of the the organization.

I like to take part of the credit for that via the Blue Ridge Junior Golf Tour.  Worked with the Tour for 14 years, from its beginnings until 2013.  Its helped a lot of kids along the way...many have earned college scholarships thanks in part to the experience and the competition they faced while playing on the BRJGT.  Galax always has a ton of kids on the Tour, as has Giles, and more recently GW.  My wife still helps out with the BRJGT and I'm still consulted with on many issues within the operations side of the the organization.

Almost all of the kids, if not all, who are constantly running around Blue Ridge CC play on the BRJGT.  It is a great opportunity for them to compete.  Unless you have thousands of dollars for your kid to play AJGA, IJGT, or the PGA Junior Series, there isn't a lot of opportunity for kids to compete on a consistent basis.  Several kids I know very well have played on the BRJGT.  

Take all the credit you like.  Its a great service you helped provide the kids of our region!

Mance is known for cultivating a system at Richlands that is perpetually replicating with most any caliber athlete that comes through the system. Mance will get you deep into the playoffs almost every year. Mance is NOT known for stellar coaching performances in championship-level moments.

It has to be frustrating. I have nothing but respect for what Mance has built down in Richlands, but his tactics under pressure leave something to be desired.

I don't mean this to be disrespectful in any way....and Mance and his staff are truly fantastic...arguably the best all around coaching staff in SWVa and one of the top in the state of VA. However, it is well known in addition to his "cultivation" Mance recruits his fanny off....with the coal industry dying the way it is how can we legitimately say he isn't recruiting when you have players moving into RICHLANDS from Florida and other states....Also how many players are from WV, Tazewell, and elsewhere. Some schools don't graduate....they reload.....other schools like um "cough" Richlands don't graduate....they recruit!!! So if Mance really want's to get that next Ring he needs to offer up the OC job and give him the chief of police job to Graham's head Coach and let him bring his own personal recruit over in Jamora Cousin. Cousin in that offensive scheme with an effective passing attack and as solid as the rest of the RIchlands game is would be straight lethal!!!  

I don't mean this to be disrespectful in any way....and Mance and his staff are truly fantastic...arguably the best all around coaching staff in SWVa and one of the top in the state of VA. However, it is well known in addition to his "cultivation" Mance recruits his fanny off....with the coal industry dying the way it is how can we legitimately say he isn't recruiting when you have players moving into RICHLANDS from Florida and other states....Also how many players are from WV, Tazewell, and elsewhere. Some schools don't graduate....they reload.....other schools like um "cough" Richlands don't graduate....they recruit!!! So if Mance really want's to get that next Ring he needs to offer up the OC job and give him the chief of police job to Graham's head Coach and let him bring his own personal recruit over in Jamora Cousin. Cousin in that offensive scheme with an effective passing attack and as solid as the rest of the RIchlands game is would be straight lethal!!!  

This thread was turned into something fun about nothing in general.  Leave it that way!

You are not worth the time....Im enjoying the golf conversation a lot better than talking about the reasons we lost....lol

My best 18 is an 85 at Greenway Creek up at Chilhowie.  I just dont play enough to get very good in general.  Each year I will start a round great and then crap it away with my LOFT issue.  

As for the Captains Choice, I understand why many feel that way.  Myself on the other hand enjoy being able to just grip it and rip it and not worry about it as often as possible.  I would rather play my own ball to captains choice though and see how I legitimately play a course.  

What is everyone's best round of golf?

My best nine was a 30 from the back tees at Mountainview Golf Club just north of Birmingham, AL back in March of '98 playing with one of my best friends (yes, I used to have friends) and his future father and brother in law...he was getting married the next day. At the time, that was the unofficial nine-hole record for that nine (course record was 32-31-63). Hit two balls in the woods on the back nine to shoot 40, for a -2 round of 70.

My best 18-hole score was 31-36-67 at Fincastle from the back tees. I missed two short putts on the front nine and had a three-putt double bogey on #14, otherwise I could have been sub-65.

Also shot a few other 31s at Fincastle but never put a decent second nine with it.

Shot a +1 74 at Ashley Plantation here in Roanoke last summer. Had a 15 footer for bird on the last to shoot -1 and ran it past and left myself with a downhill 4 footer that lipped out. Was playing the best golf of my life during that stretch last summer. 

Any of you guys played played Ballyhack here in Roanoke? Played it during that same time when I was playing well and shot 95. Soul crushing course from start to finish. Been back a few times since and can't do any better than an 87. 

Shot a +1 74 at Ashley Plantation here in Roanoke last summer. Had a 15 footer for bird on the last to shoot -1 and ran it past and left myself with a downhill 4 footer that lipped out. Was playing the best golf of my life during that stretch last summer. 

Any of you guys played played Ballyhack here in Roanoke? Played it during that same time when I was playing well and shot 95. Soul crushing course from start to finish. Been back a few times since and can't do any better than an 87. 

I haven't played Ballyhack but was living near there when they were building it.  Still have friends in the area.  I hate Ashley!  Some very good holes, some that my 8 year old could design better and some that are just downright awful.

I haven't played Ballyhack but was living near there when they were building it.  Still have friends in the area.  I hate Ashley!  Some very good holes, some that my 8 year old could design better and some that are just downright awful.

Ashley Plantation is okay. The quality of the course has seemed to improve in the 3 years I have been living here but you're right some of the hole designs just leave you saying "meh". Typically I play a majority of my rounds at Hanging Rock, Ole Monty (another course that has drastically improved) and Blue Hills. Great Oaks in Floyd is another nice course, fun to play. Glad they made it public. 

Ashley Plantation is okay. The quality of the course has seemed to improve in the 3 years I have been living here but you're right some of the hole designs just leave you saying "meh". Typically I play a majority of my rounds at Hanging Rock, Ole Monty (another course that has drastically improved) and Blue Hills. Great Oaks in Floyd is another nice course, fun to play. Glad they made it public. 

I love Great Oaks.  In the middle of nowhere but it is a great course.  Ole Monterey was terrible when I first moved to Roanoke in 1999 but Kelly Krovo did some outstanding work getting it near what it once was.  Some people may be interested to know, Ole Monterey was designed by the same man who designed Pine Valley, Merion, The Country Club, Shinnecock Hills, Cherry Hills and Cobbs Creek.  Some incredible golf courses on William S. Flynn's resume.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Flynn_(golfer)

I killed two pheasant with one shot at Primland in 2013.

Two birdies with one shot. Top that

First ever shot in my first ever round of golf, a nasty fade out of the tee box into the woods. I walk the 250 yards or so and find my ball lying about 3 feet away from a twitching squirrel that was bleeding from the right side of its face.

That was God's sign of telling me to stick with bowling.

First ever shot in my first ever round of golf, a nasty fade out of the tee box into the woods. I walk the 250 yards or so and find my ball lying about 3 feet away from a twitching squirrel that was bleeding from the right side of its face.

That was God's sign of telling me to stick with bowling.

I would like to bowl more but it's a damn hour drive to Claypool Hill or Pikeville just to get to bowl. I miss the bowling alley at Vansant. I use to go there a lot plus had my kids birthday parties at Sandy Valley.

And down goes Danny Dorton, Jr....

tumblr_nyw3otZVTD1tlb56zo1_400.gif

This thread started out with some random guy claiming to be an "eastern 4A offensive coordinator" trashing Richlands coaching for the loss to Appomattox.  He got lit up with a handful of responses so he deleted his post (see post #1).  

We turned it into a fun, random thread about nothing at all.

It's turning into a golf thread.....  Tried to talk a little bit about "Knight Rider".....but not many people interested in that, I guess.

Who's got the best chicken wings??

I used to get some from "Ciro's" in Dublin that were pretty awesome....Now, I tend to make my own...  BW3 is coming to Princeton soon, I hear.... I'll be patiently waiting.  Have frequented the one in Blacksburg quite a bit...  

Also, Gino's has some good ones, they used to marinate their wings in pickle juice before deep frying them.  Also, they have some good cattleman's sauce to dip them in.

It's turning into a golf thread..... Tried to talk a little bit about "Knight Rider".....but not many people interested in that, I guess.

Who's got the best chicken wings??

I used to get some from "Ciro's" in Dublin that were pretty awesome....Now, I tend to make my own... BW3 is coming to Princeton soon, I hear.... I'll be patiently waiting. Have frequented the one in Blacksburg quite a bit...

Also, Gino's has some good ones, they used to marinate their wings in pickle juice before deep frying them. Also, they have some good cattleman's sauce to dip them in.

Buffalo Wild Wings is where it's at.

Buffalo Wild Wings is where it's at.

If you like doughballs with barely perceptible chicken centers, yes.

Also, had one of my 5 worst dining experiences at the BWW outside Huntington, WV. No, we cannot accommodate your request to show the NCAA men's soccer title game, because we must have 4 TVs on this side showing Cleveland/Oakland.* Also, food poisoning for you!**

*Actually happened just like that.

**I did get food poisoning, but a warning would be nice.

Hate that for you.  I've always had a good experience at the one in Blacksburg... I personally like the Spicy Garlic sauce or the Carribean Jerk.... good mixture of sweetness and hot....

I get the naked wings, don't have to worry about that "doughball" taste that you speak of.... A little game of trivia while you eat is cool too.

Did get a nasty case of food poisoning from the Red Lobster in C Burg one year, however..... still cringe to this day thinking about it.