Southwest Virginia Top 25

They are all good at something.  Most have areas in which they are not so good.  Yours just happens to struggle on the big stage.  Get over it Mr. Dookie.  You are all wound up because I pointed out that GC's head coach has a less than stellar record in the post season.  Facts are facts chrome dome.

Well I think it's just as much the players that are at fault than the coach. I graduated with the boys that made it to state in 2007 and 2008. We choked in 2007 as we had the best team in state.....in 2008 George Wythe was better and just outplayed us. Most of the time I think GC plays good team ball and makes it further than what their talent should allow.

And the senses are strong in you Bob! It's mutual respect..... And mutual dislike between us all in one.

Gameday.....................were you at the games last night? Just curious because I thought the GC fans were into the game the entire time. Union fans did come alive during the second half. First half they were comatose. 

It is also kind of funny that you first starting talking about how badly Union would beat GC, and when that did not happen, you now are talking about the fan's participation. Pretty funny stuff. What is next.........uniform colors?

Really like how you lump all of GC fan's together and bash them all. We all have our bad apples, but not real smart to judge an entire fan base based on the actions of a few. I certainly do not judge all Union fans based on the two adult men, standing beside the GC cheerleaders last night, who were cursing and being very offensive to the GC players on the court. Bad apples. We all have them.

Serious question................why do you build a brand new gym, which is very nice, and only put in 7 bleachers on the visitor's side?

Gameday.....................were you at the games last night? Just curious because I thought the GC fans were into the game the entire time. Union fans did come alive during the second half. First half they were comatose.

It is also kind of funny that you first starting talking about how badly Union would beat GC, and when that did not happen, you now are talking about the fan's participation. Pretty funny stuff. What is next.........uniform colors?

Really like how you lump all of GC fan's together and bash them all. We all have our bad apples, but not real smart to judge an entire fan base based on the actions of a few. I certainly do not judge all Union fans based on the two adult men, standing beside the GC cheerleaders last night, who were cursing and being very offensive to the GC players on the court. Bad apples. We all have them.

Serious question................why do you build a brand new gym, which is very nice, and only put in 7 bleachers on the visitor's side?

Both new Wise Co schools gyms are awful. I much rather watch a game anywhere else in swva than those two schools.

Someone from Virginia High running their mouth about GC? The only time you've hosted state quarterfinals, Gate City was the reason. It must suck knowing another team has won more trophies on your home court than you have. Maybe that's the reason VHS didn't want in the schedule this year. As for the great fans of Union, 2 years ago at Legion Field your "fans" were leaving in the 2nd quarter. I hope ole visor boy made it home safely. He was sure upset.

Quincy you ok man haha? Officials certainly weren't their best last night but what's done is done. GC and Union both have to put it behind them and hopefully Feb 9th is another big game.

And Visor Boy is kind of an inside joke. It involves an incident in 2014 where a guy from Union tried to charge up the bleachers to get to a bunch of GC fans.

I see the GC boys ruined their "forum" and now they are staining this one!  Predictable, boring and fatuous.

Quincy, M.D.; did not you get the memo that thin skin and small minds need not apply?  "My school beat your school" may have been useful in elementary school but does not pass mustard in the world of grownups.  Your refusal to face reality does not change the fact that your basketball coach has wilted under the bright lights.  And if you think beating VHS at the Bearcat Den hurts my feelings, I say "tsk, tsk" and shame on you.  Until you sprout an iota of wit, I suggest you crawl on back over to that barren waste land of juvenile gibberish you call home. 

And you follow that up by being on the wrong end of a 59 point thumping?  Head back to the holler Brer Rabbit.

Bob............personal attacks generally do not pass muster (BTW....not "mustard") in the world of grownups either. 

Sadly, I am forced to slightly agree with you on one point. GC does have a tendency to play sloppy/undisciplined at times. Seems that we sometimes try to focus on tempo, and become sloppy. We can generally get away with that against a lot of the local teams, but it hurts us against stronger competition. 

As a neutral observer (and I dont officiate basketball) can Vermillion really be looked at as coming up small in big games?  I know they havent won it all, but to be honest he has ran some teams up to Richmond that didnt have a lot of actual basketball talent when you watch them.  Good athletes, but not basketball players. This group to me is young and probably has the most actual collection of basketball skill on a team he has coached.  It probably takes a pretty good coach to get kids to Richmond on mostly athletic ability.

I dont mean to slight past athletes on those teams but thats the way I viewed quite a few of them.  I thought many of those teams might have 1 or 2 guys who were truly basketball players.

Cmon Stripes you know better than to use common sense on the message board! We need constant knee jerk reactions and the same BS over and over. As River said earlier, the only time I feel GC choked in Richmond was 07 vs Clarke. In 12 (I think) we beat VHS 3 times and laid an egg in the Region semis. That's the only two times I can remember ending the season thinking we had the better team.

I purposely used "Mustard" because the whining of Q-man reminded me of the color left in a whining baby's diaper.  You guys truly crack me up.  Personal attacks?  Really?  Before I waste any more time maybe you should re-read the posts.  Oh yeah, saying you are not thin skinned does not make it so.

As I recall, this is the only thread I have every discussed anything GC any time, any place.  The Blue Devils mean about this much to me (I am holding my right index finger about a quarter of an inch above my thumb).  I guess my noting that GC always has talent but IMHO plays in an undisciplined fashion is a personal attack.  But my question is an attack on who?  And noting that it may not now be that way, as I have not seen them play in a while is an attack?  If so, maybe I am guilty.  Call UVAO and sue me.

And this is directly to GC_Quincy:  You seem to think that VHS' success rate v. GC has some effect on my life.  Unlike some, I do not live vicariously through the high school exploits of teenagers.  I enjoy discussing sports in general with the folks on this board.  Every now and then, things get a little heated but no one, not even my old pal Ryan, acts like someone stuck them in the eye every time another poster makes an observation about their team/school/politics/diet/or frequency of bowel movements. 

Speaking of BMs...I have just enough time before the Steelers/Broncos kickoff... 

Stripes is spot on with his assessment. The team with Jessie McMurray that Scottie took to state in 04 or 05 was littered with football players. Maybe 1 or 2 true basketball athletes. The 07 and 08 GC teams were however the opposite as they were all basketball players that played on a traveling team together since 4th grade. The 07 season was the only let down of all the years Scottie has been there IMO. The 08 season yeilded the same group of players as 07..... But George Wythe was just several steps ahead in overall talent in 08 as they added several players that they didn't have in 07 when GC beat them. I also agree that the team GC has this year is probably the most athletically gifted basketball talent GC has ever had....just somewhat young.

But as an overall I feel like Coach Vermillion has exceled with most of his teams. He's not won it all but he has had alot of success.....more than the majority of coaches around here have had. My only gripe is the refusal of implementing the ZONE DEFENSE!!!!

I suppose all those other 2A schools have no football players on their teams?  Those Clarke County teams that went back to back were composed of ALL football players according to their rosters for those seasons.  Dan River is a football school.  Altavista is another example.  Point is that most small schools have multiple players playing multiple sports...it is not an issue isolated to one particular team/coach.

What does those other players from other schools have to do with anything about GCs players and coaching? No one said it was an isolated issue....its understood that most teams have dual sport athletes....I agree with you 100% on that. The point being made was Coach Vermillion has done a great job of coaching with the players he's had....alot of which were purely football players that first looked to the hardwoods as a means to just stay in shape til football season rolled back around. Some of which I know for a fact had never played basketball til they were Sophomores in high school. Point is Coach Vermillion has done an exceptional job in developing players and putting together consistently strong teams.