Southwest Virginia Top 25

Theres basketball teams that members who also particpate in football and then theres basketball teams whose members are football players.  There are some players who can excel at both, but its not that common as a whole.

Also, I do believe when people think of Altavista, basketball and girls volleyball is probably thought of across the state than football if you know of long term history.  Altavista doesnt have a long football tradition as a state player that goes beyond the last 10 years that I can think of.  Clarke has always been thought of as a basketball school in both genders across the state.

You sure about that???

Clarke Co. boys basketball has made it to the finals twice...2006 & 2007...and their girls made it the same two years.  Those are the only times in history that the boys have made it to the finals in basketball.

They have six state titles in boys cross country, six state titles in girls cross country, one trip to the finals in football, three state titles in boys soccer, two state titles and three runner-ups in girls soccer, one state title in boys tennis, one state title in girls tennis, two state titles and a runner-up in boys track, two state titles and two runner-ups in girls track, and a state title and two runner-ups in wrestling

I wouldn't think of Clarke County as a basketball school...

Im thinking of major sports, but I agree with your assessment.  I was thinking Clarke had made a few more state trips as a whole though, not just finals in both boys and girls basketball.  Maybe I have them mistaken.  George Mason is the girls team most would probably think of from that area though I would believe for girls basketball.

Still, that proves my point further that most wouldnt think of Clarke as a football school.

I think any coach who tries to limit kids by encouraging them to focus on one sport is incredibly selfish.  Players will be better overall athletes by using different muscle groups in different sports and fighting through adversity of a sport they arent as good at.   

Bob Stoops in an article talking about his recruitment of DeMarco Murray. 

DeMarco Murray was a 6-foot sophomore at Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas when the football coach told the skinny running back he was about to steer Bob Stoops through the gym during a visit to recruit another player.

David White, the Bishop Gorman football coach, suggested a dunk by Murray might catch the eye of the Oklahoma football coach.

Several minutes later, on cue and in plain sight, Murray bounced a basketball off the floor, angled it off the wall so it could carom back over a side backboard. While the ball pin-balled, Murray exploded into the air, performed a 360-degree pirouette, extended his arms and slammed the ball through the basket.

“Tell that kid, he has a scholarship to Oklahoma.â€

Union coaches to players... "Since we have a bunch of multisport athletes on this football team....many more than Gate City has, I believe we are the better team. Let's admit it. We came back and went ahead and they won on a lucky shot and then they went and proved who they really were getting beat the next night by 40, 50 or 100 to a Tennessee High team that we beat right out of football. We haven't been out of football that long and by the time February rolls around we will be winning on THEIR floor. Our better multisport athletes will show their one sport athletes how multisport athletes win every major sport in every major conference."

Yes Gate City. If a tree falls in the forest it does make a sound. The tree that falls in February will be you. Lucky for you the blind squirrel found a nut before the almighty tree fell. I saw a girl wearing a shirt for Gate City that said Tradition Starts Here. Union will be selling t-shirts in February after we beat the almighty GC that says TheU

GC Tradition Ends Here. After March, Tradition will be All About The U!

#RiseUp&BearDown

#TheU

#UnionBears

Bob......I re-read your post above as requested.....just from your post (#41) in this thread.....looks like you tell Quincy he has a "small mind", tell him to "sprout an iota of wit", and accuse him of using "juvenile gibberish". Guess it is possible I misinterpreted your remarks, but those look like personal attacks to me. My apologizes if I am too thin skinned. 

"As I recall, this is the only thread I have every discussed anything GC any time, any place."  For some reason, I would guess that this is not the case. Are you really saying that, besides this thread, you have never discussed anything GC related? Seriously? However, I don't want to put that much effort into finding out. If I end up having a snow day tomorrow, and the power stays on, I might give it some effort. 

"I guess my noting that GC always has talent but IMHO plays in an undisciplined fashion is a personal attack."   Not at all Bob. It is your personal opinion...which we all have. If you will go back and re-read my post, you will see that I kind of agree with you. 

Would I have liked GC to have won a couple of state championships the last 15 years, of course. Don't think you will find a GC fan that would say otherwise. We have underachieved some, and overachieved some. 

I'm curious............during the last 15 years, what AA Coaches in SW Virginia have done a better job than Vermillion? 

I got to see my first basketball game of the year last night.  I will say this, Castlewood plays a super aggressive defensive style and came back to win 62-56.  Rye Cove let it get the best of them in the 3rd quarter and lost a 12 point lead.  I dont know any of the box scores, but Holton Carter for RC shows a lot of promise in the post for RC.  Hes a 6-4 or 6-5 sophomore who attacks the glass.  If I had to guess he had around 20 pts 12 reb.  

If you think that was a personal attack, you "ain't seen nothing yet".  I guess a sense of humor is not required in GC; nor is the concept of sarcasm apparently.  Statements of fact are not attacks by the way! 

You have the everybody is against us mentality.  No, no they are not.  Do you guys ever just sit back and laugh at yourselves?  I would venture a large amount that you are not capable of such a feat.  I think it is really an insecurity issue for the most part.  But I guess it is possible that I am incorrect (perish the thought). 

I do not (and have not to my recollection) remarked about GC until this thread.  There may have been the passing mention in another thread but little else, if that much.  But go ahead and do your research.  Looks like the snow will allow plenty of time for that.

I will tell you straight up what I think about GC.  When I was in high school, no VHS team I played on had a worse than .500 record v. GC. You were a team in the SW District that we played.  That was it.  Our rivals were JSB, Tennessee High and Abingdon to a lesser extent.  GC was a tough place to play no matter the sport.  We always knew that we had to be prepared for a battle; did not like nor dislike GC; still the same today; respected their programs and players.  That is it my man.

I said and I meant that GC plays undisciplined basketball from my recollection of playing them and from what I have seen the last few games v. VHS. Nothing meant by that except that they have a lot of talent year in and year out but sometimes get lost in the one-on-one game.   I also said I have not seen them that much and things may be different now.  I said I think the coach has under performed on the big stage.  I believe the facts are right there for all to see.  GC always has the talent to win the district but has really achieved little more than that.  If you are okay with that, then good for you.  I seem to recall that GC only settles for rings so it is a little confusing that so much support is given a coach who has never won the ultimate prize given the talent over there. 

So there you are.  I feel a little less intelligent for having wasted perfectly good time discussing this but at least you now know exactly what I think of GC. 

I will answer your question with a question:  What coach in SWVA has achieved less with the talent GC has had over the tenure of his time at the helm? 

While you ponder that, I am off to clear the roads in my neighborhood...just because I am a nice guy!

If you think that was a personal attack, you "ain't seen nothing yet".  I guess a sense of humor is not required in GC; nor is the concept of sarcasm apparently.  Statements of fact are not attacks by the way! 

You have the everybody is against us mentality.  No, no they are not.  Do you guys ever just sit back and laugh at yourselves?  I would venture a large amount that you are not capable of such a feat.  I think it is really an insecurity issue for the most part.  But I guess it is possible that I am incorrect (perish the thought). 

I do not (and have not to my recollection) remarked about GC until this thread.  There may have been the passing mention in another thread but little else, if that much.  But go ahead and do your research.  Looks like the snow will allow plenty of time for that.

I will tell you straight up what I think about GC.  When I was in high school, no VHS team I played on had a worse than .500 record v. GC. You were a team in the SW District that we played.  That was it.  Our rivals were JSB, Tennessee High and Abingdon to a lesser extent.  GC was a tough place to play no matter the sport.  We always knew that we had to be prepared for a battle; did not like nor dislike GC; still the same today; respected their programs and players.  That is it my man.

I said and I meant that GC plays undisciplined basketball from my recollection of playing them and from what I have seen the last few games v. VHS. Nothing meant by that except that they have a lot of talent year in and year out but sometimes get lost in the one-on-one game.   I also said I have not seen them that much and things may be different now.  I said I think the coach has under performed on the big stage.  I believe the facts are right there for all to see.  GC always has the talent to win the district but has really achieved little more than that.  If you are okay with that, then good for you.  I seem to recall that GC only settles for rings so it is a little confusing that so much support is given a coach who has never won the ultimate prize given the talent over there. 

So there you are.  I feel a little less intelligent for having wasted perfectly good time discussing this but at least you now know exactly what I think of GC. 

I will answer your question with a question:  What coach in SWVA has achieved less with the talent GC has had over the tenure of his time at the helm?

While you ponder that, I am off to clear the roads in my neighborhood...just because I am a nice guy!

Barry Reed

I agree with you 1inStripes the kid from RC shows a lot of promise for the future for RC, Cwood has to be aggressive and hard nosed on D since they lack height. The 6 5 kid for RC also has those really long arms, if he grows another few inches he'll be scary to deal with.