Helmets

Bulldogs52

So I seen GW in the Clinch Valley today from the scrimmage with Richlands. They have on some helmets I've never seen before. Are those some sort of shock absorbing helmets, if so why isn't every team wearing them? They look pretty cool by the way!

I was at the Scrimmage with GW.  They looked like they are attached to the helmets somehow and can be removed.  I think something like this is a great idea to help with the concussion issue!!

Kinda makes sense in practice especially when numbers are low. But in a game? Come on now this game is already sissied up enough you can't hit anybody, you can't be physical at all. There has been one Physical old school style player around here in prob last 6-8 years and that was that Jesse boy from Wise. #59 he played rough mean style and would hit somebody. There ain't many like that anymore. Everybody is too scared of penalties or getting hurt. Sorry for the rant y'all

I watching them on the sidelines and they are able to adjust the air in these using a small hand pump.

They look like a very good idea and hope that sooner rather than later all the high schools and even the younger players are able to wear them.  Of course we know that it's mostly a matter of cost,  but if it saves any of the kids playing now days from potential brain injury it would make it worth it.....at least in my opinion.

Abingdon has instituted these for all down lineman during practice.  Not sure if they would wear them in games but they did have them on during their scrimmages at Volunteer last week.  Probably could save a possible concussion since interior line have multiple head contact week in and week out.

Kinda makes sense in practice especially when numbers are low. But in a game? Come on now this game is already sissied up enough you can't hit anybody, you can't be physical at all. There has been one Physical old school style player around here in prob last 6-8 years and that was that Jesse boy from Wise. #59 he played rough mean style and would hit somebody. There ain't many like that anymore. Everybody is too scared of penalties or getting hurt. Sorry for the rant y'all

Making the sport sissified or not, you be a damn fool to not want your kid out there without it if it's proven to work..... I'd like to know how many concussions I suffered when I played... The damn word wasn't ever mentioned!!! lol. And now when I read about the symptoms of them, I'm like damn that's what was wrong!

I mean you're not wrong but things just seem different. They're advancing and with improvements to gear and rule changes it doesn't even out for me. They make the rules to protect players. Well if you have the equipment to protect them why have these crazy rules that come for WRs and QBs. Idk maybe I'm just to old school lol.

I see more of a possible use for them with lineman than elsewhere.  There really isnt much scientific evidence to show that these are truly effective, especially for the more violent hits most people associate with concussions.  I think they possibly help more with the repetitive head contact lineman to produce though. 

Making the sport sissified or not, you be a damn fool to not want your kid out there without it if it's proven to work..... I'd like to know how many concussions I suffered when I played... The damn word wasn't ever mentioned!!! lol. And now when I read about the symptoms of them, I'm like damn that's what was wrong!

I feel the same way Bulldog,  I know back in your day and wayyyyy back in mine they would call it " getting your bell rung "  then say- now get back in there........if these things save at least one kid from having a concussion then they're worth it.

The game has already changed and your not going to put the genie back in the bottle,  and anything like this that helps keep the kids safe is a good thing.

Having only linemen wear them is dumb considering it takes speed to generate the force necessary for head injuries. Linemen get hit hard but the force is minimal vs what a safety or linebacker generates.

Why not just make bigger helmets and put these pads inside?

I may be wrong,  but I think the concussion issue really became a big issue with the death of Junior Seau.  I know there were some talk and research before that,  but his death really thrust it into the national light.

My playing career ended not too long ago. And the progress made towards preventing and diagnosing concussions has made tremendous strides. Like someone said above, I would like to know how many concussions I actually suffered from 7 years old until my high school career ended at 18 years old. I say I would be shocked at how many it was.

Having only linemen wear them is dumb considering it takes speed to generate the force necessary for head injuries. Linemen get hit hard but the force is minimal vs what a safety or linebacker generates.

Lineman face a different type of contact though.  Think of someone like Mike Webster and how bad of shape his brain was in when they tested it.  I think this type of thing might help lessen the number of those brain injuries.

I dont think its effective at all though in the more explosive contacts like faced by safeties/WR etc.  You can wrap an egg in as much bubble wrap as you want to and it wont break but it probably still sloshed around inside and that is the same effect to more catastrophic concussions.  

Why not just make bigger helmets and put these pads inside?

That is not true.  Speed is not what causes it.  Obviously you have never had concussion awareness training.  Blunt force to the head is what causes it, whether it be running and hitting or repetitive blows to the head.  Linemen sustain 70-75 minor to moderate blows to there head each practice.  Compare that to running backs and QB's that the coaches limit the number of hits and or contact allowed on them.  If they don't they aren't very good coaches IMHO.

I would be MUCH more concerned with my LBs, Safetys, WRs and RBs than my down linemen. Speed increases force and force causes concussions. All of them need to be protected but if im just putting those special covers on one group its not gonna be the linemen. Not saying repetitive hits aren't detrimental to ones brain just that those big hits worry me more. I do applaud them for actively trying to protect their players.

I played on the line and took an lot of hits to the head(including a lot one guy who lead head to head every play in practice) and by far the hits that bothered me the most happened in space. Pulling(a rare thing for me), flowing on a play as a DL, etc