Union @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

Union lost this game in the 4th quarter when they got the ball with 7 minutes left and reverted to the Spread instead of grinding the clock with the power T. Sure, they got the pick 6 on Richlands next possession to increase their lead, but it lit a fire on a Blues team who was physically beaten the 38 minutes.

Richlands finally got the ball moving when the idea of running was gone. #3 as a receiver out of the backfield or spread out in the 5 wr set worked the best. Union's #21 shut down Howie, but Blues #15 came through with the clutch catches late.

This Blues team needs some type of under center formation. 1st and goal @ the 1 would feel comfortable if you had an inside pound the ball threat. Also, perhaps a TE on the 4 WR set as Union's #7 beat the LT for sacks twice in the 4th, plus plenty of other pressure.

A lot of people seem down on the Blues defense, but I think you have to credit them. I don't think anybody expected that curveball (power T), and they ran it well. Outside of the reverse #82 scored on, they contained him most of the night. The defense played the spread very well, which bodes well for the Abingdon game. I'm sure they will work on run D this week, but with a short week to prepare for an improved Graham team, Cousin could be tough to stop.

Excellent game. To the portion of the crowd who left after the pick 6, y'all missed a helluva comeback!

I wouldn't say 21 shut down Cody. I would say 82 shut down that whole side of the field.

Union lost this game in the 4th quarter when they got the ball with 7 minutes left and reverted to the Spread instead of grinding the clock with the power T. Sure, they got the pick 6 on Richlands next possession to increase their lead, but it lit a fire on a Blues team who was physically beaten the 38 minutes.

Richlands finally got the ball moving when the idea of running was gone. #3 as a receiver out of the backfield or spread out in the 5 wr set worked the best. Union's #21 shut down Howie, but Blues #15 came through with the clutch catches late.

This Blues team needs some type of under center formation. 1st and goal @ the 1 would feel comfortable if you had an inside pound the ball threat. Also, perhaps a TE on the 4 WR set as Union's #7 beat the LT for sacks twice in the 4th, plus plenty of other pressure.

A lot of people seem down on the Blues defense, but I think you have to credit them. I don't think anybody expected that curveball (power T), and they ran it well. Outside of the reverse #82 scored on, they contained him most of the night. The defense played the spread very well, which bodes well for the Abingdon game. I'm sure they will work on run D this week, but with a short week to prepare for an improved Graham team, Cousin could be tough to stop.

Excellent game. To the portion of the crowd who left after the pick 6, y'all missed a helluva comeback!

I agree with this whole post except for one small portion. The comment about the "T" being unexpected. That's how Union beat Richlands last year. Union ran it in their scrimmage against Tenn High, the jamboree in Norton, and against Burton last week. They have ran it against Richlands every year except 2014. May have even tried it a few times that year too.

We all said it was coming. It wasn't unexpected, it's just hard to stop when executed properly.

I told you it would be full house all night, keep away ,no ball=no score .simple simple simple.great game really enjoyed it, would have enjoyed it more if I could have gotten one of those hotdogs,dang guys 10000 people and 2 concessions, all near each other.hope both teams win out, but if its the same to you lets skip the near 1000 mile round trip for the semi finals ok?

Hey guys, this Richlands/Union series for the last four years has been something

That Hollywood could not write or script. It's something ESPN should pick up

On. You just don't make up stuff like the last four games between these teams and

Communities. I have never seen anything like it. Simply unbelievable!

I agree with this whole post except for one small portion. The comment about the "T" being unexpected. That's how Union beat Richlands last year. Union ran it in their scrimmage against Tenn High, the jamboree in Norton, and against Burton last week. They have ran it against Richlands every year except 2014. May have even tried it a few times that year too.

We all said it was coming. It wasn't unexpected, it's just hard to stop when executed properly.

Spot on doppelganger.  I was expecting the "T" and we got it.  That won a few state titles for Turner's father.  Still works too! 

Hands down this is not the best richlands team I've seen. They are very beatable and very likely still be behind union when the seeds come out in November I can see richlands losing two games graham this week and Abingdon later down the road. They have no running game union stoped them with almost a 3 man front. Smallest offense line for them in all 6 years I've seen them play. If you can get pressure on jla he gets a little rattled doesn't look to run it but if you give him time he is truly money. Just my opinion.

This team has the potential to be one of the better teams Richlands has fielded.  With a little momentum, who knows.  At this point, Graham will be a major test, I hope the G-Men have already written us off.  But, I kinda doubt they have.  Abingdon is a great team, but that is much later in the season.  I see a few personnel moves and we will be fine.  If and I mean if, we run the table (not exactly impossible) we should be no less than second behind Appo.  We could be first, if you guys keep winning (good luck by the way) and A-town only drops one (to us.)  We do have to get better though.  I would like to the see the offensive fire they displayed in the last half of the 4th quarter for four quarters.  The next two games are key, a very dangerous Graham team and a very talented Central squad.

My opinion of this being the best Richlands that I've seen, is just that, an opinion. Sure the O-line struggled a little and JLA wasn't as sharp but keep in mind it's game 2. A big part of my opinion is based on the fact that not many, if any, high school teams have the DB's to cover #15 AND #11 along with the other weapons. If Richlands can figure out any type of run game they will be tough to compete with. Our DB's did a fair job of coverage but good coverage can be beat by a good athlete, just like #15 did to us on Friday. I see both teams getting better as the season progresses. Union's D Friday night made me a believer again!!

i  asked a question in a earlier post--is john luke hurting?i had no responce, i guess i have my anwer.i wasnt trying to get anything going but just a simple question----the graham scout noticed it too.he can still throw a fastball15-25 yards, his normal accurcy was off somewhat

i  asked a question in a earlier post--is john luke hurting?i had no responce, i guess i have my anwer.i wasnt trying to get anything going but just a simple question----the graham scout noticed it too.he can still throw a fastball15-25 yards, his normal accurcy was off somewhat

If he's hurt, no one is talking about it. I personally don't think he is. I think his throwing motion has just changed. 

you got that right, all bullets.i was saying on the longer throws he was a little high and overthrew, but who knows he may have seen good coverage and just got rid of it.he will only get better,just as he did against us and I pitty graham if he starts out like he finished against union

If he's hurt, no one is talking about it. I personally don't think he is. I think his throwing motion has just changed.

Get his mind off that girl tha he's drolling all over Instagram and Facebook with. I always see it happen, girl comes along and boom! Done for.