Union @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

I really thought it would be a blowout. Maybe Union's D isn't as bad as I thought after watching the Burton game. May be that the Blues weren't firing on all cylinders I didn't make it to the game so what is the story? Were the Blues playing their A game or slow start just make Union look good. Not taking anything away from either team just curious. In either case dang what a series it has been.

Union played a heck of a game on defense. And Turner going to the double tight, T Backfield was big. It limited the number of possessions Richlands could have. Surprised to see him go away from it at the end of regulation and try to go spread.

Richlands didn't look like they did last year for the second straight game. Gotta get that fixed. Period. Richlands can score at will then they are clicking. What a series.

Great game tonight!!! I would have lined up in a regular set for the 2 point play if that was my decision. Other than that I think Turner called a whale of a game. Unions defense played great JLA just made some absolute phenomenal throws in clutch situations. Richlands isnt very good at the moment but it's early and at the end of the day they are 2-0. Hopefully these days 2 meet up again!

Another great game between these 2

I really thought it would be a blowout. Maybe Union's D isn't as bad as I thought after watching the Burton game. May be that the Blues weren't firing on all cylinders I didn't make it to the game so what is the story? Were the Blues playing their A game or slow start just make Union look good. Not taking anything away from either team just curious. In either case dang what a series it has been.

It was a little bit of both.  Union played a great ballgame and those kids are to be commended.  Both teams played their hearts out and again it came down to the last play.........wow !

Richlands has got to improve if they plan to beat a Graham, or an Abingdon this year or make any kind of a run in the playoffs.  I think they can,  at times you can see the potential they have,  but at times you can also see just how much we need to improve.

Good luck to the Union team and it's fans in the rest of your season...............lets do this again before the year is out !

Thanks for the insight Ryan. The DB's are very green this year so that made me cringe while thinking about this game. Hope both teams continue to get better and make a splash in the playoffs.

Yeah one of the db's got picked on quite a bit tonight but the others played better.

Dear blues fans, I feel your pain from previous years now. Hopefully our boys don't let it get them down.

I think they'll be alright. We looked a lot better than I thought we were. We fumbled once inside the 5 and had another called back. Just have to maybe fix a couple positions in the secondary and well be alright. Good luck to Richland's the rest of the way, can't believe these games keep coming down to the end like this.

Hands down one of the best high school football games I've witnessed. Here's my take away points...IMO this Richlands team is the best I have seen them have, with a little cleanup against the run I think they could make a deep run. #15 had an amazing game, several balls he caught were not very well thrown but he made plays. The catch on the last TD in regulation was not something you see in high school football. I have to give my Bears a lot of credit. After the first series the D made good adjustments and really showed the potential they have. The offense showing the versatility to go to the double tight T will make the remainder of the schedule take notice. And finally, James Mitchell is special. Plain and simple... I don't think anyone can deny that. Great matchup, wouldn't surprise me if these two meet down the road this season.

Union had a great game plan ball control and very stingy def.Some calls didn't go d's bears way but that's football. But richlands battled back from 21 7 with less then 6 to play. These two teams never seem to disappoint lets hope for a rematch.

Hands down one of the best high school football games I've witnessed. Here's my take away points...IMO this Richlands team is the best I have seen them have, with a little cleanup against the run I think they could make a deep run. #15 had an amazing game, several balls he caught were not very well thrown but he made plays. The catch on the last TD in regulation was not something you see in high school football. I have to give my Bears a lot of credit. After the first series the D made good adjustments and really showed the potential they have. The offense showing the versatility to go to the double tight T will make the remainder of the schedule take notice. And finally, James Mitchell is special. Plain and simple... I don't think anyone can deny that. Great matchup, wouldn't surprise me if these two meet down the road this season.

Other posters have said that Richlands doesn't look as good as years past and they only had 7 yards rushing last night with no clear cut RB. What's the reason you said this is the best team you've seen them have?

Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2016 12:13 am

Richlands wins thriller over Union Allen Gregory | Bristol Herald Courier

57ca4f48e9e4d.image.jpg?resize=300%2C372

Emily Ball | Richlands News Press

Union-Richlands

Scottie Ball soars high to snag a pass for Richlands.

Team Stats

First Downs: U 13, Ric 12; Rushes-Yards: U 38-169 , Ric 17-7; Passing Yards: U 57, Ric 231 ; Comp-Att-Int.: U 5-7-1, Ric 21-38-1 ; Fumbles-Lost: U 1-1 , Ric 1-0; Penalties-Yards: U 4-35, Ric 6-60; Punts-Average: U 4-34, Ric 7-33.

Hands down this is not the best richlands team I've seen. They are very beatable and very likely still be behind union when the seeds come out in November I can see richlands losing two games graham this week and Abingdon later down the road. They have no running game union stoped them with almost a 3 man front. Smallest offense line for them in all 6 years I've seen them play. If you can get pressure on jla he gets a little rattled doesn't look to run it but if you give him time he is truly money. Just my opinion.

Hands down this is not the best richlands team I've seen. They are very beatable and very likely still be behind union when the seeds come out in November I can see richlands losing two games graham this week and Abingdon later down the road. They have no running game union stoped them with almost a 3 man front. Smallest offense line for them in all 6 years I've seen them play. If you can get pressure on jla he gets a little rattled doesn't look to run it but if you give him time he is truly money. Just my opinion.

I think most honest RHS fans would agree that this team is not the best team or most balanced we have had in this series  and as much as I would like to disagree with you.........I can't on most points.   We can't run the ball right now and the O-line especially on the left side needs to get better.  JLA is a fantastic QB,  but he does get a little  "happy feet" when he either gets hit or is rushed,  but he has one of the best arms I have seen in a while and usually makes pinpoint type of throws when he does have time..............with all that being said,  they also have a lot of potential and at times  that would shine through and at others ( especially 1st half,  for 2 weeks in a row ) they haven't looked as good as we had hoped.

But I was extremely proud of how the D showed so much heart last night.  At times Union just imposed their will in the power running game and our D would bend,  but would make a key stop when they had too.  Our LB's are very young and inexperienced and will get better,  and we don't have the size on the line or linebackers that we have had in the past,  but this bunch plays with heart and that showed last night !

I feel a game like this does nothing but help both teams grow and I expect both to get better as the season progresses.

Mitchell is just a fantastic player and everything I thought he would be and can't imagine how good he will be by the end of the season and especially next year !  And what can I say about Scotty Ball,  just a tremendous athlete with the best hands I have seen in a very long time !  He always makes BIG plays at big times !  

I know one of the Union fans ( Union's hammer )  mentioned something about the calls not going their way,  I know we felt the same way at times, BUT,  that happens every game where both teams feel calls didn't go their way.  I also believe that Union's hammer is not blaming the refs and was just making an observation and stating what he felt,  but because he mentioned it,  I just wanted to say that at times both sides probably felt that way.  I think the fact that there is no mention of the refs or calls until post 143 shows that the refs did a pretty good job out there. 

I have so much respect for the Union program and their fans,  they brought a LARGE contingent of fans and were loud and fantastic all night ! I hope this series continues for many years to come and can't wait for the day when GC is back to their rightful place and the series between these 3 schools will all be like the ones we have seen between the Bears and the Tornado's !

Sorry about the long winded post,  just had a lot to say.....lol

These games are just fantastic !

Good luck again Union and hope to see you again in the playoffs !

I said that this year's Union team is not the same team as last year, and after seeing Richlands last night, it is evident that they are not the same as last year either.

JLA was not as crisp as last year, but I think a lot of that had to do with Union's pressure. They could NOT get to him last year. Richlands' O-Line and defense are not as good as last year. Union's passing game and secondary is not as good as last year either. However, very proud of the Bears' D. MUCH improved from last week. They really came to play.

I felt that Union had several chances to put this game away when up 21-7, but just like the Blues in 2013 and 14 they got conservative. CANNOT do that in a close game against a good team. The 2 pt conversion in OT was a good play call. Mitchell was wide open. Just couldn't get the ball to him. Credit Richlands for snuffing that out.

2 great teams + 2 great and respectful fan bases = a FANTASTIC atmosphere year in and year out.

Series is now tied 3-3, so don't forget, come playoff time, that it's our turn to win! :)

Union lost this game in the 4th quarter when they got the ball with 7 minutes left and reverted to the Spread instead of grinding the clock with the power T. Sure, they got the pick 6 on Richlands next possession to increase their lead, but it lit a fire on a Blues team who was physically beaten the 38 minutes.

Richlands finally got the ball moving when the idea of running was gone. #3 as a receiver out of the backfield or spread out in the 5 wr set worked the best. Union's #21 shut down Howie, but Blues #15 came through with the clutch catches late.

This Blues team needs some type of under center formation. 1st and goal @ the 1 would feel comfortable if you had an inside pound the ball threat. Also, perhaps a TE on the 4 WR set as Union's #7 beat the LT for sacks twice in the 4th, plus plenty of other pressure.

A lot of people seem down on the Blues defense, but I think you have to credit them. I don't think anybody expected that curveball (power T), and they ran it well. Outside of the reverse #82 scored on, they contained him most of the night. The defense played the spread very well, which bodes well for the Abingdon game. I'm sure they will work on run D this week, but with a short week to prepare for an improved Graham team, Cousin could be tough to stop.

Excellent game. To the portion of the crowd who left after the pick 6, y'all missed a helluva comeback!