Roanoke Times Top 10

starcityfootballfan

Galax gets punished by Roanoke media, print and television, for not exactly being "local".  The cable and satellite affiliates available actually come from Winston Salem/Greensboro and Roanoke/Lynchburg with the WS/Greensboro channels getting the majority of the viewership.  This area at one time only got the WS/Greensboro affiliates until WSLS lobbied in Washington for an expanded coverage area when satellite television took off in the 80's.   I can't really remember if WSLS sued satellite companies, Neilson or both but it became a political issue so the "Twin Counties" were assigned by Neilson to both affiliate locations.  The Winston Salem Journal has a higher circulation locally than the Roanoke Times.  A lot of local residents work in in the Winston Salem area as well.  

It's a long running joke around Galax, Carroll and Grayson that the only time Roanoke media comes to town is for something extremely negative or something that can be sensationalized.

Not sure why Galax isn't on here. Defending 1A Champs and undefeated so far this season. Until beaten they have to be over GW. Congrats to Giles and GW for being the only schools lower than 3A to make it on the list.

Galax probably should be ranked, but not for the reasons that you give.

Being a defending champion should earn them a good look but the 2016 rankings should not be affected by the 2015 results. This isn't professional wrestling where you have to beat the man to be the man.

If a defending champion were to struggle with a team expected to go 0-10, that should hurt them because quality of a win has to matter (as does quality of a loss). You can' simply say that they get to hold a spot until they lose, it's not the same team as last year.

Still, Galax should definitely be in the top ten, imo.

Galax probably should be ranked, but not for the reasons that you give.

Being a defending champion should earn them a good look but the 2016 rankings should not be affected by the 2015 results. This isn't professional wrestling where you have to beat the man to be the man.

If a defending champion were to struggle with a team expected to go 0-10, that should hurt them because quality of a win has to matter (as does quality of a loss). You can' simply say that they get to hold a spot until they lose, it's not the same team as last year.

Still, Galax should definitely be in the top ten, imo.

I understand the premise of your statement and agree to a large extent but given the historically nonsensical VAPreps rankings, especially concerning SWVA teams, you may receive some push-back for this.

I understand the premise of your statement and agree to a large extent but given the historically nonsensical VAPreps rankings, especially concerning SWVA teams, you may receive some push-back for this.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I sure was thinking a thought akin to this very loudly.

I would think all ten teams listed would be favored to beat Galax if they played now.

I actually agree but my previous point still remains, Roanoke based media outlets largely ignore this area, Carroll and Grayson included, because this area is far more closely tied to Winston Salem/Greensboro.

Blacksburg and Giles would be the real question marks for me, but very likely they too may beat Galax.

Galax is going to have to improve significantly to contend with GW and Giles in my opinion.  Far too many unforced mistakes, penalties and sloppy turnovers.  

Counting the benefit game with Carroll, Galax has 11 fumbles, 1 interception and committed 37 enforced penalties through 4 games.  For the record, Galax has been assessed almost as many penalty yards as Grayson has rushing yardage.  This team doesn't have a Steven Peoples, Joseph Dixon, Caleb Spurlin  or Charles Harris to make up for the lack of discipline. 

LOL.

Anonymous complaints from messageboard posters have zero effect on my life. I've met too many thoughtful people willing to discuss their (and my) passion for the game to be bothered by the weirdoes.

Then why respond?

"Having zero effect" and completely avoiding conversations are different things.

I responded to SWVAGridiron because I am interested in conversations about how rankings should work and theories behind them. Same conversations that I have with the math guys like Gilliam and Hutchinson regarding their theories.

When sixcat responded that I'll likely get discredited for rankings that involved me in the past, I responded to say that those attacks won't bother me. I don't have a button that can be pushed. Sorry.

Either way, I stand by my original premise that a defending champion does not hold their spot until they lose. It's really not an outrageous idea. 

"Having zero effect" and completely avoiding conversations are different things.

I responded to SWVAGridiron because I am interested in conversations about how rankings should work and theories behind them. Same conversations that I have with the math guys like Gilliam and Hutchinson regarding their theories.

When sixcat responded that I'll likely get discredited for rankings that involved me in the past, I responded to say that those attacks won't bother me. I don't have a button that can be pushed. Sorry.

Either way, I stand by my original premise that a defending champion does not hold their spot until they lose. It's really not an outrageous idea. 

I don't believe anyone is suggesting you have an "outrageous idea".  While I agree, ranking from previous years shouldn't be factored into the following season, I still find it both fascinating and curious that VAPreps didn't reach out to this part of the state for so many years, yet, wanted to be taken seriously as a source for all things high school athletics.  Kudos to you, sir for doing so but you will have to expect a little mistrust given the landscape of VHSL athletics and the role VAPreps played in moving that perpetually forward.

I have advocated your being here from the beginning and even defended you openly in various forums.  You have taken strong stances and even called Tidewater and Richmond area schools out for complaining about travel time given what our communities have to deal with.  For that, I give you more kudos.  

But the fact remains, your opinion, regardless of how accurate I believe it to be concerning rankings and polls, regardless of how subjective they may be, simply doesn't carry very much weight on this side of the state.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting you have an "outrageous idea".  While I agree, ranking from previous years shouldn't be factored into the following season, I still find it both fascinating and curious that VAPreps didn't reach out to this part of the state for so many years, yet, wanted to be taken seriously as a source for all things high school athletics.  Kudos to you, sir for doing so but you will have to expect a little mistrust given the landscape of VHSL athletics and the role VAPreps played in moving that perpetually forward.

I have advocated your being here from the beginning and even defended you openly in various forums.  You have taken strong stances and even called Tidewater and Richmond area schools out for complaining about travel time given what our communities have to deal with.  For that, I give you more kudos.  

But the fact remains, your opinion, regardless of how accurate I believe it to be concerning rankings and polls, regardless of how subjective they may be, simply doesn't carry very much weight on this side of the state.

Completely understand your position.

During my time at VirginiaPreps, I did some things well and I have some regrets about not doing enough in other areas. Ultimately, I found some people willing to help and others more interested in throwing up obstacles. It's all part of the game, no problem. The more that I learned about SWVA, the more that my perspective changed. It was great fun.

I wouldn't expect my voice to carry much weight on that side of the state, that's fine.It won't stop me from trying to have conversations with people who seem to enjoy high school football as much as I do.

One of my favorite memories from my time there was my trip to the Richlands/Union game last season and, were I still with the site, I'd likely have made that trip (or a different one to SWVA) this season.

As a coach now, I've found my perspective on things continues to change and I'm sure that I will find people willing to have conversations about new ideas both here and in other places.

Appreciate your time, sixcat.

I understand what you are saying Rod but I just feel like a team that are defending Champs and that are still undefeated in the current season where they have won games by 3tds or more should make them more credible then GW. GW is very good, and could take Galax down Friday, but until they play I would keep Galax a spot over them. I would love for them to move this game to Saturday so that I could make it!

I understand what you are saying Rod but I just feel like a team that are defending Champs and that are still undefeated in the current season where they have won games by 3tds or more should make them more credible then GW. GW is very good, and could take Galax down Friday, but until they play I would keep Galax a spot over them. I would love for them to move this game to Saturday so that I could make it!

The real beauty of the situation is that Friday night will settle any disputes about the rankings. 

The scoreboard always provides the final answer. Should be a heck of a game.

But you said being the defending champion should get a good look but you can't base this year on last.  Okay.  Agree. 

But then you said that if the defending champ struggled against a team EXPECTED to go 0-10, that is a disqualifier.  You are basing the 0-10 prognosis on that teams prior season.   Can't have it both ways. Either last season counts or it does not.

But you said being the defending champion should get a good look but you can't base this year on last.  Okay.  Agree. 

But then you said that if the defending champ struggled against a team EXPECTED to go 0-10, that is a disqualifier.  You are basing the 0-10 prognosis on that teams prior season.   Can't have it both ways. Either last season counts or it does not.

Only if you see it as a 100 or 0 situation, which I do not. Additionally, I'm not basing the 0-10 prognosis solely on that team's prior season.

Last season and performance history should have some bearing but not enough to say that "Team A stays on top until they are beaten".