Is the coal industry leaving killing the talent in this area.

UniON_FoOtBaLL

I disagree mildly. Coal declining has affected the area school as far as enrollment goes... which leads into a bigger issue that our leaders of SWVA never really cared about what happens once coal is gone. They made their money and got out when the getting was good. However, as far as local athletic talent, I chalk that up as a changing of generation. The current generation is a generation that wants direct praise. They are a very entitled bunch for the most part. Of course you will have a few kids who understand hardwork/reward but for the most part if a kid does not get what they want after a small amount of effort they usually quit. 

Also at play is so many outside influences... Travel sports (where most athletes are praised as the next all star player from that town because they are tossing crazy amounts of cash at the coach), video games becoming more of a lifestyle ( it is not mario anymore), academics (for the most part if you want to attend a quality school you become a "bookworm" and only that), and finally your one sport athletes (They eat, breathe, and sleep their chosen sport often to become a notch above Medicare). 

I truly do not think "the talent is leaving" because that would infer that they were going to other schools to be successful (you never hear of a kid transferring away and going D1). What we have is a flawed system where coaches are at fault for pumping one sport athletes from a young age. Nothing grinds my gears more than those kids parents who are playing travel baseball/basketball and only that 365 days a year. 

I could elaborate more but I feel like this was a more so late night rambling from ole Dicky V!

All of you who think that it will not effect S.W Va. need to go to Rt. 52 in Bluefield and drive to Williamson and you will see what S.W Va. will look like in ten years. I believe that everything north of a line from Duffield to Abingdon will drop off dramatically in the coming years. The schools closet to the Tri-Cities will fair the best but the further north you are the worse off you will be. A few schools might hang on a little longer but the overall trend is on a downward spiral, all this can change if coal takes an upswing but don't ever count on it being as good as it once was, the politicians in the Federal Government have seen to that. It is a sad point in the history of S.W Va. but it is the reality we know face.  

I disagree. SWVA has faced the lay offs a few years ago. I feel like the damage is done. The problem is now when the current generation and the generation before that (Generation Y I think) are NOT coming back home after college. They are flocking to more populated areas where jobs are more abundant in their major. That is ultimately going to hurt the area the most since there was never a fall back plan for "After Coal". This area back in the 50s/60s/70s/80s was coal coal coal with small emphasis on anything else. The area really has no one else to blame but themselves... even though it sure is fun to blame Obama and the liberals lol. I will say they definitely have not helped the economy in our area. 

I can say that mining support industries in Smyth Co are being effected. Not living in the actual

Coal fields, I can not honestly comment on how low the industry will dip in the economy in

The coal counties. From what I do read and hear about the coal industry, the industry as it was

Once, King Coal, is never coming back. The EPA has set standards that has handcuffed the industry.

I did see that Virginia's present Governor has given some grant funds to help up start alternative

Industries. The employment rate has to be high in several counties. As for Folks moving out, we'll

Not sure about that, but I do see many folks driving out of the coal fields to the Tri Cities,

Washington and Smyth counties for employment. Their actual move out of the coal fields probably

Will come later, after the drive becomes old, and a new job elsewhere soldilidifies.

Student enrollment is down all across SWVA, not just in coal producing counties. Hopefully, it

Will stabilize soon, and the tax dollars supporting education can become more reliable. I think

Efforts have to be pointed to alternative industries , and not so much trying to get mining back in

A place where the gov't is not interested in spending money, i.e. The mining industry.

I'm sure the enrollment numbers for the schools in Tazewell county are probably down and in some ways that is having an effect on the level of talent in our area.  From a football standpoint the option for kids to play different sports in the fall to me is hurting the numbers and talent the most.  When I was a kid when August rolled around it was time for football.  Today a kid can play travel baseball, soccer, join the swim team at the Y, or just stay at home and play the XBOX.  The number of kids in the 5-12 year old age group that are playing football in the fall has drastically declined over the past 6 or 7 years.    

Before calling out generations, be sure it relates to the problem or youll look like an idiot. It's due to technology and the time needed to be invested. The time that needs to be invest is at an all time high, the time most kids spend in sports is at an all time low thanks to technology.

If we are talking about the economy and the job market then you can start calling out generations, and the baby boomers and their pathetic kids better be the emphasis

The problems y,z,and this generation face, should not have even come to pass..

I don't think the Politicians killed our coal industry, the mines are just played out. I do think that the Feds have stomped out every hope of it coming back. Everything in business is all about profit and mining coal here is not profitable now. Economics built the coffin and the government nailed the lid on the it.

Before calling out generations, be sure it relates to the problem or youll look like an idiot. It's due to technology and the time needed to be invested. The time that needs to be invest is at an all time high, the time most kids spend in sports is at an all time low thanks to technology.

If we are talking about the economy and the job market then you can start calling out generations, and the baby boomers and their pathetic kids better be the emphasis

The problems y,z,and this generation face, should not have even come to pass..

Looks like I struck a nerve there... I feel like for the most part we agree with one another. 

Bottom line, this area is a blue collar area for the most part. However, the blue collar jobs are now scarce so generations that is taught white collar degrees are not returning. 

I don't think the Politicians killed our coal industry, the mines are just played out. I do think that the Feds have stomped out every hope of it coming back. Everything in business is all about profit and mining coal here is not profitable now. Economics built the coffin and the government nailed the lid on the it.

Mines aren't played out but the market is as Obamas energy plan has crushed the Steam market....It's not all political I agree as the power plants that we in the Central Appalachian region ship to never upgraded there plants and got themselves regulated out of business. Being on the selling and shipping side for 25 years there are Coal fired plants capable of burning 5% sulfur coal with no emission other than steam out the stacks. Greed prevented them from building them and we will pay for that on down the road. MET coal is coming back some what as China and Brazil want our coal but the EPA refusal of issuing permits for PIer loading facilities will keep the growth to a minimum as you can only crowd Tidewater (NS) terminal with so much coal for over seas market....Will that stabilize the exodus of people leaving? maybe for a while but a glut at the Piers will cause more layoffs on the MET side after a while but a change in attitude towards coal in Washington could definitely stop the bleeding. Give the Utilities the tax break incentive to build modern plants and we will thrive in our region again eventually.

Everything mentioned plays a part. Fall travel baseball upsets me the most, ive threatened to start a spring flag football league just to give it right back to baseball lol. Fall soccer hurts some too

My son has played travel fall ball for the past 3 years. Reason being, he was burnt out on football. Playing since he was 5 he just got burnt out. My fault? Yes. Shouldn't have started him so young. Fall baseball was a great way to keep him active and not home playing on the Xbox! He realised that he missed playing football and played 8th/9th this year and fell back in love with the game. I won't down fallball of any kind because it keeps the kids outdoors and active!

As far as starting a spring flag football league, go for it, the more kids that are out playing something the better.

Travel ball is better than sitting at the house, no doubt about it. Becoming burnt out is a fear I have with fall ball or fall soccer, it just seems like a lot to play 1 sport 2 seasons a year. I personally dislike baseball(just not my thing) but fall ball takes players away from football and imo hurts the sport.

Im hearing about a lot of kids that are "taking a year off" or are "burnt out" with football at pretty early ages. How are these kids playing so much football that they need to take a break from the game, im asking you Tilt because you've been through it. I just cant imaging a little league player playing that much football. Or is it a matter of football at that age being too serious for them to have fun? 

Travel ball is better than sitting at the house, no doubt about it. Becoming burnt out is a fear I have with fall ball or fall soccer, it just seems like a lot to play 1 sport 2 seasons a year. I personally dislike baseball(just not my thing) but fall ball takes players away from football and imo hurts the sport.

Im hearing about a lot of kids that are "taking a year off" or are "burnt out" with football at pretty early ages. How are these kids playing so much football that they need to take a break from the game, im asking you Tilt because you've been through it. I just cant imaging a little league player playing that much football. Or is it a matter of football at that age being too serious for them to have fun? 

I don't know the issues other communities are having but several local kids are being placed in 2 or even 3 sandlot leagues at the same time by their idiot fathers.  I can give you a dozen or more example by name and the dad's think they are doing these kids a favor.

I don't know the issues other communities are having but several local kids are being placed in 2 or even 3 sandlot leagues at the same time by their idiot fathers.  I can give you a dozen or more example by name and the dad's think they are doing these kids a favor.

We have several kids that play little league football and travel baseball or travel soccer during the fall season.  This creates an absolute nightmare when you only have 13-14 kids on a team.  Come Saturday little Johnny may decide he wants to play baseball that weekend instead of football.  Sometimes the coach gets a call from the mom and sometimes he doesn't.  Practices are the same way.  I have seen kids this year finish a little league football game in one league and go to the parking lot change uniforms and drive to another game for a different team in another league.  That's entirely too much football for any kid IMO.  Unfortunately in our area it seems parents are chasing the dream of their child becoming the next Ahmad Bradshaw.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with having dreams but let that 8 year old child have a little fun and stop giving his little league coach/dad a hard time for not developing him into the next Bradshaw at 8 years of age.  Happens all the time.  

I can only give myself as an example. Lifelong resident of Tazewell county. Went off to college and returned to Tazewell county. In March my job left the area and went to Roanoke. I moved my household's two professional positions and Tazewell County student to Franklin County. I'm only one.

I can only give myself as an example. Lifelong resident of Tazewell county. Went off to college and returned to Tazewell county. In March my job left the area and went to Roanoke. I moved my household's two professional positions and Tazewell County student to Franklin County. I'm only one.

We have several kids that play little league football and travel baseball or travel soccer during the fall season.  This creates an absolute nightmare when you only have 13-14 kids on a team.  Come Saturday little Johnny may decide he wants to play baseball that weekend instead of football.  Sometimes the coach gets a call from the mom and sometimes he doesn't.  Practices are the same way.  I have seen kids this year finish a little league football game in one league and go to the parking lot change uniforms and drive to another game for a different team in another league.  That's entirely too much football for any kid IMO.  Unfortunately in our area it seems parents are chasing the dream of their child becoming the next Ahmad Bradshaw.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with having dreams but let that 8 year old child have a little fun and stop giving his little league coach/dad a hard time for not developing him into the next Bradshaw at 8 years of age.  Happens all the time.  

Fall baseball isn't a big thing around here.  Soccer runs year around but doesn't distract from football.  There just isn't any crossover there.  We do have several dad's who think they, being 5'-8" tall weighing 155 pounds, will produce a 6'-2" 250 pound kid who will become the next Caleb Spurlin.  I agree, nothing wrong with having dreams but perspective matters just as much.

Galax separated it's youth football program from Grayson and Carroll several years ago and refuse to play them.  The result is, a group of dad's got together and formed a Galax team that plays a full season schedule in Galax against the other 3 Galax teams as well as all of the Grayson and Carroll teams.  Those kids are playing 2 and sometimes 3 games per week from late August until early November. 

Fall baseball isn't a big thing around here. Soccer runs year around but doesn't distract from football. There just isn't any crossover there. We do have several dad's who think they, being 5'-8" tall weighing 155 pounds, will produce a 6'-2" 250 pound kid who will become the next Caleb Spurlin. I agree, nothing wrong with having dreams but perspective matters just as much.

Galax separated it's youth football program from Grayson and Carroll several years ago and refuse to play them. The result is, a group of dad's got together and formed a Galax team that plays a full season schedule in Galax against the other 3 Galax teams as well as all of the Grayson and Carroll teams. Those kids are playing 2 and sometimes 3 games per week from late August until early November.

sounds like some egos need to let it go and have one collective league that serves the whole county, or a geographic region.

Travel ball is better than sitting at the house, no doubt about it. Becoming burnt out is a fear I have with fall ball or fall soccer, it just seems like a lot to play 1 sport 2 seasons a year. I personally dislike baseball(just not my thing) but fall ball takes players away from football and imo hurts the sport.

Playing in the RMFL starting in August ending in October practicing or playing every day except for Wednesday and Sundays at 5,6,7 was to much for him. It didn't help that he was on the other Honaker team not the orange and black one that all the "names" went to. He's not the best by no means but he was the one that they keyed on and he took a beating every game. His last year he played after the season was over we took a travel football team down to Knoxville to play in a big tournament down there. That added another month worth of practice and games to that year. By the time next season rolled around he said he didnt want to play football anymore so we played a little fall baseball instead.

Tilt I can't blame you for letting him do what he wanted. I'm glad he came back to football, greatest game in the world.

I can't imagine that much football. I loved the game but when the season was over I was ready for a break. A couple of weeks later I missed it but at the time I was done. We've gotta be careful with how far/hard we push kids.