Glenvar @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

I may be in the minority, but as a Richlands fan this game worries me. In my opinion in the last few weeks the offense just hasn't had that "it" factor. Now in saying that I know they put up 49 and 51 in the last two games after the loss at Abingdon and they've been trying to run the ball more often, but I feel like the timing in the passing game has just been off. I really feel like John lukes confidence is off and he's been slinging a lot of open pass plays too high or long pretty consistently. I'm sure part of the problem is that Howie hasn't been healthy in a while or ball for that matter. But I feel like they've lost something in the last several weeks. Just my opinion and I hope they come out hitting on all cylinders this week and in the future.

I may be in the minority, but as a Richlands fan this game worries me. In my opinion in the last few weeks the offense just hasn't had that "it" factor. Now in saying that I know they put up 49 and 51 in the last two games after the loss at Abingdon and they've been trying to run the ball more often, but I feel like the timing in the passing game has just been off. I really feel like John lukes confidence is off and he's been slinging a lot of open pass plays too high or long pretty consistently. I'm sure part of the problem is that Howie hasn't been healthy in a while or ball for that matter. But I feel like they've lost something in the last several weeks. Just my opinion and I hope they come out hitting on all cylinders this week and in the future.

Felt the same way until i realized they are just looking like a different team and not throwing it up 40 times a game the past 2 games. Mance has really focused on the run game and i loved the play selection i seen against Battle. Mixed it up really well. Glenvar will be a tough matchup i believe. They beat a solid Giles team so you know theyre going to be tough up front.

Excluding defensive penalties, Richlands hasn't surrendered a first down in the first 3 quarters of the last 2 games. Players are getting healthy, and they ran for 255 yards last night. I see reasons to be optimistic.

I agree. And I'm all for working on the running game and improving in that aspect because they have to have the ability to punch it in in the red zone in order to have a shot a championship. I just don't want them to lose who they are and what makes this team so special. They have a receiving Core most teams will only dream of and a qb who can straight light it up like a laser when he's on. A strong running attack and that prolific passing attack combined could make this team extremely difficult to stop regardless of the defense. I know mance knows football to a far superior level than I do. I just want to see that running game as an addition to the lethal passing attack, not an instead of.

Here is writeup BHC had with their prediction for the game:

Glenvar (9-2) at Richlands (10-1)

7:30P.M.

First Meeting.

The Richlands passing game must make the difference here against the rugged Glenvar

defense.  Six-foot-two senior QB John-Luke Asbury passed for 2,407 yards and 36 scores in the regular season.  Asbury, who can launch 50-yard bombs and deliver slant passes with precision, has the ability to read defenses while staying calm in the pocket.  The return of Cody Howie, who missed last week's game with a fractured toe, will be vital to the Richlands offense.  A 6-2 senior with speed and leaping ability, Howie has 51 receptions for 815 yards and 13 scores.....The Richlands defense, which allows just 11.8 points per game, features steady and smart hitters such as 6 foot linebacker Seth Johnson, junior tackle Andrew Dye (6-3, 270) and versatile 6-2 sophomore Race Moir....Glenvar dropped a 28-27 thriller at Union in the third round of last season's playoffs.  The Highlanders rushed for 151 yards and passed for 162, but could not convert a 2-point conversion attempt with 1:50 left in the game....Last week against Gate City, Glenvar opened a 21-0 lead against the No. 11 seed, but had to hang on for a 34-27 win.  Glenvar coach Kevin Clifford favors a power running game, but the Highlanders established an effective passing attack against GC as Jacob Mullins threw for 178 yards with three scores and Alec Thompson amassed 111 yards receiving.  RB Jack Leonard and receiver Demerea Humphreys are other Glenvar players to watch on offense. 

Prediction:  Richlands 24, Glenvar 14