1A/2A top 5

Dick_Vitale

I'll say it for you guys.. Union's not a Top 5 team on any list. Until Coach figures out who to play and in what position they will struggle all season long. Not taking anything away from Eastside, IMO in 1A they will be good, but Union has way to much talent to not beat them by 10. Union has 8-9 kids that can really play, only 6 played the whole 2nd half. We were dead by the 4th quarter. Free throw shooting was horrendous at best, rebounding was just as bad. Offensively we looked like a bunch of guys playing a pickup game on a Sunday afternoon. Everybody wanted to shoot, nobody wanted to rebound. Some of it can be blamed on a late start because of football but not every kid plays football. Union's biggest problem is they are trying to play with 5 forwards.. No true PG and no C at all. Just can't win that way. Best example was the last possession, Union gets the ball with 18 seconds to go down by 1. Best look we get is a hail mary 3 with 5 seconds to go.

Chatham is 5-0. Also seen where their leading scorer and also another talented player didn't even play last night against DR. Not sure if that's true or not....so take it for what it's worth.

Chatham generally is not a big discussion piece regarding basketball but they are 5-0. I do not know much about conference 37/38 besides when we cross bracket with them down this way. What I thought I knew was DR returned several solid players off a pretty good team last year. I suppose time will tell though. For now, I would probably knock DR down a few notches. Will probably update my personal ranking Sunday since I have seen a few more teams and plan on seeing more this weekend. 

I'll say it for you guys.. Union's not a Top 5 team on any list. Until Coach figures out who to play and in what position they will struggle all season long. Not taking anything away from Eastside, IMO in 1A they will be good, but Union has way to much talent to not beat them by 10. Union has 8-9 kids that can really play, only 6 played the whole 2nd half. We were dead by the 4th quarter. Free throw shooting was horrendous at best, rebounding was just as bad. Offensively we looked like a bunch of guys playing a pickup game on a Sunday afternoon. Everybody wanted to shoot, nobody wanted to rebound. Some of it can be blamed on a late start because of football but not every kid plays football. Union's biggest problem is they are trying to play with 5 forwards.. No true PG and no C at all. Just can't win that way. Best example was the last possession, Union gets the ball with 18 seconds to go down by 1. Best look we get is a hail mary 3 with 5 seconds to go.

Relax guy... you'll get at least two conference wins over us.  Lol.

If there's a team in the MD that crashes the boards hard and knows how to make savvy backdoor cuts and pick & rolls they may do better than one would expect against GC. GC has unreal talent no doubt....but they are a work in progress this early in the season. The sky is the limit on their maxed out potential....just need to polish up on rebounding and turn up the dial on defense. When the Blue Devils get the kinks worked out....it's gonna be one hell of a season for them.

If there's a team in the CMD that crashes the boards hard and knows how to make savvy backdoor cuts and pick & rolls they may do better than one would expect against GC. GC has unreal talent no doubt....but they are a work in progress this early in the season. The sky is the limit on their maxed out potential....just need to polish up on rebounding and turn up the dial on defense. When the Blue Devils get the kinks worked out....it's gonna be one hell of a season for them.

The CMD doesn't exist, so I say we are fine.

Graham "scrimmaged" Union at Union and Honaker at home.  Sorry, I shouldn't  have assumed you were a Graham fan, that is my fault.  Graduation will hurt Graham, I agree with you. From what I am hearing they shoot the ball very well, play solid defense, and I saw very good handles and good decision making last year, I just like them.  But its an early season thought on a message board. 

On a different note:  John Battle is a dark horse in the CM? because they beat Eastside?  OK?   

Graham "scrimmaged" Union at Union and Honaker at home.  Sorry, I shouldn't  have assumed you were a Graham fan, that is my fault.  Graduation will hurt Graham, I agree with you. From what I am hearing they shoot the ball very well, play solid defense, and I saw very good handles and good decision making last year, I just like them.  But its an early season thought on a message board. 

On a different note:  John Battle is a dark horse in the CM? because they beat Eastside?  OK?   

I side with you about the JB being a dark horse idea., 

However, I am not sold on Graham. A lot of kids playing meaningful minutes that haven't really seen meaningful minutes in the past. Time will help them and by Feb they will be a tough draw for anyone. 

On a different note: John Battle is a dark horse in the CM? because they beat Eastside? OK?

They're better than Lee and Ridgeview for sure. And more than likely they'll beat Wise Central. They at least put up points on Eastside and beat them, so right now I put them above Union. Lebanon is probably equal with Battle but hasn't played anyone worth playing yet. And Virginia High is a middle of the pack team in the conference. So ya, right now JSB is a dark horse in the CM.

1) GC

2) Leb

3) JSB

4) Union

5) VHS

6) WC

7) Lee

8) RV

Yea I agree, I don't see Union going very long without getting it together and should and could finish 2nd behind Gate City. They have a really good test tomorrow at Sullivan East, I don't see Union pulling that one out of their hat. But they should be able to defeat Tennessee High on Saturday. I would start to worry if they don't.

Dick V you make valid points.  Lets see how it plays out. 

Larry... you are normally the voice of reason, but I cant follow your logic on this one....  under your reasoning you may have to put Lee ahead of Union B/C Lee took Eastside to overtime and Union couldn't do that. Oh and Rye Cove beat Lee so is Rye Cove is now better than Union.  Come on guys

Unions first game was a rusty one and Eastside played well.  

"The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way you should bet." 

Yeah, Union is the 2nd best team in the CMD/C40. They played a rough game against an Eastside team that was lights out. I have seen Leb and union is better than Leb... Just my 2 cents worth. 

C40 is a battle for 2nd. GC has that wrapped up. 

C39 is also a battle for 2nd, for the most part. Richlands has the in the bag unless they lay an egg playing Graham which is possible. Richlands has a complex when they see the GMen on the court. Grundy is a sneaky dark horse team in C39. They got a transfer from Finland that is 6'5 with the addition of two other quality guards. If teams look past Grundy they are liable to beat a good team. 

Other than a scrimmage, I don't think Martinsville has played Chatham in a few years now.  Chatham did defeat Dan River though.  I'm guessing that you meant to say that Halifax "sunseated" Mavahi.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but this year's Halifax squad would unseat pretty much any 2A team they played.  And that's not a put down to any team out there or a statement to try and prop up the Bulldogs. Halifax has 1000 more students than 2A schools --- and in a year where they're really good, they should beat any 2A school. 

It did seem to thrill the 5A Comets to take down the defending 2A champs, though, as they were heard chanting "F the Bulldogs" while leaving the floor and heading into the visitor's locker room.

Villanova and high school basketball. Great comparison. Martinsville is and will continue to be #1 in 2A IMO because their conference schedule is made up of 4A and 5A teams. When playoff time rolls around and they play the cupcake teams from down in Hicksville SW VA USA it will be the same ol story.

If Radford was 2A this year instead of next they would be the 2nd best team in 2A.

And that's stil with our best player out.

Group 2A still belongs to Martinsville and will belong to Mattinsville because they have way more athletes and way better competition than anybody in the sorry mountain conferences ever will.

Do not build your self up believing you are all that when you haven't done anything yet.

Martinsville has done it. Twice in a row in fact. I think that warrants a big fat #1 ranking.

Talk on here is only talk. Get to Richmomd and prove everyone else wrong about who is best. Put up or shut up.

And until you prove to the best that you are the best you will not be anything more than a hick team from the mountains that likes to run their mouth. IMO that is.

(Not trying to start anything just stating facts!)

They're better than Lee and Ridgeview for sure. And more than likely they'll beat Wise Central. They at least put up points on Eastside and beat them, so right now I put them above Union. Lebanon is probably equal with Battle but hasn't played anyone worth playing yet. And Virginia High is a middle of the pack team in the conference. So ya, right now JSB is a dark horse in the CM.

1) GC

2) Leb

3) JSB

4) Union

5) VHS

6) WC

7) Lee

8) RV

Will be hard for Virginia High to finish anywhere in the CM, when they're not even in it.  ;)

Lol