1A/2A top 5

Dick_Vitale

Villanova and high school basketball. Great comparison. Martinsville is and will continue to be #1 in 2A IMO because their conference schedule is made up of 4A and 5A teams. When playoff time rolls around and they play the cupcake teams from down in Hicksville SW VA USA it will be the same ol story.

If Radford was 2A this year instead of next they would be the 2nd best team in 2A.

And that's stil with our best player out.

Group 2A still belongs to Martinsville and will belong to Mattinsville because they have way more athletes and way better competition than anybody in the sorry mountain conferences ever will.

Do not build your self up believing you are all that when you haven't done anything yet.

Martinsville has done it. Twice in a row in fact. I think that warrants a big fat #1 ranking.

Talk on here is only talk. Get to Richmomd and prove everyone else wrong about who is best. Put up or shut up.

And until you prove to the best that you are the best you will not be anything more than a hick team from the mountains that likes to run their mouth. IMO that is.

(Not trying to start anything just stating facts!)

I think it is a pretty valid comparison. Same sport and roughly a few years a part age wise. Bottom line, Villanova won the national championship and was pre season ranked #4. Same boat as Mavahi. 

Whatever tickles your pickle though big guy. Everyone has opinions and see your POV... just disagree with keeping a team at the top spot for what they have done in the past. This is a new team a Mavahi and Holland is not running out of the tunnel anymore to play. 

*Edit: mixed up DR and Mavahi losses

Dick V you make valid points. Lets see how it plays out.

Larry... you are normally the voice of reason, but I cant follow your logic on this one.... under your reasoning you may have to put Lee ahead of Union B/C Lee took Eastside to overtime and Union couldn't do that. Oh and Rye Cove beat Lee so is Rye Cove is now better than Union. Come on guys

Unions first game was a rusty one and Eastside played well.

"The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way you should bet."

No, Rye Cove is NOT better than Union. Lee High is not better than Union. Union shouldn't have lost to Eastside. And Lee taking Eastside to OT means absolutely nothing, but Ws and Ls do. Eastside shouldn't be within 10 points of an athletic team like Union. But until Union proves they can play and score more than 40 points they will be 4th in my poll, the 3 teams I've ranked in front of them have at least won ballgames. So there's that.

I think it is a pretty valid comparison. Same sport and roughly a few years a part age wise. Bottom line, Villanova won the national championship and was pre season ranked #4. Same boat as Mavahi. I do not consider the halifax loss worthy of dropping them down any but the Chatham loss is justified IMO as dropping them form the top spot. I guess i struck a nerve. What is Mavahi goes 10-12... are they still the #1 team in the state? nahhhhh

Whatever tickles your pickle though big guy. Everyone has opinions and see your POV... just disagree with keeping a team at the top spot for what they have done in the past. This is a new team a Mavahi and Holland is not running out of the tunnel anymore to play.

OK, Larry how much do you want to put on the Union Vs John Battle Games? 

Baring Major injuries from either team. Name it.  (Maybe I Could pick you up a Union Bears shirt to wear to the GC games. if the U wins) Ha ha    

The Saturdays night game at Gate City ..   What do you know about the visitors?  I could not find anything on them with the name Knoxville Christian.  a little You tube video was about it. 

Are you ignorant? I said Union SHOULD be 2nd behind Gate City! But right now they are not, because they are winless with their loss coming from a team in the Cumberland. Union will beat Battle, but 2nd place isn't being a dark horse. A dark horse is a team that shouldn't be near the top but could pull an upset or 2 to get there.

We know Christ School beat KC by a lot! And from what I have found, KC only has 1 win. That win being against The Tennessee School of the Deaf (not being funny) 71-23.

Yea I seen some scores from Knox Christians games.... evidently aren't as tough as I was expecting them to be. Unless of course all the teams they lost to were power houses.

My thoughts exactly. Most of their opponents that I could find have good records but who knows. I watched some film on them vs Christ School on YouTube from November this year. Other than that I know nothing.

Here's their game vs Christ School:

Well....from the looks of the film it's hard to tell really. They have size in the post and looks like the have some athletic guards. Both teams in the video settled for alot of 3s though.....Christ School just happened to make a bunch of theirs. Really have no clue what to expect now...because it looks like they have some players.

Watched a few minutes of basketball practice at Galax yesterday afternoon while waiting for my daughters band concert to begin.  They may not win a game!

I didn't see a single player over 5'-9" tall and no seniors.  I honestly believe the JV team could beat the varsity head to head.

Is Knox Christian and CAK the same school or two different ones?

CAK was in the Arby's a couple of years ago, they had a boy make like 15 or 16 threes in one game which set the record I think.

Different. CAK is Christian Academy of Knoxville. And who we play tomorrow is Knoxville Christian.

But yes, I remember CAK's deep run into the Arby's Classic a couple years ago. That was a solid team that would get after anybody.

Logged on to today  to check to see if Larry wanted to take my bet based upon "his rankings."  I was hoping I would get a counter offer. Maybe something like having to wash his jeep or something.  Instead he decided to suggest i was ignorant.  OK. I must be..  Because I fail to see the genius in ranking a team he thinks is better behind team or teams he thinks is not as good.  Sorry for my ignorant post Larry.

My up to date CMC (C40) standings after last night:

1) GC

2) Leb

3) Union

4) JSB

5) WC

6) Lee

7) RV

Union has their shot to jump Lebanon for 2nd on the 20th of this month. But as of right now Lebanon has beat their Cumberland opponent and are undefeated, keeping them in 2nd place over Union. After watching Battle last night I say Wise Central and JSB will duke it out for 4th place (Extremely huge drop from the 1st place team to the 4th place team). Of course RV and Lee will fight to not be last. Which from what I see based on some scores, both are well deserving of that title.

Union is a mystery right now...they should have beat TN High by 20 pts. The biggest question is how in the world did East not beat Union....they must have had a terrible game. I don't see how Union can beat East...then turn around and drop a game to THS. Eastside I can maybe understand because they have some athletes.

I'll try to give my opinions on the weekend for my Bears. Still too early to tell with this team, flashes of brilliance and moments of confusion. Union played East at a mid-season form level IMO. Looked like a completely different team than against Eastside. East pressed almost the entire game and Union just ate it up. They did a great job of working the middle of the zone press and got a lot of 3 on 2, 2 on 1 matchups. Shots were falling, defense was solid. They really controlled the game, East never closed to within 6 or so. Looked like the Union team we expected. Biggest issue of the East game, we only played 5 players the whole 2nd half.

The Tn High game tonight was a reflection of the Eastside game. Struggled with any offense against a zone, no rebounding, got down by 15 or so at one point. Made a great comeback to take a lead. Down by 1 with :20 or so and had no type of play call, set play etc. Wasted :15 then had to take a contested jumper. Tn high was mainly a one man show. Their guard #40 was a heck of a ball player, he would pull up from anywhere and hit most or drive to the basket. Tough to guard. Tn High was much better than expected.

We are really a team looking for its identity right now. We have kids on the bench that can play but are not even seeing the floor for some reason. Not sure if it's a trust issue or what but IMO right now is the time to get those kids some experience. Playing at Lebanon Tuesday will give an idea where we stand. I think Eastside was not as big of a surprise as many thought, me included.

The kid from TN High probably took 30+ shots against GC.....made several but I didn't think he was their best player. The kid that jumped for the tip ball at GC looked like the most solid player they had....he just didnt get the ball much due to the PG shooting every trip down the court.

The kid from TN High probably took 30+ shots against GC.....made several but I didn't think he was their best player. The kid that jumped for the tip ball at GC looked like the most solid player they had....he just didnt get the ball much due to the PG shooting every trip down the court.

You're right, he probably shot more times than none when TN High had the ball. GC did manage to hold Mays to 12. He was their leading scorer that night.