Tipoff Tournaments

swvasportscommenter

At the Arbys Classic ( which I have attended) you can purchase Arbys Roast Beef sandwiches. Great badketball, great atmosphere and great food. Best tourney around.

This Gate City I always read about. Who all will be watching them from the board this year? Any predictions on how they will do against the team from the Bronx?

I'd bet a lot of money there isn't a person on this board that has seen that team in person. No one can make an accurate prediction about a game with a team from The City.

I am not knocking the UVAW tourny. I think it is great they are doing it and personally think it is the best tourny around team wise this year. Granted they only are competing against Va High and somewhat Fort Chiswell even thought the Fort tourny is mostly Roanoke area schools give or take. Bottom line, UVAW tourny has a strong field this year. It is not the Arby's and I do not think they are trying to be the Arby's. Teams are local and they have snagged a few solid teams from surrounding areas. 

I love the UVAW tourney except for that doofus in glasses and a red shirt always running around. I think be works for UVAW, but that dude is such a goofball I can't stand to !took at him. He may be SID for UVAW I'm not sure, but he jus ruins my experience.

I'd bet a lot of money there isn't a person on this board that has seen that team in person. No one can make an accurate prediction about a game with a team from The City.

The City?? Is that what they call themselves? Isn't

The City what Golden State calls has on their shirts?

Or was that just a reference you made toward Gate City?

In some ways The City might make for a cool reference of some sorts. I guess I have never heard any team referred to like that.

The true test of a dynastic program is what happen after the "great players" leave. What does Gate City have after the era of McClung, Ervin and Dean players leave? From what I have read the above players are young but from what people are saying on here Gate City must have a bare cupboard on JV or else those players would have been on varsity as well. If all the great young talent is on varsity must be a helluva year to be JV coach there. LOL

Best of luck to them in the Arbys. May drive down from Radtown and watch some games. See what the 'Cats have to look forward to in Group AA.

In some ways The City might make for a cool reference of some sorts. I guess I have never heard any team referred to like that.

The true test of a dynastic program is what happen after the "great players" leave. What does Gate City have after the era of McClung, Ervin and Dean players leave? From what I have read the above players are young but from what people are saying on here Gate City must have a bare cupboard on JV or else those players would have been on varsity as well. If all the great young talent is on varsity must be a helluva year to be JV coach there. LOL

Best of luck to them in the Arbys. May drive down from Radtown and watch some games. See what the 'Cats have to look forward to in Group AA.

The City?? Is that what they call themselves?

Isn't The City what Golden State has on their shirts or was that just a reference you made toward Gate City?

"The City" is in reference to the team Gate City will be playing in the Arby's. Not a reference to Gate City.

We are playing Wings Academy from the Bronx, NY. 

By all means make the trip down from Radford and watch as much of the Arby's as you can. it is an impressive tournament. 

Not sure I would say we are a "dynastic program", but we have had a pretty decent basketball program for many years. We have been able to reload, when players graduate, for many years. (We graduated 8 seniors last year.)

Anyone got the line-up for the girls showcase at Emory & Henry on the 31st

This is what a few teams have on their schedules....

Floyd County vs. J.I. Burton, 10:30 a.m.
Virginia High vs. Ridgeview, 2 p.m.
Marion vs. Twin Valley, 3:45 p.m.
Carroll County vs. Central-Wise, 7:30 p.m.

I love the UVAW tourney except for that doofus in glasses and a red shirt always running around. I think be works for UVAW, but that dude is such a goofball I can't stand to !took at him. He may be SID for UVAW I'm not sure, but he jus ruins my experience.

Hes going to slap you up side your head the next time he sees you.

At the risk of sounding stupid yet another time... and with the understanding that Wings Academy is deeper as a team and has a height advantage over Gate City..... and after reading some articles about the Arby's tournament basically not giving Gate City much chance... I have to say I think GC has big chance in this game. Around 50 % chance?.... Gate City will have the two most recruited kids in this game despite the Wings Academy reputation. 2 Seniors for Wings have D1 Offers. Jose Perez. 1. Stoney Brook 2. LIU Brooklyn 3. Arkansas State 4.Manhattan and Jordan Bryant 1. Iona. doesn't look like any of the other kids for wings have offers. A couple of recent articles state that small D1 have interest in some of their other players like Turnage, Kamissoko and Kasseem Ouedraogo. all pretty much local offers. The Gate City Jr. and So. have better offers and are younger.. Air Force, Kent State, JMU, Miami of Ohio, and ETSU and a lot more right? from allover the united states. I will bet you that a couple of D1 have interest in the Freshman for GC too.

Can GC Rebound with them I don't know.. but why is this such an easy call for the papers?

Would love to see that game. Basically the same time as a potential Richland vs. Mountain Mission or GW Match up which I would love to see too.

I know Wings lost alot of talent from last year.....But my guess would be the fact that they stayed within 10 points of Oak Hill last year is why many people arent giving Gate City a chance. However, when your ranked #15 in the NATION like Wings was last year, you probably are expected to compete with the #1 team in the country which Oak Hill was. With a program like Wings Academy..... Usually the general consensus is they don't rebuild, they recruit/cherry pick among the cream of the crop and simply reload. But, that was last year and has no bearing on the team this year.

Rebounding and how much of a physical presence Wings has will be a huge factor. However, if GC is shooting lights out like they have been, maybe they will be able to spread their defense out and let Mac play his game with the dribble drive and make a game of it. I expect this bunch to play some top notch defense, so we will get to see how the Devils handle the pressure.

E.Z............I would suggest that you come to Bristol on Wednesday at 4:00 PM and watch 3-4 games. The quality of basketball you will see is pretty impressive. You will get to see Christ School out of NC, Sandy Creek out of Georgia, Wings Academy from NY, Blanche Ely from Florida, Washington Park from Wisconsin, and Tabernacle from the Bahamas. 

So far this year we have not been a great rebounding team. (I did not see the Knox Christian game. They had some tall kids, but we found a way around that.)

We have also not had to deal with any full court pressure for any length of time. Not sure how much pressure Wings will apply. I did not find very much footage on youtube. What I did find showed Wings running either a 1-2-2 or 1-2-1-1 zone press. Looks like they also like to get the ball out quickly and get it down the court. They are also not afraid to shoot the 3.

We have a bunch of new kids who have not gotten many varsity minutes. We lost 8 seniors last year. I expect Wings will be much deeper than we are. 

Like River said, we have to hope that we are on fire from behind the line, and we need to get them in some foul trouble. If nothing else, we are going to learn what we need to improve. 

I saw the GC vs. Knoxville Christian game and was super impressed. and your right Rat the rough style maybe a factor. Gate City maybe not be physical enough (very very good point). Wings have one center that is 300 plus pounds. knox Christian was not a physical team. But they were Big! Before the game I thought you would lose by 30 but instead you won by 30.

So all I am saying is I am giving them a chance. I guess more than anyone else. Good luck everyone and please keep the scores posted !!!!

If you just looked at KCs record you would have thought GC would have won that game easily. Even after watching KC play Knox Catholic I thought GC would drill them. But after I seen them warming up I realized GC would be in for a battle and I honestly thought they would get beat. LC plays a tough schedule so their record will fool anyone. I was surprised GC handled them as well as they did. KC kept it close for a qtr and a half....But after that it was pretty much over. If their big men would've had some bulk to their height and stayed in the post....Who knows how that game wouldve turned out. But as many deep shots as GC hit I think they still would have won no matter what they tried to do.

I'm really curious to see how GC deals with a real physical team. I think GCs only way to combat physicality is to play smart defense and take every opportunity to draw a charge and get teams in foul trouble. GC shoots pretty well from the FT line most of the time....They need to get in the bonus and take advantage of the charity stripe.

Unfortunately, I'm on 2nd shift til Wednesday night and won't get any days off til Thursday and Friday so I'll miss the game against Wings. I hope some of the GC faithful heading to the game keep the score updated on here as much as possible. I'll be up to the Arbys to watch them on my days off whether they are in the winners or losers bracket.

I saw their record but I also know the caliber of teams they play. Knox is a prep school.... they play other good teams. I think they were shocked at Gate City.

you guys remember when they used to have the U15 AAU national championships in Kingsport. Even the bench players were D1 players, not just one or two players off each team like it is with the Arby's tournament.