Mountain District Games Tuesday Jan. 10

LongTimeSWVAFan

Agreed, the player who pushed McClung into the wall was McAmis. He proved how dirty of a player he really is after comments I have read on him, he seems to get it honest by the way his dad acts on the sideline (you know, the sore loser mentality). I was glad to see Ervin and Collier stepping in to defend Mac, they hit Ervin with a technical and somebody else for WC that offset resulting in Mac only getting 2 shots. Wise Central only woke up a sleeping giant which resulted in a whooping!

I'm not surprised as to who it was...

I hadn't heard all the stuff about what all the players had been saying about not letting him dunk the ball in their house. I mean it was an obvious flagrant foul and should have been an ejection.

I think what really set it off was at the start of the whole thing the kid from Wise (McAmis) thought he had made a nice move on Mac and was gonna burn him across half court and the fans were eating up too....But then Mac picked his pocket from the backside which Mac pretty much baits players into and it left him wide open for an obvious huge dunk after Zac grabbed the loose ball. At that point I guess everyone was already aware about what they had said and that made it that much worse. I think the worst part about the whole mess is how their coach handles things. Didn't realize he was such a peach.

I'm looking forward to seeing the game played at GC.

The young ref is in way over his head. He has no business being out there. Luckily nobody got hurt tonight. As for GC, we need to make some dang free throws!

We certainly missed way too many tonight. And I wonder if that refs momma ever picked him up from the game? They lost total control of the boys game very quickly.

The young ref is in way over his head. He has no business being out there. Luckily nobody got hurt tonight. As for GC, we need to make some dang free throws!

I agree. We missed a bunch. Mac I think was a little tore up and didn't get settled into a rythm. He missed a bunch of FTs himself...And the deep ball wasn't falling for him at all. When Zac is on fire the way he was tonight....Everyone just needs to find the dude and let him chunk the rock. I think he missed one 3 pt shot all night. (I could be wrong but that was all I remembered) He missed a couple tip-in shots but that was about it. The guy could have put up 40+ easily with the way he was shooting.

I hope the Devils hang a hundo on them at home. Add in about 15 rim shakers while theyre at it.

It doesn't surprise me to see the actions of the players.... ridiculous stuff does happen with teenagers in high school sports. But seeing people clap and cheer for Mac getting shoved into the wall just because he was going for a dunk is disgusting.

I hope McClung breaks about 5 ankles next time around....With crossovers though of course. Gotta do it with class.

I feel like GC has not been the perfect angels in their day...

I vaguely remember in the 2000s GC full court pressing people up 40+ They would get a steal plus an easy lay up and the rafters would shake from cheering. 

Bottom line, every team has their share of "bad fans"... Some more than others.

I feel like GC has not been the perfect angels in their day...

I vaguely remember in the 2000s GC full court pressing people up 40+ They would get a steal plus an easy lay up and the rafters would shake from cheering. 

Bottom line, every team has their share of "bad fans"... Some more than others.

There's not enough Lee High and John Battle fans on here to testify, but when you have people supporting the three other district teams making similar comments about the Walmart boys... I think it's not speculation... it's fact.

There's not enough Lee High and John Battle fans on here to testify, but when you have people supporting the three other district teams making similar comments about the Walmart boys... I think it's not speculation... it's fact.

What's your deal? I am not disagreeing... simply saying every team is not perfect. GC has had a bad past with teams just like every one else. Wise's problem is they do not win, well except for girls basketball.

What's your deal? I am not disagreeing... simply saying every team is not perfect. GC has had a bad past with teams just like every one else. Wise's problem is they do not win, well except for girls basketball.

Don't have a deal.  You seem to be coming at me a lot lately though, so maybe I should ask you that.

Dick...................Without a doubt.........EVERY team has their share of bad apples and crazy fans. Not fair to judge an entire fan base based on a handful of "fans". I have been completely embarrassed by some GC "fans" throughout the years. However, and not sure if you were at the game last night, as a player/fan........you should never cheer for a flagrant foul. Just shows a complete lack of class. I don't ever remember us playing starters and full court pressing people while up by 40+ points, but I will take your word for it that it happened. Completely different scenario than last night. Apples to oranges. As a matter of fact, Scotty pulled all the starters, and the top subs, with about 5 minutes to go last night. Third stringers finished out the game. If I was Scotty, because of the style of play WC used, I would have been very tempted to run up the score. Think we could have easily won by 40+ last night. We did the same thing against Lebanon earlier this year. Ended up only scoring 6 points in the 4th quarter.

River............I agree. WC's "coach" leaves a lot to be desired. Instead of complaining to the refs, he should have been talking to his team about their behavior. If you have a kid (Mac) on the line shooting free throws (because of a cheap, dirty, intentional foul), you should be talking to your players about calming down and playing with class. You should not be complaining to the ref because Mac looked at your bench. To me, the coach showed that his priority is not improving his team. He was way more concerned with his own ego. Kids learn from him. Completely explains the "style" of play we saw last night. Hate it for their kids. They had a few kids who can play. With a good coach, that team would win some games.

Larry.............Yep. Worst sportsmanship I have seen in several years.

Quincy...........100% correct. The young ref had no business being part of a varsity contest. He clearly needs many more JV games under his belt. Moving screens on almost every WC possession. Refs should have taken care of this early in the game. Might have reduced some of the tensions later.

Oh well..........water under the bridge. Got to worry about Battle on Friday.

Dick...................Without a doubt.........EVERY team has their share of bad apples and crazy fans. Not fair to judge an entire fan base based on a handful of "fans". I have been completely embarrassed by some GC "fans" throughout the years. However, and not sure if you were at the game last night, as a player/fan........you should never cheer for a flagrant foul. Just shows a complete lack of class. I don't ever remember us playing starters and full court pressing people while up by 40+ points, but I will take your word for it that it happened. Completely different scenario than last night. Apples to oranges. As a matter of fact, Scotty pulled all the starters, and the top subs, with about 5 minutes to go last night. Third stringers finished out the game. If I was Scotty, because of the style of play WC used, I would have been very tempted to run up the score. Think we could have easily won by 40+ last night. We did the same thing against Lebanon earlier this year. Ended up only scoring 6 points in the 4th quarter.

River............I agree. WC's "coach" leaves a lot to be desired. Instead of complaining to the refs, he should have been talking to his team about their behavior. If you have a kid (Mac) on the line shooting free throws (because of a cheap, dirty, intentional foul), you should be talking to your players about calming down and playing with class. You should not be complaining to the ref because Mac looked at your bench. To me, the coach showed that his priority is not improving his team. He was way more concerned with his own ego. Kids learn from him. Completely explains the "style" of play we saw last night. Hate it for their kids. They had a few kids who can play. With a good coach, that team would win some games.

Larry.............Yep. Worst sportsmanship I have seen in several years.

Quincy...........100% correct. The young ref had no business being part of a varsity contest. He clearly needs many more JV games under his belt. Moving screens on almost every WC possession. Refs should have taken care of this early in the game. Might have reduced some of the tensions later.

Oh well..........water under the bridge. Got to worry about Battle on Friday.

I was not at the game but merely commenting on the sportsmanship comment. I do agree that there is NO place in sports for cheering on hurting a player. Mac is a great athlete I hope no one wants to see him hurt.

I've never seen Scotty press with the starters up 40+ and I don't miss many ball games. Now, he might press with the reserves in. Which I believe is fine. If you can't break through the press vs the backups then well, you're pitiful. That's the way Scotty wanted them to play defense, nothing wrong with that, the young guys needed experience too.

With that said, there's a HUGE difference in pressing with the bench players and someone intentionally trying to keep a player from dunking at all cost. GC was up 40 vs Lebanon last week with subs in a Scotty was chewing tail of the young kids and was wanting them to move the ball and score. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, that's how you gain varsity experience. GC doesn't play cheap like Wise did last night, Scotty would not have any of that on his team. Scotty could have easily returned the favor last night but he's more of a man than that. GC just turned up the heat and laid it on em. Mac ended up putting on a clinic for the freshman McAmis who thought he could guard Mac.

Question - why does McClung wear so many different jersey #'s? I've seen pictures of him in #0, #2, #11, & maybe #4 too?

The same reason the rest of the team does as well. We have 2 white uniforms, 1 blue, 1 black, and 1 grey. Some of the uniforms are from different years so they don't have the same numbers so they wear different numbers because they have no choice when wearing a certain combination. Mac will wear #0 in white, #2 in blue, #0 in black, #3 in grey. Collier will wear #4 and #10, Ervin #23 and #20. Nothing other than uniforms from different years that had different numbers.

The same reason the rest of the team does as well. We have 2 white uniforms, 1 blue, 1 black, and 1 grey. Some of the uniforms are from different years so they don't have the same numbers so they wear different numbers because they have no choice when wearing a certain combination. Mac will wear #0 in white, #2 in blue, #0 in black, #3 in grey. Collier will wear #4 and #10, Ervin #23 and #20. Nothing other than uniforms from different years that had different numbers.

Got ya. Thanks

When Gate City and Union agree on something, you know it's bad...lol

The apocalypse is nigh, GC and Union fans from BSG in agreement, can't be good. Reality TV star as president, Meryl Streep throwing shots and GC/Union fans in unison. If that isn't the biggest sign of the end of days, I dunno what is.