Gate City @ Union (2/7)

Leatherhead Larry

I agree, great decision. It especially helps GC, it takes the home court advantage away from Union.

Some pretty huge crowds when GC hosted Martinsville last season and when GC girls hosted East Rockingham a couple years back in the state playoffs. I would say those 2 days are the most that's been there for a sporting event, but I wouldn't be surprised if next Tuesday out does both of those days.

What do you guys think about this one? 5 pt game at most? I think it helps GC to be played at Wise and the Devils squeak out a close one.

Still won't expect much rebounding from the Devils unless Scotty plays George and Sharpe for a good chunk of minutes. I think if George gets plenty more experience before the regular season is over he could be a huge factor in the post season. The guy brings a ton of energy on defense and goes after the ball.

I WAS TOLD THAT MIAMI COACH WOULD BE THERE TO LOOK AT MITCHELL (FOOTBALL) ,DABO SWEENY HAD MADE A TRIP TO MIDDLE TN A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO, AND HE IS PUSHING HARD FOR MITCHELL ALSO, ON THE CLEMSON MESSAGE BOARD IT TALKS ABOUT DABO GOING TO SEVERAL TARGET SCHOOLS TO SEE HOW THEY PERFORM ON THE COURTS. WE MIGHT SEE TWO HIGH PROFILE COACHES IN THE HOUSE,AS FAR AS HOME COURT ADVANTAGE, I THINK UNION WILL PACK THE HOUSE TOO, SHOULD BE A GREAT GAME

What do you guys think about this one? 5 pt game at most? I think it helps GC to be played at Wise and the Devils squeak out a close one.

Still won't expect much rebounding from the Devils unless Scotty plays George and Sharpe for a good chunk of minutes. I think if George gets plenty more experience before the regular season is over he could be a huge factor in the post season. The guy brings a ton of energy on defense and goes after the ball.

I think GC needs to worry about Lee and Abingdon this weekend first.

I think GC needs to worry about Lee and Abingdon this weekend first.

Oh im well aware of that and I agree. But this was a Union and GC thread so I figured I'd try to elaborate on this game even though it's next week. Even if it's already being talked about on here I would bet good money the players aren't paying attention to what's said on here and arent looking ahead... Especially after the way Lee fought at GC. They will also be ready for Abingdon at home....those guys will fight hard and they know that. But I think they will be focused this weekend and take care of business as they should.

I don't see the "home court" advantage as being an issue. The way I see it a team has to be able to play on the road or a neutral site to advance past conference play so why not start now. Even though this game is huge for both teams, I'm sure they both have bigger things in mind.

I commend Union for going to Wise. In the long run it will help them, if things stay the course they will more than likely have to play a regional road game at Richlands. I agree with GoBearsGo not an issue and they will know what it feels like to travel for a huge game.  Good move whomever made it.

I don't see the "home court" advantage as being an issue. The way I see it a team has to be able to play on the road or a neutral site to advance past conference play so why not start now. Even though this game is huge for both teams, I'm sure they both have bigger things in mind.

It could be the difference between playing at Richlands or hosting Graham.

I commend Union for going to Wise. In the long run it will help them, if things stay the course they will more than likely have to play a regional road game at Richlands. I agree with GoBearsGo not an issue and they will know what it feels like to travel for a huge game.  Good move whomever made it.

It could be the difference between playing at Richlands or hosting Graham.

The first round regional matchups normally rotate.  Southern Empire and Clinch Mountain played each other in the first round of regionals last year, so wouldn't like Clinch Mountain play River Ridge and Southern Empire would play Courthouse this season in the first round of the regionals?

1A West regionals always rotated the quarterfinal matchups like that... not sure if 2A does that or not.

The first round regional matchups normally rotate.  Southern Empire and Clinch Mountain played each other in the first round of regionals last year, so wouldn't like Clinch Mountain play River Ridge and Southern Empire would play Courthouse this season in the first round of the regionals?

1A West regionals always rotated the quarterfinal matchups like that... not sure if 2A does that or not.

No. The brackets are always the same. 37/38 always cross bracket for region quarters and 39/40 always cross bracket. They have never switched in the history of 2A West (which has been a couple of years). 

If winners of each conference win their respective games (assuming all that worked out) then semi final match ups would be C37 winner playing C39 winner and C38 winner player C40 winner. This actually occurred last year. Dan River played Graham (37/39) and Mavahi played GC (38/40).