Week 1 Scoreboard: 8/25/2017g

Deleted Account

2 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Checking WVVA scoreboard for scores in their area.   Has Giles listed as Giles County.   *facepalm*   Is it that hard to get something that simple correct?  Just sloppy work.

Narrows fans and Giles fans, I know it seems simple and I guess it is, but.....evidently it's not because many, many people still make that mistake, and they don't make that mistake with most other schools.  There are few teams that have the name of the High School as the same name of the County, yet they have another High School in that county.  Most other schools that have the name of the county are the only school in that county, so lets face it, some of that responsibility rests in the county of Giles.  You kind of bring it on yourself, at least a little bit.

14 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Almost certainly going to be a Clarke County-Goochland title game this year.  Appomattox stands a fair chance of getting back there if not Clarke or Goochland.

With the new alignment is there still cross bracketing in the semis? If not then Clarke and Goochland won't be able to both make it to the title game 

42 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I'm not crowning them, but I'm just saying that I could see it. More than likely Salem will be the team to beat for Bburg to make it there, and them two will more than likely have to play each other twice

The road to a 4A title is way more than Salem.  Dinwiddie, Lake Taylor and GW Danville will all have very good squads this year.  I saw Blacksburg play twice last season and they do return some good talent with Beck, Terry and Johnson to name a few.  I've attended the 4A championship game not too long ago and it is definitely a step up from 3A.

Good luck to all area athletes...hoping everyone can avoid injuries this year.

12 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Narrows fans and Giles fans, I know it seems simple and I guess it is, but.....evidently it's not because many, many people still make that mistake, and they don't make that mistake with most other schools.  There are few teams that have the name of the High School as the same name of the County, yet they have another High School in that county.  Most other schools that have the name of the county are the only school in that county, so lets face it, some of that responsibility rests in the county of Giles.  You kind of bring it on yourself, at least a little bit.

Ummm... Wise County Central, as the Herald-Courier calls them, never existed.  They're just plain old Central High.

46 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

Ummm... Wise County Central, as the Herald-Courier calls them, never existed.  They're just plain old Central High.

H-C must think they are one of those KY schools...Pike County Central, Letcher County Central, Perry County Central, Hopkins County Central, Knott County Central, Todd County Central...

31 minutes ago, GMan said:

H-C must think they are one of those KY schools...Pike County Central, Letcher County Central, Perry County Central, Hopkins County Central, Knott County Central, Todd County Central...

Back when Sacco was there his response to why they were doing this was that they needed to distinguish them from Sullivan Central.  One would think that Wise Central, Central-Wise, Central (Wise), or so forth, would do exactly that.

Those of us in Lee can relate the same.  Still get plenty of "Lee County High".

On 8/25/2017 at 11:17 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

With the new alignment is there still cross bracketing in the semis? If not then Clarke and Goochland won't be able to both make it to the title game 

I was thinking the same thing.

On 8/27/2017 at 10:44 AM, trumpet1988 said:

I was thinking the same thing.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:17 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

Cross bracketing begins in the quarters... so highest remaining Region D will host lowest remaining Region C and vice versa once it gets down to two teams in each region.  How it goes from there, I don't know.

I know it's not popular, but I like the cross bracketing at the regional level. They do it in basketball and volleyball. Assuming they do it in the semis, there's a chance of 2 schools from the same region in the championship game and more likely to have the 2 best teams in Salem.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

I know it's not popular, but I like the cross bracketing at the regional level. They do it in basketball and volleyball. Assuming they do it in the semis, there's a chance of 2 schools from the same region in the championship game and more likely to have the 2 best teams in Salem.

2 beat teams will play reguardless IMO...just unnecessary travel...play regions out and have final 4 and C and D play and A and B play them winners to Salem...not that difficult

47 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

2 beat teams will play reguardless IMO...just unnecessary travel...play regions out and have final 4 and C and D play and A and B play them winners to Salem...not that difficult

Maybe and maybe not. At least 3 times in the last 5 years there was an all Region D championship in AA Girls basketball. Had they not done cross bracketing those championship games would not have happened. The Region D runner up was obviously better than the Regions A,B, and C champions.

Also, reading this, it doesn't appear that there is any cross bracketing in football. Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

http://www.vhsl.org/football/#    Click resources and then Football Playoff Format. Looks like A champion hosts B champion and C hosts D.

Edit: no cross bracketing as in D low vs C high....etc...

19 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

19 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Maybe and maybe not. At least 3 times in the last 5 years there was an all Region D championship in AA Girls basketball. Had they not done cross bracketing those championship games would not have happened. The Region D runner up was obviously better than the Regions A,B, and C champions.

Also, reading this, it doesn't appear that there is any cross bracketing in football. Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

http://www.vhsl.org/football/#    Click resources and then Football Playoff Format. Looks like A champion hosts B champion and C hosts D.

Edit: no cross bracketing as in D low vs C high....etc...

Union_Fan is right about girls basketball... 2 years ago any of the top 4 in the Mountain district could've played for it all in Richmond... It just turned out Ridgeview and Union were the two that survived out of the district tournament.

And reading that, it doesn't look like they will cross bracket.  Granted, where I read that it would was in a Richmond area blog that I linked in a thread somewhere on here, so that certainly wouldn't be certified as a reputable source... but then again, the VHSL website isn't either at times, so who knows.

23 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Union_Fan is right about girls basketball... 2 years ago any of the top 4 in the Mountain district could've played for it all in Richmond... It just turned out Ridgeview and Union were the two that survived out of the district tournament.

And reading that, it doesn't look like they will cross bracket.  Granted, where I read that it would was in a Richmond area blog that I linked in a thread somewhere on here, so that certainly wouldn't be certified as a reputable source... but then again, the VHSL website isn't either at times, so who knows.

Every now and then it may happen but most years in most sports it won't so I hate the cross bracketing...save on travel and if you are the best team in your region you will advance more often than not

23 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Every now and then it may happen but most years in most sports it won't so I hate the cross bracketing...save on travel and if you are the best team in your region you will advance more often than not

Yeah, but if Ridgeview had played Wilson Memorial (the #1 seed out of the East in 2016) in the state championship, Ridgeview would have won by 25-30.  Instead we got the classic come from behind win over Union in the state title game that wasn't decided till the final second.

54 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, but if Ridgeview had played Wilson Memorial (the #1 seed out of the East in 2016) in the state championship, Ridgeview would have won by 25-30.  Instead we got the classic come from behind win over Union in the state title game that wasn't decided till the final second.

Like I said it happens some years but most it don't...that happened to be one of those years