Richlands at Marion

Canes00

2 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

It was a great game and Richlands is much better than their record indicates. Their early strength of schedule is starting to show through and it's obvious that they have been baptized by fire.

That 50+ yard game winner from Wyatt to Medley will be talked about in Hurricane Country for a long time.

I will say this about Marion: this is far from the most talented team Marion has fielded. The 2014 team, athlete to athlete would have run train on them. However, I have never in my life (with the exception of maybe the '01 team that made it the state semis) seen a Marion team with more heart, more of a will to succeed, than this team. Most of these players have been playing heavily since they were sophomores. They saw their dream team go up in smoke when Richlands came to town in 2014, they endured a 1-9 season the next year, saw a bounce back season last year that ended the worst way they could have imagined, and now they're 8-0 for the first time in 30 years. They've endured personal tragedy after personal tragedy, taken their lumps, learned how to win when the deck is stacked against them, and they are willing to do whatever it takes to get to 10-0. They're 8-0 now, but if they don't win another game this season, I couldn't be any more proud of them.

Heart is often a determine factor in a close game.

6 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Heart is often a determine factor in a close game.

And sometimes bad play calling. I guess some never learn. See Appo game 2015 and last nights game. Im no football coach by any means but common sense can win you some games too. When Richlands scored to go up and got the ball back with about 3 mins left i was saying to myself, please keep doing what got you back in this ballgame. But nope, 3 runs up the middle for about 2 yards and only kills a little over a minute. Marion gets ball, scores and wins. I hate seeing this at any level especially when you are struggling running the ball. 2 minutes is a lot of time at the end of a football game. I can see doing this with under a minute left but not 3 minutes. Why dont you keep doing whats working?

This team has been through alot for a bunch of high school kids.Its time to rest and get healthy.2 more to go ..I didnt have the last game circled like usual,but I do now.But for different reasons..Btw,them PAPER TIGERS looking good.100% plywood approved

12 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

And sometimes bad play calling. I guess some never learn. See Appo game 2015 and last nights game. Im no football coach by any means but common sense can win you some games too. When Richlands scored to go up and got the ball back with about 3 mins left i was saying to myself, please keep doing what got you back in this ballgame. But nope, 3 runs up the middle for about 2 yards and only kills a little over a minute. Marion gets ball, scores and wins. I hate seeing this at any level especially when you are struggling running the ball. 2 minutes is a lot of time at the end of a football game. I can see doing this with under a minute left but not 3 minutes. Why dont you keep doing whats working?

Man, you are so right. Our inability to make a 1st down late in a game has cost us plenty-possibly a State Championship in 2015. 

On 10/14/2017 at 7:37 AM, Westisthebest said:

No qualms here, sometimes a coach has to man up and realize the loss is on him. What do they say, "Pride goeth before the fall!" 

On 10/14/2017 at 8:02 PM, ojrussell said:

Man, you are so right. Our inability to make a 1st down late in a game has cost us plenty-possibly a State Championship in 2015. 

Agree about 2015, probably cost Blues more than that state championship. I'd say they should have won a couple more except for the offense not being able to get those first downs. 

Sometimes you just gotta let your players play both ways to help their team win there's nothing wrong with that but when a coach refuses to let his players play both ways to help there team win than that's a problem cause years ago and still to this day players are playing both ways!!