Podcast questions????

Ryan4VT

27 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but if it hasn't here goes. 

What if consolidation happened earlier? What if There was a Union, Ridgeview, Central, Eastside in the 90s?

Always wondered the same wrt to Giles Co if the last real push had went through in the late 80's.   From 88-95, the combined school would still been A D2 more than likely.  Probably played up to AA I would assume.  That would have been some powerhouses.

Who are the biggest surprise/letdown teams at the halfway point (well, a bit past halfway, but you know)

What is more likely: Richlands missing the playoffs or the three Scott Co. schools failing to win a single game outside the county?

26 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Always wondered the same wrt to Giles Co if the last real push had went through in the late 80's.   From 88-95, the combined school would still been A D2 more than likely.  Probably played up to AA I would assume.  That would have been some powerhouses.

Oh what could have been

16 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

Who are the biggest surprise/letdown teams at the halfway point (well, a bit past halfway, but you know)

What is more likely: Richlands missing the playoffs or the three Scott Co. schools failing to win a single game outside the county?

Good question man 

32 minutes ago, Nrv_ football 52 said:

If you had to pick a match up between two teams that dont play each other this year in 1A and 2A that would make for great games...what would they be? For me

2A Richlands vs Giles

1A Narrows vs Hurley

Narrows would beat Hurley by 2-3 tds. But the Giles and Richlands game could be a good one since Giles has a stout offense with a not so great defense and Richlands has a stout defense with a not so great offense.

11 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Neither.  Rye Cove gets a win this weekend and Richlands is not missing the playoffs.

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

If you were a HS coach at a small school like Rye Cove or Twin Springs, what kind of offense would you run to try and compete w teams with better athletes?

Which Defense is the real question? Odd or even front , man or zone coverage.          4-4 = 4-2-5     /    3-4 = 3-3-5/46 all with minor differences 

How large of a role does economics does play on the winning % of a team?

43 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

It's coming down to crunch time.  My question is, simply, who is going to win the Southwest District?

Odds would point to Graham.  I think every team except for Tazewell and Lebanon have legitimate chances at it. If Richlands could score more than 27 points in any game, I'd feel better about their chances.

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

If you were a HS coach at a small school like Rye Cove or Twin Springs, what kind of offense would you run to try and compete w teams with better athletes?

I dont think one particular offense is key.  The one thing I would suggest with a team with limited numbers is to minimize the number of snaps in a game if at all possible.  Any time I ran the ball and within one score I would probably direct my QB to not give his cadence until there is 5 seconds on the play clock from the start.

3 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I dont think one particular offense is key.  The one thing I would suggest with a team with limited numbers is to minimize the number of snaps in a game if at all possible.  Any time I ran the ball and within one score I would probably direct my QB to not give his cadence until there is 5 seconds on the play clock from the start.

I didn't ask YOU! 

I would probably do the same, except I would rely a lot on slight of hand and misdirection. If you are limited by the numbers, do things to isolate your best matchups. If you have a good runner, get him in space. A great QB, drop back and throw it 60 times. Can't afford to waste talent.

I would probably try to be as different as possible. Something teams have to take a little extra time to scheme up practice wise whether it be a single wing system if I don’t have any blazers. RC was running a unique system at the end of last year called the slot T offense. I was surprised they went away from it this year when I saw some film of them. 

7 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I would probably try to be as different as possible. Something teams have to take a little extra time to scheme up practice wise whether it be a single wing system if I don’t have any blazers. RC was running a unique system at the end of last year called the slot T offense. I was surprised they went away from it this year when I saw some film of them. 

I'm a big time proponent of gimmick (for lack of better word) offenses for teams that face serious talent or depth issues. If it takes a team longer to prepare and it's an offense your team doesnt see often, there's more chances for mistakes and missed assignments. It doesn't have to be a running based attack, a wide open Air Raid offense is tough to prepare for. 

On 10/9/2017 at 11:51 PM, UVAObserver said:

Which high seed is going to be ticked off when Richlands comes to their place for a Round 1 matchup?

Whoever it is should enjoy one of their better gates of the year.