The Tazewell Bulldogs @ Va High

Bulldog05

17 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

giphy.gif

Lots of Confidence out of Bulldog Nation!

I have a lot of confidence, but at the same time I’m an honest person when it comes to winning or losing. My personal opinion, it’s gonna be a lot better game then everyone is saying. Everyone is talking about how bad Va High got beat, well look who they played. UNION! C’mon man! Go dawgs!!

17 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

giphy.gif

Lots of Confidence out of Bulldog Nation!

I wasn’t saying Tazewell was gonna blow them out, I’m just saying when the Bulldogs can put a full game together they could be great! And again why wouldn’t have confidence in a team? Why the hell are we even here if we don’t?

I’m VHS for life, but does everyone realize that in 2017 and 2018, VHS scored 72 combined first half points against the Dawgs? The talent gap is there for the Dawgs to flip the script and do that to the Bearcats this year. It will come down to coaching. Will Tazewell exploit the glaring weakness of the VHS defense, which is up the middle?

VHS has some young speed on the outside of the defense, but they can be hurt up the middle. 

The VHS offense will struggle mightily this year. Too much youth, not enough size or depth in the trenches, no stability at QB.

VHS will bounce back in two years, but this Friday could be a massacre if the Tazewell coaches do their jobs.

6 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I’m VHS for life, but does everyone realize that in 2017 and 2018, VHS scored 72 combined first half points against the Dawgs? The talent gap is there for the Dawgs to flip the script and do that to the Bearcats this year. It will come down to coaching. Will Tazewell exploit the glaring weakness of the VHS defense, which is up the middle?

VHS has some young speed on the outside of the defense, but they can be hurt up the middle. 

The VHS offense will struggle mightily this year. Too much youth, not enough size or depth in the trenches, no stability at QB.

VHS will bounce back in two years, but this Friday could be a massacre if the Tazewell coaches do their jobs.

From what I saw of Tazewell vs RV they are really Big on the LOS but most of there offence was geared to the outside. From what I have heard from my Union friends the VHS D-Line was a joke and would struggle vs many cumberland teams this season. I am thinking Tazewell by 21

21 minutes ago, Counts said:

From what I saw of Tazewell vs RV they are really Big on the LOS but most of there offence was geared to the outside. From what I have heard from my Union friends the VHS D-Line was a joke and would struggle vs many cumberland teams this season. I am thinking Tazewell by 21

I’m not in the same business as your Union friends in calling kids a “joke”, but yes, this will be a very long year for the Bearcats for a few reasons. Now calling certain coaches a joke, I’m all for that!

I no longer have a horse in the race in SWVA football, other than just being a lifelong football fan. If I could change my name from Bearcat Dad, I would, as that moniker is no longer true. My kids are now collegiate athletes.

I will always be a VHS fan, but I am a realist. This board is littered with my posts from the last few years, with both positive and negative outlooks on VHS sports. I’m far from perfect on my predictions, but I am right more than I’m wrong. 

VHS will finish between 0-10 and 3-7 this year for a few reasons, which are......

1) They have a great group of assistant coaches, that are handcuffed by a head coach who is secretly an egomaniac. He says all the right “Coachspeak” to the media and whatnot, but does not practice what he preaches. 

2) The numbers are BAD again for VHS. So much so, that this year, they don’t have a JV team, because they need those bodies to dress out on Friday nights.

3) I love and cheer for those VHS boys, but the fact of the matter is, is that the Jimmies and Joes are just not there to have a successful season this year. They have a few athletes, most of which are very young and very inexperienced in Varsity football. They could potentially be pretty strong in two years.

4) This infusion of youth is in part because, in my opinion, their 3 top returning players are not there. Two because of injury, and one because of a young man’s decision to focus on baseball.

I believe that your prediction, @Counts, is very possible. There is a very big talent gap between VHS and most of the teams on their schedule this year. 

31 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I’m not in the same business as your Union friends in calling kids a “joke”, but yes, this will be a very long year for the Bearcats for a few reasons. Now calling certain coaches a joke, I’m all for that!

I no longer have a horse in the race in SWVA football, other than just being a lifelong football fan. If I could change my name from Bearcat Dad, I would, as that moniker is no longer true. My kids are now collegiate athletes.

I will always be a VHS fan, but I am a realist. This board is littered with my posts from the last few years, with both positive and negative outlooks on VHS sports. I’m far from perfect on my predictions, but I am right more than I’m wrong. 

VHS will finish between 0-10 and 3-7 this year for a few reasons, which are......

1) They have a great group of assistant coaches, that are handcuffed by a head coach who is secretly an egomaniac. He says all the right “Coachspeak” to the media and whatnot, but does not practice what he preaches. 

2) The numbers are BAD again for VHS. So much so, that this year, they don’t have a JV team, because they need those bodies to dress out on Friday nights.

3) I love and cheer for those VHS boys, but the fact of the matter is, is that the Jimmies and Joes are just not there to have a successful season this year. They have a few athletes, most of which are very young and very inexperienced in Varsity football. They could potentially be pretty strong in two years.

4) This infusion of youth is in part because, in my opinion, their 3 top returning players are not there. Two because of injury, and one because of a young man’s decision to focus on baseball.

I believe that your prediction, @Counts, is very possible. There is a very big talent gap between VHS and most of the teams on their schedule this year. 

Think he was referring the D-Line as a unit and not the players individually.

On a side note if the coaching situation and numbers contionue on there trend do you think VHS will start losing players to Battle or THS?

21 minutes ago, Counts said:

Think he was referring the D-Line as a unit and not the players individually.

On a side note if the coaching situation and numbers contionue on there trend do you think VHS will start losing players to Battle or THS?

Ahh, ok. I misinterpreted that line. My bad.

Yes, I do believe kids will start going elsewhere. Transferring is an epidemic that is here to stay, unfortunately. I know for a fact that a couple of the top young players for VHS are already talking about being unhappy and are wanting to transfer. Right now it’s just talk, but if they have the season I think they will, things will get pretty ugly.

Coaching has been an issue at VHS for many decades. Outside of Mike Locke and Paul Wheeler, there has been a revolving door of unsuccessful football coaches. That’s the big reason why a school that traditionally has good athletes, is rarely good at football. 

This current coach, who, along with most other 2A head coaches in our region, knows exactly who I am on here. This current coach avoided my usually reliable BS radar for 3 years. His true colors were exposed last year.

Just compare the football program at VHS with the baseball program. In the last 45 years, 11 head coaches vs. 2 head coaches. Zero state title game appearances vs. 12 appearances with 7 wins.

1 hour ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Coaching has been an issue at VHS for many decades. Outside of Mike Locke and Paul Wheeler, there has been a revolving door of unsuccessful football coaches. That’s the big reason why a school that traditionally has good athletes, is rarely good at football. 

Should have kept Wheeler. He had that program headed in the right direction.

34 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Should have kept Wheeler. He had that program headed in the right direction.

Agreed! When he came back, he was trying to set the program up for his son to take over. One day at practice, he got a little “Old School” with one of his players. The only problem was that this particular player had a horrible attitude that was enabled by his dad, who was on the school board. The rest is history!

Bearcat Dad....(I was at the game) The 1st half was pretty competitive (nothing to be ashamed of)...the 2nd half was a lot of none starters and UNION keep the ground and pound going...The game over all was pretty good

6 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Are you going be at game bearcat dad??

5 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Agreed! When he came back, he was trying to set the program up for his son to take over. One day at practice, he got a little “Old School” with one of his players. The only problem was that this particular player had a horrible attitude that was enabled by his dad, who was on the school board. The rest is history!

2 hours ago, UNION#ATW said:

Bearcat Dad....(I was at the game) The 1st half was pretty competitive (nothing to be ashamed of)...the 2nd half was a lot of none starters and UNION keep the ground and pound going...The game over all was pretty good

I was not at the game, but it’s my understanding that VHS had -17 yards of total offense and 3 turnovers in the first half.

No offense to Union, because they will be in the mix this year in 2D, but the 2017 Bears put 40 points up in the first half against this year’s Bearcat team. The 2018 Bears would have put up 30 in the first half.

I’ve been told by more than one Union fan, whose assessments of high school football I trust, that the 2019 Bears are a little different than we’ve grown accustomed to over the last few years. Not to say they they are bad by any stretch of the imagination. Quite the opposite on defense. I hear the defense will be quite good. I’ve also been told that the offense has quite a few kinks to work out.

I’ve had a relationship with VHS sports for over 30 years as a fan, a player, and as a dad of two athletes. I hope every year that the football program becomes relevant in the region like the baseball program has been for over 4 decades. Even though VHS has been competitive in 3 of the last 4 years, this is going to be one of those really tough years, record-wise. The kids will fight hard every game, but sometimes a team just has a lot of cards stacked against it. This is one of those teams. 

Nobody hopes I’m wrong more than I do, but I guess time will tell.