Abingdon vs Union

UNION#ATW

I feel tonight's game with Abingdon will show if we can play 💪 Big Boy football this year!!

I hope Union can stay focused and disciplined throughout the game, My thoughts on game is they're going to have to play a perfect game to beat Abingdon.

What's everybody's thoughts on the game??

18 minutes ago, UNION#ATW said:

I feel tonight's game with Abingdon will show if we can play 💪 Big Boy football this year!!

I hope Union can stay focused and disciplined throughout the game, My thoughts on game is they're going to have to play a perfect game to beat Abingdon.

What's everybody's thoughts on the game??

If Abingdon has 3 or more turnovers then Union has a chance. If Abingdon makes no mistakes,  4 TD win.

I think we will see a different Union team than we've seen the last 3 weeks, but I don't know if it will be enough. Abingdon is big and strong everywhere, and the Bears are young on the lines. Union will need to shutdown Lucas at the start, and force Abingdon to go to the pass. Although their QB is good, there's a better chance for a turnover or mistake vs Lucas running for 200 yards.

I might be wrong, but I see a 28-21 type ballgame.

Abingdon has a solid team but I don't see them as world beaters I think this is a great game for Union this week as a loss does not hurt them and they can see where they are at for the last 2 games of the season and possible playoff run

53 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I think we will see a different Union team than we've seen the last 3 weeks, but I don't know if it will be enough. Abingdon is big and strong everywhere, and the Bears are young on the lines. Union will need to shutdown Lucas at the start, and force Abingdon to go to the pass. Although their QB is good, there's a better chance for a turnover or mistake vs Lucas running for 200 yards.

I might be wrong, but I see a 28-21 type ballgame.

I'm impressed with our defense this year but I'm not sure if it's the opponents or us.  I've never seen Travis play this many kids ever we played 3 kids at QB last week.  We've got some impressive youngins on D though #17  is really impressive for a freshman and Snead at DE has looked good too.  Next 2 seasons are gonna be fun to watch at Union.

14 minutes ago, Counts said:

Abingdon has a solid team but I don't see them as world beaters I think this is a great game for Union this week as a loss does not hurt them and they can see where they are at for the last 2 games of the season and possible playoff run

Agreed. Union got the luck of the draw with this schedule. Perfect for this crazy season.

7 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I'm impressed with our defense this year but I'm not sure if it's the opponents or us.  I've never seen Travis play this many kids ever we played 3 kids at QB last week.  We've got some impressive youngins on D though #17  is really impressive for a freshman and Snead at DE has looked good too.  Next 2 seasons are gonna be fun to watch at Union.

Yep. From top to bottom, the next several years could be some of the most talented Bear teams we've seen. Even the middle school team has standout players. Just hope they all stay together.

I've watched Union v Lee & GC and watched Abingdon v Wise. I'll go with Abingdon by 3 TD. Good test for Union to see where they are though. Looking forward to watching it, even though the video quality will probably be poor and the camera will have trouble following the action. Still, it's better than not being able to watch. We got our fist Moderna shots this week. I'm soooo looking forward to a normal football season in August. 

Knew Abingdon would win the LOS, and most likely the game. Disappointed by the Union turnovers, miscues and mental mistakes. Need to get those cleaned up before next week. 

Should definitely have a list of things to work on after this game.

Congrats to Abingdon. They have a solid team and will be competitive in the 3A playoffs this year.

1 minute ago, JDHoss said:

Anyone else watch this online? I got about every 2nd or 3rd play. Worst stream of the year by far.

I did. No interruptions of the stream, but cameras still need to be calibrated better for motion tracking and clarity.

Union is taking their shots this season. Just so young and inexperienced all around and it showed tonight. They’re coming, but it’s still a process right now. The first offensive drive looked really good. After that though.. my goodness. 

Union——-well , I guess that’s cleared up, defense was somewhat lost, but I will lay that on Mr Spazman d coach, he was aligning his d while they snapped the ball, kids were lost , kinda like during Clarke County game , they should work on pass d , well good effort but .......I wish Travis would take over the D 

On 3/20/2021 at 12:26 PM, PCLR32 said:

Tells me Central is very good. 

Using both teams’ performance against common opponents isn’t usually a good idea. 

There are a lot of variables that can come into play. 

But I would still put Central as the favorite. 

I would say Graham will be the regional favorite. 

A couple things to consider.

Central had 139 yards against Abingdon. Union had 137. Martin Lucas didn't even play half a quarter against Central.

Union had back to back turnovers on their own side of the field that resulted in 14 very quick points to blow a somewhat close game wide open.

Abingdon would have still beat the Bears regardless, but I also think their margin of victory would have been greater against Central had Lucas been healthy and played the full game because he got 34 yards or so from 5 carries on the final drive of the game.

Central, I think, is still the odds on favorite to get into the playoffs from the M7. Who knows if Union or Ridgeview either one will make it.

7 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

A couple things to consider.

Central had 139 yards against Abingdon. Union had 137. Martin Lucas didn't even play half a quarter against Central.

Union had back to back turnovers on their own side of the field that resulted in 14 very quick points to blow a somewhat close game wide open.

Abingdon would have still beat the Bears regardless, but I also think their margin of victory would have been greater against Central had Lucas been healthy and played the full game because he got 34 yards or so from 5 carries on the final drive of the game.

Central, I think, is still the odds on favorite to get into the playoffs from the M7. Who knows if Union or Ridgeview either one will make it.

From a perspective of being at that game and getting a feel of what was happening,  Central hit Lucas early, hard and often. He was shut down from the start.. Their run defense is legitimate.  Look at how they contained Adkins at Ridgeview. Central was the more physical team that game, but Abingdon had the better passing game. You have to remember Central shanked a punt from their own endzone that led to one score, and another score was on a 4th and 8 answered prayer.... 

I'm not saying Central will beat Union. I think Union made some mistakes that amplified that score and made it look worse than what it was, but I am saying that the more physical team between Abingdon and Central the night they played was Central. But Abingdon has more athletic receivers that made the difference. 

I think it will be a good game this Friday night, a dog fight.  Too bad Bullet Park won't be packed out like normal. 

21 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

From a perspective of being at that game and getting a feel of what was happening,  Central hit Lucas early, hard and often. He was shut down from the start.. Their run defense is legitimate.  Look at how they contained Adkins at Ridgeview. Central was the more physical team that game, but Abingdon had the better passing game. You have to remember Central shanked a punt from their own endzone that led to one score, and another score was on a 4th and 8 answered prayer.... 

I'm not saying Central will beat Union. I think Union made some mistakes that amplified that score and made it look worse than what it was, but I am saying that the more physical team between Abingdon and Central the night they played was Central. But Abingdon has more athletic receivers that made the difference. 

I think it will be a good game this Friday night, a dog fight.  Too bad Bullet Park won't be packed out like normal. 

And don't get me wrong, I didn't watch the whole game, but what I did see, Central held their own with Abingdon. It is hard to understate how much a 6'4" 245lb back will eventually wear on a defense though. Especially, with the size of their line. Geez!

For me, it's very hard to get a feel for a game on a TV vs being there in person when you can see everything at once.

Definitely a shame about The Park not being packed for this game. Won't be the same atmosphere, but hopefully a little Bullitt magic will still take place because the Bears have a very tough task ahead of them!

5 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

And don't get me wrong, I didn't watch the whole game, but what I did see, Central held their own with Abingdon. It is hard to understate how much a 6'4" 245lb back will eventually wear on a defense though. Especially, with the size of their line. Geez!

For me, it's very hard to get a feel for a game on a TV vs being there in person when you can see everything at once.

Definitely a shame about The Park not being packed for this game. Won't be the same atmosphere, but hopefully a little Bullitt magic will still take place because the Bears have a very tough task ahead of them!

This Central group that are juniors and seniors have always been small but fierce.  Let's hope that's enough for a playoff run!