Scrimmages : Aug 10-14 - updated

VHSLhelper

5 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Have some starters out for the scrimmage. 

Graham had several athletes on the field even without a few starters.  JV saw quite a bit of the action for both teams.  I think the td count ended up 4-2 in favor of Graham.  4-1(I think) with starters in.  I got there a few minutes late and missed a td pass from each team, went back and watched that on NFHS.  Abingdon had really good line play.  Graham has a lot of athleticism.  Both teams ran basic plays.  

Bradshaw had 3 spectacular tds.  One on a cut back, where he made about 8 or 9 defenders look like they were sitting still.  He looked faster than I remember on that play.  I knew he was fast, but wow, he turned on the jets on that play.  Blevins took a handoff, broke a couple tackles and took it about 60 yards for the other score. (I thought it was a QB keeper at first,  but I looked at it again on NFHS).  Nothing fancy for either team, both working on blocking and tackling.  Graham's scores were from big plays.  Other then that, typical first scrimmage, not much consistency 

12 hours ago, BearsFan88 said:

Kingsport is growing fairly quickly. The 2010 census had them at 48,205. 2020 at about 55,442. 

No surprise that DB enrollment would increase. 

West Ridge enrollment is 2100 with a waiting list to get in. AD said they turned down 100's of out of zone requests

26 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Tazewells benefit game vs Chilhowie still on for next week.

Right, but the only team not playing in that jamboree tonight is Tazewell, so it must be them in quarantine. I guess they’ll be out by next week since they left that game on the schedule. 

I watched Graham and Abingdon. Graham's offensive line and defensive lines impressed me. I thought both teams looked very good up front. Bradshaw is just a man amongst boys. Graham is really going to be tough to beat and I think Abingdon will.  Abingdons OC/whoever calls the offense is gifted. They have a nice scheme and I think if they play teams of equal talent in their district, their offensive scheme is going to set them apart a little bit. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Right, but the only team not playing in that jamboree tonight is Tazewell, so it must be them in quarantine. I guess they’ll be out by next week since they left that game on the schedule. 

Missing 10 days for a young team like Tazewell especially as young/new they will be up front could make for a very rough start for the bulldogs

1 minute ago, Fairlawncat said:

I watched Graham and Abingdon. Graham's offensive line and defensive lines impressed me. I thought both teams looked very good up front. Bradshaw is just a man amongst boys. Graham is really going to be tough to beat and I think Abingdon will.  Abingdons OC/whoever calls the offense is gifted. They have a nice scheme and I think if they play teams of equal talent in their district, their offensive scheme is going to set them apart a little bit. 

I'm assuming that the the HC who is a brilliant offensive mind

6 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Missing 10 days for a young team like Tazewell especially as young/new they will be up front could make for a very rough start for the bulldogs

Yep. Hate it for those kids. I feel like this is gonna be a thing all season. 

14 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yep. Hate it for those kids. I feel like this is gonna be a thing all season. 

Yep, and unfortunately, wait until the 10 days are up and 10 days after that, they possibly get to do it all over again when they get 1 or 2 more positives.  Going to be like that all year, all across the state unless teams get vaccinated at 90% or more.  If your a team like Union, Graham, Ridgeview, Central, and possibly Richlands who are favorites (especially Union and Graham) to win the Region, the difference in winning the region could possibly come down to which team has the most kids vaccinated, especially starters.  It could also mean the difference late in the playoffs between teams like Appo, Stuarts Draft, Graham, Union, Buckingham, King William, Poquoson in those semi-final contests.  The team that gets 90% or more of its kids vaxd may determine a trip to the state title or even a state title.   Practice and discipline makes teams improve.  One factor that rarely happens in history, but can at least appear to make a team improve in the form of moving to the next level/game and not have to forfeit is getting vaxd.

17 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I agree. Graham's line seems to have improved on both sides of the ball. I didn't see them going backwards like they did a few times in the spring. Abingdon had a pretty stout line too.. A few starters were out in the secondary for Graham. Hopefully they will return soon. 

I agree with you and @Real Sasquatch Bradshaw seems a little bit faster. Up close you can tell he's been lifting. His vision of the field is pretty impressive. 

7 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I agree. Graham's line seems to have improved on both sides of the ball. I didn't see them going backwards like they did a few times in the spring. Abingdon had a pretty stout line too.. A few starters were out in the secondary for Graham. Hopefully they will return soon. 

I agree with you and @Real Sasquatch Bradshaw seems a little bit faster. Up close you can tell he's been lifting. His vision of the field is pretty impressive. 

Man, did you watch that first series with Graham on offense?  That kid from Abingdon was playing tight on the line of scrimmage with Bradshaw at the snap and wanted to bump him off his route.  I give that kid kudos for his confidence and trying his best, but Good Lord, that lasted one play and boom, touchdown.  His hips are so strong and his balance, cuts coming off the ball at the snap on a pass route are just way beyond what 99% of High School receivers do.  The Notre Dame recruiting analyst that broke down his video talked about his skillset/route running ability at the snap/off the ball technique and man does he have it.  Abingdon backed out of that tight one on one coverage in a hurry after that play.  I presume the G-Men will get Bradshaw more touches throughout the season in the form of hitches, bubble screens, etc.  With Bluefield Coaches there scouting every inch and play, I'm sure Graham didn't want to show Bluefield the other avenues they have of getting Bradshaw the ball.  That kid needs to touch the ball I think, at least 1 time per series and maybe two.   He's a freak after he catches it also.  

15 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Graham had the best D line in the southwest district no doubt about it possibly the region (I didnt see much mountain 7 last spring). If is remember correctly all of them came back. 56 for graham is an absolute monster considering he was only a sophomore. On the flip side of that any OL that has Meadows on is it going to be very good there are not many power 5 D1 commits that put there hand in the group in SWVA. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Has to be Tazewell since Ridgeview is still playing. 

I hate for the boys in green. Been there, done that in the spring right before playoffs & it stinks. I don’t see why an entire team needs to quarantine if just one kid tests positive but that’s just me. It seems overly extreme