Tazewell @ V-High

bulldog05-CO2017

I think both teams have skill players that can put the ball in the end zone. It will come down to line play, I think. Not sure what VHS has, but it seems that is the weak area for Tazewell on both sides. 

1 hour ago, V-Cats said:

Tazewell will have the athletes to keep up with VHS but I think the Cats break the losing streak; 42-28

I am not going to make my predictions, because all it is right now is hype. VA High is improved, and has a lot of athletes. Tazewell has won a few games, but have lost a lot of talent. This one will be interesting and tell a lot about both teams expectations. 

Line play will be huge in this one I havnt seen anything on VA High but Tazewell has taken a pretty big step back in that department Tazewell still has some cats that can move but I feel like VA high can match them for speed and they have more experience since they didn’t have to sit behind the studs Tazewell had last spring

In my opinion, this is the most difficult game to project in Week 1.  

VHS reminds me of Tazewell in 2019.  A team that had taken lump after lump learning how to compete, and now finally has the pieces to field a competitive team.  Will there be a learning curve with the brand new coaching staff when adjusting to actual game environments?  VHS has blown out what looks to be a pitiful Eastside team, and had a comfortable win over a GC team presumed to be somewhere around mediocre.  But they have Stevie Thomas, who is dynamite.

Tazewell lost 17 seniors, yes.  I think the concern about Tazewell’s line is a bit overstated.  Sure, it’s not what it was in the Spring, but it’s not as if the cupboard is completely bare.  No one’s going to confuse Chilhowie with a state title contender, but they had a pair of guys who went 285 and 300, and Tazewell won the battle in the trenches decisively.  And Tazewell has a QB that can neutralize the effects of an inexperienced line somewhat.

i’m excited as can be to be on the call Friday.  This is truly a bellwether game for both teams, and should be close in either direction.

10 hours ago, Football423276434 said:

48-10 Virginia High over Tazewell

Your crazy if you think it’s gonna be that far of scoring. Tazewell isn’t what they was last year, sure. But you’ll be surprised. If I’m wrong, you can call me out Friday! As said by UVA observer everyone talking about the line, it’s not completely gone, they still have some experienced kids. They pushed chilhowie all over the place after seeing it wasn’t gonna be as easy of a W as they thought. Good luck to both teams!

11 hours ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

Your crazy if you think it’s gonna be that far of scoring. Tazewell isn’t what they was last year, sure. But you’ll be surprised. If I’m wrong, you can call me out Friday! As said by UVA observer everyone talking about the line, it’s not completely gone, they still have some experienced kids. They pushed chilhowie all over the place after seeing it wasn’t gonna be as easy of a W as they thought. Good luck to both teams!

Your key quote " It wasn't gonna be as easy of W as they thought"?  Should never assume that with any opponent.  Sometimes that is hard to get through to a young team.  I agree that predicted score won't happen.  

I've seen/heard a lot of great (or better) things coming from VA High this summer. I think they pull out the win. Would I even be crazy enough to say I like them to finish maybe 3rd this year in the SWD behind Graham and Richlands?

1 hour ago, -oo- said:

I've seen/heard a lot of great (or better) things coming from VA High this summer. I think they pull out the win. Would I even be crazy enough to say I like them to finish maybe 3rd this year in the SWD behind Graham and Richlands?

The winner of this game almost certainly finishes no worse than 3rd.

7 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

Your key quote " It wasn't gonna be as easy of W as they thought"?  Should never assume that with any opponent.  Sometimes that is hard to get through to a young team.  I agree that predicted score won't happen.  

I agree with you as well. That should never be assumed. But as said, a young team has that determination. 

14 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I think there's an outside chance the winner finished second in SWD.

I think you have a great point if VA High wins I think the got the skill players to hang with Richlands and maybe Graham. It all depends on how the fair in the trenches. Coach Patterson said in the paper he was not happy with the line play so if they improve then they can for sure be a force. I have not seen that line play yet. I have however seen Tazewells line and they have a lot of growing up to do if they are going to compete for that 3rd spot IMO. The QB is athletic enough to make up for that some but its hard to drop dimes of your back foot constantly  

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I think you have a great point if VA High wins I think the got the skill players to hang with Richlands and maybe Graham. It all depends on how the fair in the trenches. Coach Patterson said in the paper he was not happy with the line play so if they improve then they can for sure be a force. I have not seen that line play yet. I have however seen Tazewells line and they have a lot of growing up to do if they are going to compete for that 3rd spot IMO. The QB is athletic enough to make up for that some but its hard to drop dimes of your back foot constantly  

I agree. They do have a lot of growing up to do. Also as you said Carter can’t do everything on his own. He has to have a good line to set the passes he needs. 

When I couldn't get a link to the Dawgs/Warriors game at starting time, I began watching the Va High/Gate City game.  Va High runs the spread and they are proficient with this.  Thomas is a workforce for them and has the speed when he breaks away.  He will be the game changer if the Bearcats come out on top.  The Dawgs, I don't know their tendencies or makeup, but I think they can give the Bearcats a close game and hopefully come away with a win.  Also, Va High's PAT kicking game isn't automatic.  I believe they missed 2 XP's and Thomas ran for a 2 point conversion on one try.  

8 hours ago, tbgfan said:

When I couldn't get a link to the Dawgs/Warriors game at starting time, I began watching the Va High/Gate City game.  Va High runs the spread and they are proficient with this.  Thomas is a workforce for them and has the speed when he breaks away.  He will be the game changer if the Bearcats come out on top.  The Dawgs, I don't know their tendencies or makeup, but I think they can give the Bearcats a close game and hopefully come away with a win.  Also, Va High's PAT kicking game isn't automatic.  I believe they missed 2 XP's and Thomas ran for a 2 point conversion on one try.  

Tazewell doesn’t have the best kicker either. The punters longest punt against chilhowie was 18 yards. 

41 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I see that V High is doing tickets early through the online site: Varsity Football vs. Tazewell | Football Tickets | GoFan

Also says that ticket sales at the gate are by CC/Debit only.  Are other schools following this as well or is it something that only V High is doing?

Probably due to Delta surge  not having exchange of cash between gate and fans.  

Sullivan County (Bristol area) had 833 new active cases between 8/19 and 8/25.

41 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

Probably due to Delta surge  not having exchange of cash between gate and fans.  

Sullivan County (Bristol area) had 833 new active cases between 8/19 and 8/25.

They did this last year as well.  It is easier way to collect money.  I would rather give cash, but they did it at all events last season as well.