Graham vs Bluefield.

Real Sasquatch

May as well get this one rolling.  By all accounts, this could be one of the years that Graham can beat the Beavers, however, those wins are few and far between.  I think Graham should be favored in this one, but I'll believe it when I see it.  Bluefield always seems to find a way to win, even when Graham is favored.  They lost a close contest to a 4-0 Princeton team that is playing very well  Bluefield has a ton of speed and talent.  The big question for them coming into this season is lineplay.. Graham will need to play good defense or this could be a shootout like the Union game and Bluefield always seems to pull out the win in those type of games with Graham.  Can't wait until Friday.  

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

May as well get this one rolling.  By all accounts, this could be one of the years that Graham can beat the Beavers, however, those wins are few and far between.  I think Graham should be favored in this one, but I'll believe it when I see it.  Bluefield always seems to find a way to win, even when Graham is favored.  They lost a close contest to a 4-0 Princeton team that is playing very well  Bluefield has a ton of speed and talent.  The big question for them coming into this season is lineplay.. Graham will need to play good defense or this could be a shootout like the Union game and Bluefield always seems to pull out the win in those type of games with Graham.  Can't wait until Friday.  

Is there more hype for this game now or more first game of the year

6 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Is there more hype for this game now or more first game of the year

IMO there's more hype for the first game of the season. Both schools hold class reunions for the August game. Unfortunately COVID changed those plans this year. I'm curious to see what kind of attendance will be there.

8 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

No prediction here except it could go either way easily. Neither team has played a full schedule or had consistent practice schedule due to Covid this season. I hope both come out ready and it’s a competitive game. I think there will be a good crowd but not a 10,000 kind of crowd if it had been played in August. Kudos to Bluefield to moving things to play us after we were put on Covid protocol at the beginning of the season. 

3 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

IMO there's more hype for the first game of the season. Both schools hold class reunions for the August game. Unfortunately COVID changed those plans this year. I'm curious to see what kind of attendance will be there.

I would expect a decent crowd, but nothing like first game.  It's Bluefield's homecoming, so that will drive up attendance a little.

Just now, Real Sasquatch said:

I would expect a decent crowd, but nothing like first game.  It's Bluefield's homecoming, so that will drive up attendance a little.

I didn't realize it was their homecoming. Like Gman said I haven't heard much rumblings about the game so I'm not expecting the normal crowd. It should be a good game either way. When was the last time Graham beat Bluefield?

14 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I didn't realize it was their homecoming. Like Gman said I haven't heard much rumblings about the game so I'm not expecting the normal crowd. It should be a good game either way. When was the last time Graham beat Bluefield?

2016 was the last time.  

3 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Reason I asked is because the Appy and PV games always were great and were always the last game of the year and to me wouldn't of had the same feel if it was first week

1 minute ago, goose111874 said:

Reason I asked is because the Appy and PV games always were great and were always the last game of the year and to me wouldn't of had the same feel if it was first week

You wouldn't think so, but the atmosphere is crazy for Bluefield-Graham each year.  10,000 plus.  Tailgating - Reunions. Game is broadcast on NFHS network. More like a College atmosphere.  Bands in the parking lot (until the city of Bluefield moved the location.  I'm attaching an old video, it is a truly remarkable experience for High School Football.  

PIf you pick the Beavers in this game, you will likely be right much more than wrong. It's a mental thing for Graham with Bluefield, and unless Graham is 10 to 14 points better, they will not win the game.  Not saying Graham can't win, but no chance of me picking them. For Graham in this game and every game with Bluefield, you have to see it to believe it for Graham to win. Much indicators say Graham SHOULD win based on more games, and the way Bluefield looked against an improved Princeton team, but no juggernaut by any means. Still, Should win means nothing for Graham in this series. There are probably 15 years worth of games over the past 80 years where Graham likely had the better team and still lost. 

I pick Bluefield to somehow win the game.

1 hour ago, vtdavis4321 said:

PIf you pick the Beavers in this game, you will likely be right much more than wrong. It's a mental thing for Graham with Bluefield, and unless Graham is 10 to 14 points better, they will not win the game.  Not saying Graham can't win, but no chance of me picking them. For Graham in this game and every game with Bluefield, you have to see it to believe it for Graham to win. Much indicators say Graham SHOULD win based on more games, and the way Bluefield looked against an improved Princeton team, but no juggernaut by any means. Still, Should win means nothing for Graham in this series. There are probably 15 years worth of games over the past 80 years where Graham likely had the better team and still lost. 

I pick Bluefield to somehow win the game.

This post is right on target. No doubt, I will be there hoping the "Virginia side boys" will pull this one out. However, I have that  gut feeling that Bluefield will get another one in the win column.

#GrahamPride

1 hour ago, starcityfootballfan said:

This post is right on target. No doubt, I will be there hoping the "Virginia side boys" will pull this one out. However, I have that  gut feeling that Bluefield will get another one in the win column.

#GrahamPride

I have seen this game 48 times. (Telling my age).  It is always hard to pick against Bluefield when these 2 matchup.  I could probably count on two hands the times that I was sure that Graham would win and they somehow lost.  Its hard to describe.  Most years Bluefield Just has more talent and talent usually wins out in week #1.  Graham always seems to get better as the season goes along and it has been that way for as long as I can remember.  Perhaps playing later in the seaspn will benefit Graham this time around.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, frito gonzales said:

The city of Bluefield has cut out the fun of tailgating and ruined the fun and economic benefit to the game.

This is what happens when you have town that votes in those with IQ's of less than 70- (that classifies as mentally retarded).  There's no wonder that town has wicked economic issues and much higher rates of crime than most realize.  What's going on in the past 25 years on the Bluefield, VA, side of the border and that development could have all been on the other side of the line with a little intelligence, leadership, and forethought.  Well.............see sentence number one in this paragraph as to why that is not the case.  A town with what could be considered an economic crisis and what do they do, they cut off a self money maker and shoot themselves in the foot again.  What's the old saying........"you keep banging your head against the wall and continue to ask why it hurts each time you do it, and you continue to do it in order to expect a different result."   That's the leadership (not the individual people or normal citizens) but the leadership (town council) in Bluefield, WV, over the years.  I know it fluctuates and there are some good ones, but overall, if looking at the whole picture over the last 30 years, its' been a shi*show when referring to the town council.  As for 99% of the individual citizens in Bluefield, WV, that I've ever met.....class act-good people like every other town in SWVA coverage area (minus Narrows of course).  Relax Narz, I'm kidding.

9 hours ago, rabidbeaver said:

Old money doesn't want new money coming in...in other words, old money doesn't want to lose their power and influence. 

This is exactly it. If you think board members made the decisions you are fooling yourself. It is the people with the money behind the scenes making the decisions. Now that the old money is dying off Bluefield has taken some steps forward. Very small steps but there is a giant hole to dig out of left by old money.

Since I moved out of state earlier this year, I can tell you I won't be in attendance Friday night. I'm not even sure when, if ever, I'll get to go to another Bluefield football game again, sadly. It was a Friday night staple of mine for many years. With this Covid era of no fan attendance and/or game cancellations, it has made my transition somewhat easier to adjusting to life without going to the games. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bluefield get beat Friday with the broken amount of game/prep action they've had for the last two months. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they aren't in shape to play this game.

47 minutes ago, Gfan said:

It’s sad how quiet this post has been for a Graham vs Beaver game.

Has Bluefield even played enough for anyone to know their strengths & weaknesses? VA played in the spring so there was just a small lull in football but since WV played last fall , it’s hard to remember what Bluefield had or is expected to have back. I’m sure there are some that can speak to Bluefield’s strengths and weaknesses, Do they have depth? Speed? Etc. I’m just not among that crowd that knows those answers, lol. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on the thread. 

My mindset is always, it’s Bluefield , it will be tough game. Graham is sometimes their own worst enemy but it’s later in the season and not the first game. I hope that works out to Graham’s favor. Has Bluefield had enough time to get back to it? Did most of the conditioning from summer & August dissipate during September shutdown? Then you have to consider, it’s home game for Bluefield which means WV officials 😂😂

So many question marks 😂😂

56 minutes ago, Gfan said:

It’s sad how quiet this post has been for a Graham vs Beaver game.

Seems quiet every year, but then 10,000 show up to the game.  I don't think there will be 10,000 this year.  Supposed to be rainy and cold, homecoming for Bluefield will boost attendance somewhat, but I would imagine 5,000 to 6,000 tops.  I may be proven wrong however.