Week 7 updates

VHSLhelper

Williams was a legend and is a VHSL inductee. He was also a devout Christian and after Lee High, was the Athletics Director at Milligan College. He did a phenomenal job there and he helped start up 6 churches over the years prior to his passing. He was an incredible coach, but more important, an incredible man. 

If you're on your death bed and looking back at life, well.....Williams likely had few regrets. Dude did everything.

He was only one of two athletes in its history, at Milligan,  to letter in 4 sports. He went to Jonesville High and started his coaching career at Dryden after getting out of the Army. He was a highly decorated counter intelligence Officer. Dude served on local Town councils, the Lee School Board, become a college AD, etc. He did it all.

Halftime in Williamsburg, VA, and the game is on NFHS for this Bay Rivers District Matchup

#11th ranked 4A Warhill 14, 2A Poquoson 7

Warhill looks a whole lot like the old Powell Valley Vikings in uniforms.   They are 6-0 and definitely have some Tidewater Talent.  They look Big, Strong, and Fast, but those kids from Bull Island are battling right with em.  Poquoson has 2 turnovers with that wing T offense of theirs inside the 10 of Warhill in this game.  Warhill seems to have tons of depth and just seems to rotate 2 and 3 guys in on the line of scrimmage on offense and on defense like clockwork.

I saw Lee High School play 2 times in its history.  The 1st one was the state title game at Bailey Field (Tabb) in 1990.  I was workin at the shipyard then. Lee lost 21-14 and was the better team.  I don't think I've ever seen a High School football game in all of my life that poorly skewed officiating in one direction.  Lee was the better team, and was the better team by quite a bit in my opinion.  Tabb's former All Americans Wayne Kirby, Terry Kirby, and Chris Slade has graduated and weren't on that 1990 Tabb team.

The second time I see em was in 1991 when I moved back home to Radford and watched them at Salem.  Lee lost something like 37-14 to Salem in the semi's at Salem with Salem's Marcus Parker (Va Tech RB starter).  Lee had a linebacker named L.S. or W. L. Carlson or Carrlon or something like that who was maybe the hardest hitting High School LB I've seen.  The very first Salem play of the game, he hit Marcus Parker on a screen pass Parker caught so hard I thought he actually killed him.  Parker's helmet flew off and he was out for 1 series.  I have no idea how he came back in, but that was on bad linebacker Lee had.

Down 14-7 with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Poquoson with a 67 yd drive fueled by a 63 yd halfback pass that went to the 4 of Warhill.  With 4 tries from the 4 yd line, Poquoson scores with 39 seconds left on 4th and goal from the one yard line.  The extra point...........bobbled snap and no good!!!

Warhill wins a thriller 14-13.  Warhill advances to 7-0 on the season.  Warhill will play Lafayette (its rival) the last regular season game in 3 weeks.

Tomorrow Night has two huge games down East.  2A powerhouse King William plays the Bay Rivers District machine and 3A defending state champion and undefeated Lafayette of Williamsburg.  The game is at KW.  King William is led by Running Back Demond Claiborne, who sports offers from Michigan, Purdue, WVU, UVA, and VT, but is currently committed to Wake Forest.  Also, Region B power Buckingham plays Region A Nottoway tomorrow night in another huge contest.  Nottoway is led by athlete Tyler Banks, who has offers from VT, UVA, Tennessee, WVU, California, Michigan, and others.

Region A, 2A, has 3 very good football teams this year in King William, Poqouson, and undefeated Nottoway.  Thomas Jefferson of Richmond is 5-1, but they haven't played nearly the schedule strength as the other 3. 

2 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

I saw Lee High School play 2 times in its history.  The 1st one was the state title game at Bailey Field (Tabb) in 1990.  I was workin at the shipyard then. Lee lost 21-14 and was the better team.  I don't think I've ever seen a High School football game in all of my life that poorly skewed officiating in one direction.  Lee was the better team, and was the better team by quite a bit in my opinion.  Tabb's former All Americans Wayne Kirby, Terry Kirby, and Chris Slade has graduated and weren't on that 1990 Tabb team.

The second time I see em was in 1991 when I moved back home to Radford and watched them at Salem.  Lee lost something like 37-14 to Salem in the semi's at Salem with Salem's Marcus Parker (Va Tech RB starter).  Lee had a linebacker named L.S. or W. L. Carlson or Carrlon or something like that who was maybe the hardest hitting High School LB I've seen.  The very first Salem play of the game, he hit Marcus Parker on a screen pass Parker caught so hard I thought he actually killed him.  Parker's helmet flew off and he was out for 1 series.  I have no idea how he came back in, but that was on bad linebacker Lee had.

I believe his name was LW Calton. I was at that game as well.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:48 PM, BigWinners said:

As a kid in BSG, the Battle of the Boot was a LEGIT rivalry. Lee always had some MONSTER linemen and were more than capable of beating PV.  From 1991-1996, Lee beat PV three times. PV won two state titles during that time (94-95). They beat the 1994 state title team. They ended a 25 game win streak by PV in the 1996 opener. Made the D4 (4A now) final four in 1997. They were a powerhouse. But then they fell apart and started to run off every coach who managed to win. Since that run that ended in mid 90s, Lee has beaten PV/Union once, 2002. They've went 1-27 against Big Stone since then. A shame.

The first two meetings between PV and Lee (89&90) were both won by PV, too, but weren’t exactly close. They were for a bit, but think the finals in those were 47-26 and 30-13, respectively.