Week 7 updates

VHSLhelper

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

Indeed! Feeling more confident about the 29th. Although, that gives the Falcons plenty of time to clean up some stuff.

Yeah more worried about their passing game though even though every receiver was wide open with no pressure on QB but still he's thrown the ball all over the place

9 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah more worried about their passing game though even though every receiver was wide open with no pressure on QB but still he's thrown the ball all over the place

With the way GC stopped the run in the 1st half, maybe we can drop an extra body into coverage. Otherwise, could be a repeat of Ridgeview without the speed.

5 minutes ago, SWVA_HOKIE said:

I would say to give HC Joey Carroll a little credit!  Burton was a nice building block even if they aren't as good as some thought they would be.

I agree with you.  Carroll can coach.  He's pretty sharp, a great motivator, and looking at Lee's scores up to this point and East Montgomery's, that game is supposed to be very close.  I think he's already making impact at Lee High.  It wouldn't surprise me if he had them competitive again in 2-3 years.  I don't know if they will be what they once were back in the day, but they are going to clearly be much better than they have been.

5 minutes ago, SWVA_HOKIE said:

I would say to give HC Joey Carroll a little credit!  Burton was a nice building block even if they aren't as good as some thought they would be.

I’m not downing the coach but 2 of there 3 wins came against teams that combine for a 0-13 record. It’s the same with Giles. We’re looking pretty good right now but our 4 wins consisted of a winless Blacksburg and Fort Chiswell team as well as a GW and Narrows team that are are down this year. 

3 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I’m not downing the coach but 2 of there 3 wins came against teams that combine for a 0-13 record. It’s the same with Giles. We’re looking pretty good right now but our 4 wins consisted of a winless Blacksburg and Fort Chiswell team as well as a GW and Narrows team that are are down this year. 

True, but you have to compare Lee High to not just the 3 teams with 0-13 records.  You have to compare Lee High to........Lee High.  In the last 3 seasons, they have won only 2 football games since the year of 2017 prior to starting this current season.

44 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Look at it from this perspective:

Yes one win came in very unfortunate circumstances at Rye Cove, but last weeks win against burton was so back and forth and they DID NOT back down! 

This is a team that is gaining confidence, experience, and valuable football wisdom.  The offensive talent is there. It will take time to build a winner, but it seems if they can continue to improve their technique on the defensive side of the ball, they will win a few more games this year.

On 10/10/2021 at 2:46 PM, 1inStripes said:

I understood wanting to back Union up but said to those sitting with me Ridgeview just cost themselves 40 seconds and could probably only win the game with a blocked punt when they accepted that penalty.  Their defense was solid but I understand the concern of trying to stop Union on the next two plays as well.

In that case, all consideration has to take into account the clock first. Once it hits zero, nothing else matters.

If Abingdon O line or D line got pushed around on the line of scrimmage like was suggested in this thread then Abingdon has a big problem! I've seen their line and they're big. Probably overall the biggest in the area. That's a concern!

20 minutes ago, Lee2000 said:

Look at it from this perspective:

Yes one win came in very unfortunate circumstances at Rye Cove, but last weeks win against burton was so back and forth and they DID NOT back down! 

This is a team that is gaining confidence, experience, and valuable football wisdom.  The offensive talent is there. It will take time to build a winner, but it seems if they can continue to improve their technique on the defensive side of the ball, they will win a few more games this year.

I don't think Lee has lacked talent, and they've had some good coaches. The problem has been the school board. Arm chair QBs that only run to get rid of the football coach. 

Lee has had a couple of coaches that were taking them in a good direction until the school board decided they knew better. Hopefully, they'll leave Carroll alone.

4 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

If Abingdon O line or D line got pushed around on the line of scrimmage like was suggested in this thread then Abingdon has a big problem! I've seen their line and they're big. Probably overall the biggest in the area. That's a concern!

They couldn't run the ball nor could they stop the run in the 1st half. Had it not been for the passes, Abingdon could have went into the half down 4 TDs.

Maybe GC was fired up or Abingdon was sleep walking. Either way, it was surprising.

18 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

They couldn't run the ball nor could they stop the run in the 1st half. Had it not been for the passes, Abingdon could have went into the half down 4 TDs.

Maybe GC was fired up or Abingdon was sleep walking. Either way, it was surprising.

Thanks for the updates. Didn't watch the game, but I wouldn't put too much into this one way or the other. Abingdon just played 5 nights ago.  They got what they needed which was the w. Now they get 10 days off before Ridgeview and Union back to back. 

2 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

There's def talent in Lee.County, just gotta find a coach who can develop it and the mommy's and daddy's and school officials need to leave him the hell alone and give him time to build something.

You'll never get rid of the Mommy and Daddy issues of programs. You do need school officials that has the backs of the coaches when they need to put their foot down!

Just now, Wolf1207 said:

You'll never get rid of the Mommy and Daddy issues of programs. You do need school officials that has the backs of the coaches when they need to put their foot down!

You're right but unfortunately that hasn't been the case at Lee High in decades. They are hell bent on running off any coach who gains a modicum of success. It's insane.