Week 7 updates

VHSLhelper

Just now, Mountain Football said:

So the officials that worked the Union/Graham game worked the Union/RV game tonight right? 

I don’t know who they are and I know there’sa shortage so I’m being a bit easy on them! But there was a few times where they didn’t have a clue and it killed the flow of the game!

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham 31

Bluefield 6

10:55 left in game

Blevins will be sore tomorrow! 

Bluefield couldn't stop Blevins, Graham didn't hardly have to crack open the playbook. I think the G-men were content with letting Blevins run the ball 70 percent of the time in this one.  I think Bradshaw touched the ball twice.  Graham has a plethora of athletes to choose from, but their services weren't needed.  Graham played it close to the vest.

Grayson county33-  Auburn 0

Grayson looked good but poor old Auburn, I was impressed with those kids itn would have been easy to just give up this season but they have played on with less than 20 kids it looked like. 

Galax 48- FC 14 

GALAX looked the best they have all year by far. It looked like Allen greatly opened up the playbook during the off week.   

22 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I thought Rv was way too nervous in the first half. Unions d was good, but when they abandoned the run they were able to get going! The main problem was they couldn’t get Union off the field. Kudos to them they made the plays and front runner rv the second half. Luckily this is Rv’s least tough road game . The rest are at home till the playoffs. See note Union and Central will be extremely close next week! 

The run calls in the fourth quarter were baffling. As a Union fan, I was pumped every time RV ran the ball regardless if they gained yardage or not. It kept the clock running, kept Beavers out of the play and played into Unions strength. I was surprised when they called runs, especially later inn the 4th

8 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Bluefield couldn't stop Blevins, Graham didn't hardly have to crack open the playbook. I think the G-men were content with letting Blevins run the ball 70 percent of the time in this one.  I think Bradshaw touched the ball twice.  Graham has a plethora of athletes to choose from, but their services weren't needed.  Graham played it close to the vest.

I agree, Blevins is an athlete and a half. The defense was pretty much on point all night with one exception that eventually led to Beaver scoring. If the defense continues to improve, they're going to be downright nasty come playoff time. They're already pretty nasty. 

17 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I don’t know who they are and I know there’sa shortage so I’m being a bit easy on them! But there was a few times where they didn’t have a clue and it killed the flow of the game!

Yeah I agree. They really killed momentum a few times and let the game get way too chippy. The Beavers kid contained his emotions excellently, never let Union get to him. The Counts kid on the other hand seemed to let Jenkins rattle him a couple times. It didn't hurt RV at all but I think it also didn't help. Just seemed like at times he was more excited to jaw back and forth with Jenkins at times than he was to run routes. That's on the officials tho, they did a poor job of making the kids on both sides knock off all the extra curricular stuff. Both teams were engaging in it, not blaming either side.

51 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

He really does look years ahead of his age. One thing i seen though, not sure if it was the bad video feed, but it looked like he doesn't bring the ball back far enough when he throws. Almost like hes pushing it. Very well could've been the bad video cuz it also looked like tazewell was moving before almost every snap and it was never called. 

#6 was moving before the snap on every play.

6 minutes ago, BigWinners said:
7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah I agree. They really killed momentum a few times and let the game get way too chippy. The Beavers kid contained his emotions excellently, never let Union get to him. The Counts kid on the other hand seemed to let Jenkins rattle him a couple times. It didn't hurt RV at all but I think it also didn't help. Just seemed like at times he was more excited to jaw back and forth with Jenkins at times than he was to run routes. That's on the officials tho, they did a poor job of making the kids on both sides knock off all the extra curricular stuff. Both teams were engaging in it, not blaming either side.

The biggest thing about tonight is that I think RV grew a lot off of this. Hopefully that’ll bode well when they play Abingdon in a couple of weeks!

Just now, Wolf1207 said:

The biggest thing about tonight is that I think RV grew a lot off of this. Hopefully that’ll bode well when they play Abingdon in a couple of weeks!

Absolutely. They came into a hostile environment and did not quit when Union was in complete control for a half. They def found their rhythm in second half and showed what they were capable of. There are some holes for sure, the LBs crashing down so quick on every run hurt them when Union did go any form of misdirection. No play action at all from Bears either, did not try and fool the LBs and attack deep middle. But that was probably a coaching decision based on Unions offense.

18 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

The run calls in the fourth quarter were baffling. As a Union fan, I was pumped every time RV ran the ball regardless if they gained yardage or not. It kept the clock running, kept Beavers out of the play and played into Unions strength. I was surprised when they called runs, especially later inn the 4th

I was surprised with all the run plays Ridgeview did tonight especially in the 1st quarter haven’t seen them run that much all year. Great sportsmanship from the Union kid helping one of Ridgeview guys out with his cramp need to see more of that. 

16 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I agree, Blevins is an athlete and a half. The defense was pretty much on point all night with one exception that eventually led to Beaver scoring. If the defense continues to improve, they're going to be downright nasty come playoff time. They're already pretty nasty. 

Graham's defense played very well, with a couple of exceptions.  They are continuing to improve, which has been a trade-mark of Graham teams as of late.   Tackling was much better in this contest then it has been.  They need to continue to improve in that department.  Stevie Thomas and The Virginia High Bearcats will be a challenge for Graham.  I am anxious to see if the defense rises to the occasion.  

Just now, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham's defense played very well, with a couple of exceptions.  They are continuing to improve, which has been a trade-mark of Graham teams as of late.   Tackling was much better in this contest then it has been.  They need to continue to improve in that department.  Stevie Thomas and The Virginia High Bearcats will be a challenge for Graham.  I am anxious to see if the defense rises to the occasion.  

Speaking of VA High, do they finish the Honaker game tomorrow? Early next week? What happens when it's cancelled because of lightning?

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

What was the call on the Ko when union player leveled the kid.  If it was helmet to helmet he couldn't help it the kid literally ducked

Union kid pushed the ball carrier after the tackle, it was legit personal foul. He is lucky not to get ejected 

22 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

The run calls were nowhere as baffling as the accepted holding penalty on Union’s last drive when the RB ran out of bounds. Sure, it would have been 2nd and 5, but Ridgeview still had a TO and could have called it after the next play setting up a 3rd down instead of having Union in a 2nd and long with no time outs left. That 45 seconds lost there pretty much ended it. If you’re Ridgeview, you can’t be handed a free time out in that situation and hand it right back.

2 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Speaking of VA High, do they finish the Honaker game tomorrow? Early next week? What happens when it's cancelled because of lightning?

Tentative for Monday.  Will know for sure tomorrow.  

1 minute ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Not to take away from the Union/Ridgeview & Richlands/Tazewell games but how about them Holston Cavaliers. They're solid for a team that lost a lot from the Spring. Not sure if they're on Galax's level but definitely a team to watch out for going forward!

Akers is looking pretty good at Holston.

3 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

The run calls were nowhere as baffling as the accepted holding penalty on Union’s last drive when the RB ran out of bounds. Sure, it would have been 2nd and 5, but Ridgeview still had a TO and could have called it after the next play setting up a 3rd down instead of having Union in a 2nd and long with no time outs left. That 45 seconds lost there pretty much ended it. If you’re Ridgeview, you can’t be handed a free time out in that situation and hand it right back.

Yeah that was a bad decision but I guess they were thinking that they wouldn't stop Lomax for 5 yards on 2 carries I guess

5 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

That didn't cross my mind but you're exactly right. But on the flip side, Union is much more likely to convert if it's shorter yardage but if they were confident they get the stop, you def decline penalty and take the down. They also called a timeout after a first down, not great clock management. 

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

That we agree on , was there last name Biden?