Sherman

Ever who wins state will field most of the all state players with a few standout players getting some of the positions.  Players like Bradshaw if Graham doesn't win state and Lomax maybe but I'm sure theres alot of competition at RB.

34 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I know the receivers in the region are loaded.  Jenkins at Union is great and won't even make 1st team.  

If Jenkins doesn't make first team, then they shouldn't have a team, period.  As good as Beavers and Webb are, Jenkins is the second best WR in the area.  He's also a Div 1 FCS commit (as is Webb).  He's more than a good ole fashioned tough SWVA kid that is a great high school football player that works hard, this kid is a legitimate Div 1 player, and he will go to William and Mary and not just make the team, then transfer to a small local college.  He'll do well at William and Mary and get to play his last 3 years there.  He has great hands and great route running ability and world class speed.  I think he can play higher than William and Mary.

1 minute ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

If Jenkins doesn't make first team, then they shouldn't have a team, period.  As good as Beavers and Webb are, Jenkins is the second best WR in the area.  He's also a Div 1 FCS commit (as is Webb).  He's more than a good ole fashioned tough SWVA kid that is a great high school football player that works hard, this kid is a legitimate Div 1 player, and he will go to William and Mary and not make the team.  He'll do well and get to play his last 3 years there.  He has great hands and great route running ability and world class speed.  I think he can play higher than William and Mary.

Yeah he will I was talking about Unions Jenkins

12 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah he will I was talking about Unions Jenkins

Oh, I gotcha.  Well, the Jenkins from Union is a stud too.  Any other year, that kid is making first team, but look who's he competing against.  3 WR's in the region that are Div 1 already in Bradshaw, Webb, and GC Jenkins, then you got Beavers and Harris from Tazewell who are sure to get some kind of D1 offer.  That is competing against as many at 5 likely/future Div 1 WR's in one region.  That's absurd and I have never seen WR depth like that in Region D at any time.  I've never seen so many kids in Region D with Div 1 offers (whether FBS or FCS) at any given time either, when adding in the lineman and running backs.  

As good as Jenkins is, take away every WR listed above except Jenkins from Union.  Did you know that Graham's Watkins (the other fast WR who caught the late ball on Union) already has a Div 2 offer (Bluefield State).  I think Watkins is just a junior, but he's also put up bigtime numbers at Graham and it's just crazy to think how many solid WR's are in the region.  Then, there's the other kid at RV (Counts?)  Just literally like 8 deep at WR in the region.

1 minute ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Oh, I gotcha.  Well, the Jenkins from Union is a stud too.  Any other year, that kid is making first team, but look who's he competing against.  3 WR's in the region that are Div 1 already in Bradshaw, Webb, and GC Jenkins, then you got Beavers and Harris from Tazewell who are sure to get some kind of D1 offer.  That is competing against as many at 5 likely/future Div 1 WR's in one region.  That's absurd and I have never seen WR depth like that in Region D at any time.  I've never seen so many kids in Region D with Div 1 offers (whether FBS or FCS) at any given time either.

It's rather impressive all the way around the amount of talent in D this year. I'm not much on these awards because it seems like they can be somewhat political BS. Hopefully nobody will get left off that deserves recognition regardless of position but that WR position is loaded for our area.

21 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Oh, I gotcha.  Well, the Jenkins from Union is a stud too.  Any other year, that kid is making first team, but look who's he competing against.  3 WR's in the region that are Div 1 already in Bradshaw, Webb, and GC Jenkins, then you got Beavers and Harris from Tazewell who are sure to get some kind of D1 offer.  That is competing against as many at 5 likely/future Div 1 WR's in one region.  That's absurd and I have never seen WR depth like that in Region D at any time.  I've never seen so many kids in Region D with Div 1 offers (whether FBS or FCS) at any given time either, when adding in the lineman and running backs.  

As good as Jenkins is, take away every WR listed above except Jenkins from Union.  Did you know that Graham's Watkins (the other fast WR who caught the late ball on Union) already has a Div 2 offer (Bluefield State).  I think Watkins is just a junior, but he's also put up bigtime numbers at Graham and it's just crazy to think how many solid WR's are in the region.  Then, there's the other kid at RV (Counts?)  Just literally like 8 deep at WR in the region.

Maybe Unions Jenkins can get on team as utility player since he plays special teams also.  Anyway it doesn't really matter they'd all probably rather go deep in the playoffs than worry about awards hopefully 🙏

I’d argue that Jenkins (GC) is more correctly labeled as an APB which makes me curious about the criteria for positions (% of snaps??).  Webb and Bradshaw are slots “Z” which are still WRs,  and Harris and Beavers are the closest to a classic “X” wide receiver.  Beavers has the best hands and ball skills, IMHO with the caveat that I haven’t seen Harris yet.  I would throw underneath to Bradshaw all day long and wouldn’t send him deep.  He is absolutely lethal YAC and the toughest to D up.  Webb may be the most versatile of all of them. Union’s Jenkins is just in a very crowded WR group this season.  

I’d love to see some stats…that’s a big part of it.  I remember back years ago that the Bristol Herald used to keep the weekly stats for passing, rushing and receiving for the local high school teams.  I really wish they’d do that again.

15 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I’d argue that Jenkins (GC) is more correctly labeled as an APB which makes me curious about the criteria for positions (% of snaps??).  Webb and Bradshaw are slots “Z” which are still WRs,  and Harris and Beavers are the closest to a classic “X” wide receiver.  Beavers has the best hands and ball skills, IMHO with the caveat that I haven’t seen Harris yet.  I would throw underneath to Bradshaw all day long and wouldn’t send him deep.  He is absolutely lethal YAC and the toughest to D up.  Webb may be the most versatile of all of them. Union’s Jenkins is just in a very crowded WR group this season.  

I’d love to see some stats…that’s a big part of it.  I remember back years ago that the Bristol Herald used to keep the weekly stats for passing, rushing and receiving for the local high school teams.  I really wish they’d do that again.

LOL - The biggest part of it is what coach pushes the hardest, and who they can get to vote with them!

A lot of truth in that statement.  Name recognition matters as well…seems like some kids repeat even if they are having a slightly down year.  I looked back at the receivers from last year and am surprised Brickey from Central was 1st team all region.  That was a head scratcher…. All I need to know is who the defense game plans for. 

17 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Bradshaw aligns a lot in X and Graham has been successful with it. It forces the team to either put two players covering him which give Graham a numbers advantage on the strong side. The deep shots keep the safety out of the box. I think his touchdowns against Jenkins(Union) and Thomas (V High) came off this formation and the opposing teams electing to go with single coverage on him.

15 minutes ago, Gfan said:

Bradshaw aligns a lot in X and Graham has been successful with it. It forces the team to either put two players covering him which give Graham a numbers advantage on the strong side. The deep shots keep the safety out of the box. I think his touchdowns against Jenkins(Union) and Thomas (V High) came off this formation and the opposing teams electing to go with single coverage on him.

It amazes me that teams still elect to single coverage him and punt to him. But I hope they continue 😊

10 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

It amazes me that teams still elect to single coverage him and punt to him. But I hope they continue 😊

Agree.  If you are punting to Bradshaw after game 5, then a discussion needs held by the AD with the Head Coach or Boosters or something, because you have simply chosen to watch ZERO film and give a grand total of zero Kourics.  

Lastly, Freddy Simon of the Beavers.   Great coach, great staff, always solid, but a D- against Ridgeview.  So bad of a defensive coaching job ii almost cost Bluefield the football game.  They continued to guard Beavers one on one, and Bluefield is so used to being the fastest team on the field, they obviously forgot the difference in one player's speed and team speed   The Beavers kid from Ridgeview actually TOOK the game over in the second half.   He almost took the game over to a point that RV was very close in pulling the W.   Play after play after play, Bluefield just refused to Not guard him one on one, and just convinced themselves that each catch was just a one time thing, then it got deep in the fourth quarter and the kid had flipped the game completely and it was almost to late.  J. Greene from Bluefield is lightening fast.  I understand he's a track guy, and he also has nasty football speed, but there is still something to be said about a kid like Beavers who also has tremendous speed, and then you add the route running ability which to me, looks D1 level, then add his hands, and his ability to position his body in the best way possible to increase his chances for a reception, and you get a mismatch, and THAT is exactly what it was.  It was a complete mismatch that almost cost Bluefield not just the game, but the chance to make the playoffs.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:21 PM, GilesDavis4321 said:

Agree.  If you are punting to Bradshaw after game 5, then a discussion needs held by the AD with the Head Coach or Boosters or something, because you have simply chosen to watch ZERO film and give a grand total of zero Kourics.  

Lastly, Freddy Simon of the Beavers.   Great coach, great staff, always solid, but a D- against Ridgeview.  So bad of a defensive coaching job ii almost cost Bluefield the football game.  They continued to guard Beavers one on one, and Bluefield is so used to being the fastest team on the field, they obviously forgot the difference in one player's speed and team speed   The Beavers kid from Ridgeview actually TOOK the game over in the second half.   He almost took the game over to a point that RV was very close in pulling the W.   Play after play after play, Bluefield just refused to Not guard him one on one, and just convinced themselves that each catch was just a one time thing, then it got deep in the fourth quarter and the kid had flipped the game completely and it was almost to late.  J. Greene from Bluefield is lightening fast.  I understand he's a track guy, and he also has nasty football speed, but there is still something to be said about a kid like Beavers who also has tremendous speed, and then you add the route running ability which to me, looks D1 level, then add his hands, and his ability to position his body in the best way possible to increase his chances for a reception, and you get a mismatch, and THAT is exactly what it was.  It was a complete mismatch that almost cost Bluefield not just the game, but the chance to make the playoffs.

Agree.  I think sometimes ego gets in the way…..”that kid can’t    I remember a Union fan on this board saying “Turner doesn’t change his defense for anyone…didn’t do it for Adkins…won’t do it.  Except that Union did change their defense.  I had more respect for Turner that he DID change his defense….ego isn’t bigger than his brain…good coach right there…put his team in a better position to win the game.  Good coaches game plan to stop the other team’s best weapons.  

• 2 weeks later...

Cassius Harris should have a hammer lock on the #1 WR slot for Region D and 2A with the season he’s had.  Tied 1 VHSL record and set another in just 11 games, and that’s across all classifications.  Would be a travesty if that didn’t happen.

Likewise, Lomax should be the runaway Region D #1 RB.  

15 minutes ago, CPF said:

Ethan Mills from Tazewell is highly underrated and is a sleeper pick for all region.

He finished with 33 receptions for 697 yards and 8 touchdowns.

He really came on in the second half of the season. Over his last 6 games 543 yards and 7 touchdowns.

he also had 3 interceptions on defense. 

I think Bradshaw is region player of year.  Bradshaw, Meadows , or the QB.  G-men offense has been better than expected.   Beavers  , Harris , Webb , Lomax , Thomas , Jenkins would be on my short list of candidates. .   Head to head should count . I’ve watched all these guys play at least once this year.   Beavers is legit and had big games at big times.  Lomax is the best true rb around.  Period.  Webb had huge games vs union , va high , Ridgeview, Tazewell and led his team in rushing and receiving  in about 8 out of 10 games., and is the most versatile of the group.    But the Richlands record will hurt him.  I think Lomax losing this round hurts his chances but he may have a shot at this award.  He goes hard vs everyone on the schedule.  He may be the most deserving.  IMO.  I would vote Bradshaw , Lomax , Webb.     Not that these others guys aren’t worthy.  And this is certainly debatable.   But I’m not all about stats or Harris would be the guy. He is legit.   A Top player in the region and will make a run next year at this award. 
I like what a player  does  vs good teams.  No trash time tds , during a blowout etc. Jenkins had 1 catch for about 40 yards through 3 and a half quarters at Richlands then goes for 2 big runs after subs were made.   He is great but didn’t pass the eye test the 4  times I’ve watched him play.  And each time was vs an average Richlands team and once vs va high. Some of Thomas’s stats were against single A schools and put up some late in games so that’s just a slight knock on him. Still a great player.  The 2 guys from the g men do it every week.  Beavers , Webb , Harris , Lomax did it every week.  That’s my list.    One of the G men guys should get the award.  

Said this many times before, if you are picking a Region Player of the Year overall (which means offense and defense) it's Brody Meadows of Graham.  He changes the game more for opponents than Bradshaw in my opinion.  Bradshaw changes the game for sure, but when you look at the defensive side as well, the kid just takes the game over up front.  Even where Bradshaw had a touchdown catch night, but otherwise fairly well contained, Meadows just took Union apart not just offensively, but with some of those licks he had on Lomax where it wasn't a 2 or 3 man tackling job.  It was one hit and quickly, down on the turf.  

I would vote for Meadows if I had a vote and the rule that people stupidly seem to agree on........., "we can't give it generally to a lineman."  Well, change that stupid a** way of thinking.  He has changed the game for opponents on both sides of the ball more than any player in Region D in my opinion, and I actually don't think it's that close.  I'm actually surprised that the majority of posters don't see that.  Shocking to me.  Just my opinion.  Bradshaw is a superb player, but a 3 star.  Meadows is a 4 star and flirting with honorable mention All-American looks for a reason folks.  There's a reason he's a 4 star.  It's shown in EVERY game Graham has played.  When it's all said and done with all of these Div 1 guys in the region this year and next year, then one playing the longest in the league and the one that is a sure fire pick to play on Sundays is Meadows, even more than Bradshaw in my opinion.  If he's playing for an Oscar Smith or Stone Bridge, he's a 5 star.  Only a a 4 star because he's playing at the Class 2 level.  

3 hours ago, EH31 said:

He finished with 33 receptions for 697 yards and 8 touchdowns.

He really came on in the second half of the season. Over his last 6 games 543 yards and 7 touchdowns.

he also had 3 interceptions on defense. 

With Bradshaw, Harris (1400, 100, 10), Beavers (1000, 48, 16), Webb….it’s locked up already.  He’ll have a shot next year.

I agree meadows changes a game. But Bradshaw , Webb , beavers , change a game just as much. IMO , way more .  When Graham , Richlands play for example.  Your not kicking to Bradshaw or Webb.  Webb had had a true double , in their last three matchups.  You also don’t throw on their receivers when they are in man coverage . Therefore Bradshaw , who you can’t punt/ kick too. You don’t throw on , and  you must double him and  he is on the best team ( record wise ) .  Webb has way more effect on a game than beavers or Jenkins.  Not saying he or Bradshaw is way better than those guys but they do more even when they aren’t touching the ball than those others .  . Coaches know Brody meadows is the best lineman prospect in a long time and they have to game plan around him and they should. I’m a meadows fan. I think he is legit .  But when they get to Bradshaw ,  the game planning takes a little longer.  He has double the effect on a game as does meadows.   If  you double Bradshaw all night , don’t kick toward him , and he can play d and chase down anything that may bust loose ?  He is the mvp.   

I think the player that gets most lost in these conversations is Zach Blevins, Graham’s QB. I don’t know how many times he appeared sacked and squirmed loose to get major yardage, a TD, or manage just enough to get a needed first down. I honestly think he’s the best all around athlete on the team. I’m not taking away from the others at all. Meadows without a doubt, defensive player of the year and Bradshaw offensive player by default I think if Graham wins the region but without Blevins at QB, I’m not sure Graham would have had the season they have.