Mountain 7

Backpack

• 3 weeks later...

Girls:  1. Central will be a force.  A quick force.  Dotson’s cool head has always been tough to coach against.  

2.  Abingdon. Williams dishes it out.  She’s  missed at Burton   Go Raiders!!

3 & 4.  RV and Union.   I’m picking Union.   Daughter and friends say RV has major issues with Coach and athletes refusing to play, quitting, and transferring.  If he had kept the Hammonds girl to compliment Sutherland they’d be unstoppable.  Sutherland may be able to lead them out.  
Union has a strong player in Slagale.

Mountain 7 girls basketball is usually the best district in the state.  This year will be almost a rebuilding year for the whole district.  A lot of talented youth coming up for the future.  Will be exciting over the next 4-5 years.  

Central has started out well.  McCamis is a tough holdback freshman.  Probably the most talented player of the family.  Dotson is the best girls coach (always gets the most out of what he has) so that probably gives them the district edge.  

Ridgeview has a good mix of talent with veterans and youth.  Not sure what internal problems they have but probably has to do with the talented younger group’s parents entitlement and wanting immediate playing time. Frazier/Sutherland need good seasons for success.  If they keep it together they should be second.  Hammonds won’t play there.  She’s good and a great shooter but doesn’t have a good reputation with past teams because of her dad.  She will likely stay in single A for the headlines.

3-5 is a toss up in my opinion.  Many variables involved with these teams.

Gate City has some talent left but took big loss with Thompson. I heard another girl transferred away but not sure.   Ervin is a good player but not enough to carry them to the top.  Will depend on a couple players from the supporting cast stepping up.  If they struggle this year, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Ervin transfer for next year.

Abingdon is very young.  No seniors, only real experience coming back is a sophomore.  They lack size but have some speed and should play scrappy at times.  They do have a really good group of freshmen who have played a lot of travel ball but the season will depend on how they are used and how they can blend with the sophomores and juniors on the team.

Union is typical union.  They have a few girls with talent that have played some travel ball but usually on different teams.  Now they must play together and their season depends on when and if they implode during the season.  The parent culture seems to be tough to deal with there if these message boards/rumor mills are any indication.  Not sure I would want to coach there.  

Battle has some talent with senior Anna McKee and a tall transfer from Holston (I think) but not enough help.  They could upset the middle teams on a good night but not sure they can be consistent enough to finish higher than 6/7.

Lee still struggling to build a competitive program.  I think they may struggle for a win in this district.  

To clear something up, it’s not freshmen or those parents. Just talked to a RV teacher.  He said his attitude and treatment of players. Had to pull up freshmen because he only had 4 girls return and two of those were on the line about it.  Not making it a rumor board just wanted to clear up that about freshmen.  

Gotcha,  I wasn't sure the situation.   I have heard that Frazier had kinda worn out his welcome lately.   It's just a common occurrence when you have a talented group of players coming up for their parents to want immediate playing time.   I have seen this happen at multiple schools over the years.   It has even cost a couple of coaches their jobs before. 

On 11/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, generallyspeaking said:

Abingdon & Union are probably the best boys teams in the district. Could see them trading wins and losses in the regular season but as for the rest of the district it’s a toss up.

i heard today that union has 2 starters out,  one possibly for the season,   the gibson kid at abingdon is not playing this year and that will hurt the falcons a lot

12 hours ago, HM1413 said:

To clear something up, it’s not freshmen or those parents. Just talked to a RV teacher.  He said his attitude and treatment of players. Had to pull up freshmen because he only had 4 girls return and two of those were on the line about it.  Not making it a rumor board just wanted to clear up that about freshmen.  

IDK IMHO Frazer is one of the top coaches in the area The Clintwood program was in Horrible shape when he took over and he built it up to a state championship caliber team Then repeated that in Ridgeviews 1st season since then RV has been consistently one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the region (And given how tough the region is you could argue the state )

All I have to say for anyone wanting to run Frazer off be careful what you wish for because you just might get it

1 hour ago, Counts said:

IDK IMHO Frazer is one of the top coaches in the area The Clintwood program was in Horrible shape when he took over and he built it up to a state championship caliber team Then repeated that in Ridgeviews 1st season since then RV has been consistently one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the region (And given how tough the region is you could argue the state )

All I have to say for anyone wanting to run Frazer off be careful what you wish for because you just might get it

he does a good job.  probably just one or two parents who are made wanting rid of him and trying to make it seem like something that really isnt a big deal. ive been upset with him before also but you cant argue with the success he has had. 

I agree with Frazier being one of the top coaches.  I still hold the opinion that nobody in VA matches Robin Dotson in girls basketball.  I can’t say for sure about Ridgeview but the rumor is that he’s done once his daughter graduates.  Probably succeeded by Sutherland since he’s coached the younger group for some time now.  

On 12/9/2021 at 8:57 AM, HM1413 said:

Girls:  1. Central will be a force.  A quick force.  Dotson’s cool head has always been tough to coach against.  

2.  Abingdon. Williams dishes it out.  She’s  missed at Burton   Go Raiders!!

3 & 4.  RV and Union.   I’m picking Union.   Daughter and friends say RV has major issues with Coach and athletes refusing to play, quitting, and transferring.  If he had kept the Hammonds girl to compliment Sutherland they’d be unstoppable.  Sutherland may be able to lead them out.  
Union has a strong player in Slagale.

Union girls may be dead last.  My niece plays there and they have no true pg or center.  Gonna be a long season.  Watched them play at uva-wise and 1 kid shoots 80% of their shots and shoots under 20%.  

If Union's boys team can get healthy, I think they win the M7 and are the favorites to win the region again. Bunch has been unreal in the first two games against two quality opponents. Playing an extremely tough schedule will only pay dividends down the road.

46 minutes ago, UnionBears said:

If Union's boys team can get healthy, I think they win the M7 and are the favorites to win the region again. Bunch has been unreal in the first two games against two quality opponents. Playing an extremely tough schedule will only pay dividends down the road.

Hes had 30+ PPG and 10+ RPG in both games. I dunno how serious the most recent injury to a starter is, if they get all three back healthy around first of the year and gel before the postseason, Bears are gonna be a tough, tough out again. Gonna be tough for any 2D team to guard Bunch one on one.

5 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Hes had 30+ PPG and 10+ RPG in both games. I dunno how serious the most recent injury to a starter is, if they get all three back healthy around first of the year and gel before the postseason, Bears are gonna be a tough, tough out again. Gonna be tough for any 2D team to guard Bunch one on one.

Damn I knew Honeycutt was out who are the other two

New to the board. I’ve been reading and keeping up for a long time but decided to join finally.

1. Union - Man, Honeycutt has had some bad luck with injuries. Not necessarily a U fan, but you gotta give credit where credit is due to the bears - especially bunch.

2. Abingdon - not having Gibson is gonna hurt them in terms of winning district, but they’ll still be strong  

3/4 RV / GC don’t know enough about them to elaborate 

5.  Lee - Lee has couple good players. Thought they’d do a little better than they have so far though  

2 hours ago, elefan said:

New to the board. I’ve been reading and keeping up for a long time but decided to join finally.

1. Union - Man, Honeycutt has had some bad luck with injuries. Not necessarily a U fan, but you gotta give credit where credit is due to the bears - especially bunch.

2. Abingdon - not having Gibson is gonna hurt them in terms of winning district, but they’ll still be strong  

3/4 RV / GC don’t know enough about them to elaborate 

5.  Lee - Lee has couple good players. Thought they’d do a little better than they have so far though  

Where do you put Battle and Central?

I honestly don't know enough about Battle to say.  I didn't mean to leave off central.  I think they're right above Lee. And when I say right above Lee it's because it's a close one for me.