2021 Arby's Classic

swva_havok_fan

42 minutes ago, UnionBears said:

Union still hasn’t found its way. Very experienced team that doesn’t quit, they could easily be 1-5 but are 4-2. They’re 10-15 points better than Volunteer, I’d say they shot less than 50% from foul line today and probably not 15% from 3. 

They just don’t quit and are still down their PG, when he comes back they could be very good on D with Honeycutt, Bartee and Anderson on the floor together. 

Today was the best I’ve ever seen Reyshawn play. Obviously he hit the buzzer beater but his hustle play to save the ball with a perfect pass to Bunch on the previous possession was a tougher play. Maybe this will spark him?

Will absolutely WALK through the region.  Union will not lose a game to any team in the M7 and they will not lose to any team in the SWD.  They are 20 to 25 points better than the closest 2A team in Region D.  I know there has been talk about Graham as the number 2 best team in the Region.  They might be, but I think RV is slightly better.  Union is 20 to 25 better than both of them.  I haven't seen Richlands or Marion.  Union is way, way head of the rest of the Class 2 competition in the region this year.  Only my opinion, could be wrong, but Union just simply looks a lot better.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Will absolutely WALK through the region.  Union will not lose a game to any team in the M7 and they will not lose to any team in the SWD.  They are 20 to 25 points better than the closest 2A team in Region D.  I know there has been talk about Graham as the number 2 best team in the Region.  They might be, but I think RV is slightly better.  Union is 20 to 25 better than both of them.  I haven't seen Richlands or Marion.  Union is way, way head of the rest of the Class 2 competition in the region this year.  Only my opinion, could be wrong, but Union just simply looks a lot better.

GC beat Volunteer just like Union did, I’m not ready to hand the Bears anything yet. 

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Virginia High is not bad at all

On 12/28/2021 at 3:17 PM, stantheman said:

oak hill has never played in this tourney,   could be that they are private,  not sure though

Pretty sure they have, nearly was upset by Council back in late 90s or early 2000  if I recall correctly. 

14 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Greeneviile takes down Dr. Phillips from Orlando. They were the reigning Florida 7A state champions and have three players going to power 5 schools. Gillespie from Greeneville had 35. Amazing performance from him.

i bet Dr Phillips aint ranked in Top 25 in the country no more after this week,   

10 hours ago, stantheman said:

just watched the union vs bearden game,   union played with no energy what so ever in this game. 

I was there, wasn't exactly low energy as much as so many silly turnovers and couldn't throw a rock inn the ocean. Even with all that, Union didn't get embarrassed

Oak Hill has never played in Arby's, but did play in the Virginia Tip-Off (McDonalds Classic) throughout the 90s. In '92 OHA, led by Jerry Stackhouse and Jeff McInnis, beat John Battle 96-8. That team would go on to win a mythical national title. In '95, Oak Hill beat a scrappy Council team by 9 points in a game that was tight throughout.  

Timing is the primary reason Oak Hill has never played in the Arby's classic. The most prestigious prep tourneys are traditionally held during the holidays (e.g. Reebok Las Vegas Classic, City of Palms FL) and the Warriors would always play in one of those events. Incidentally,  #7 Oak Hill upset #1 IMG Academy this year in the City of Palms Tournament. 

The trust is, Oak Hill will likely never play at Arby's. The recruits want to maximize their opportunities on the biggest stages against the best competition, while Coach Smith wants to compete for national titles.  And both want to do these somewhere warm in December.

On 12/29/2021 at 10:23 AM, stantheman said:

since the beginning of the arby's,  you can count on one hand teams from southwest va that should have been in this tourney and could have gave a good showing,   the only team i saw recently was the GC squad with mcclung, ervin and dean.   after those 3 that team was nowhere near par either.   the southwest va teams are always entered one year past their prime.   

Well it's kinda hard to beat teams that are sending 3 and 4 guys D1 and recruit.  Only reason local teams are invited is for the money at the gates.  Most people in our area aren't gonna watch schools from the Bahamas or Georgia no matter how good they are

16 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Well it's kinda hard to beat teams that are sending 3 and 4 guys D1 and recruit.  Only reason local teams are invited is for the money at the gates.  Most people in our area aren't gonna watch schools from the Bahamas or Georgia no matter how good they are

prob so,  lot of your local tenn schools dont play in it anymore,   in abingdon's defense they were scheduled to play in it last year and covid took that away and it didn't help that ramsey has missed the past few games sick as well

Union's 3 losses, as ranked by Maxpreps, came at the hands of the 8th, 30th, and 33rd overall ranked teams in the state of Tennessee according to Maxpreps.  Sullivan East, ranks as the 40th overall best team in TN according to Maxpreps who Union got the W over.  They got DB ranked 10th in the state. 

On 1/1/2022 at 11:40 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Union's 3 losses, as ranked by Maxpreps, came at the hands of the 8th, 30th, and 33rd overall ranked teams in the state of Tennessee according to Maxpreps.  Sullivan East, ranks as the 40th overall best team in TN according to Maxpreps who Union got the W over.  They got DB ranked 10th in the state. 

We're (D-B) not top 10 overall  I believe, but probably in that 11-15 range.  Now if they're talking about 4A, then yes, D-B is definitely top 10 and maybe top 5.  Where did MaxPreps have Morristown East and Bearden ranked out of curiosity?

Oak Hill coach Steve Smith is a member of my golf club. My brother graduated high school with his son. I have known him for years.

Oak Hill traditionally plays the HoopHall West followed by the City of Palms. Those tournaments feature Montverde, IMG, Sunrise Christian, Isidore Newman, Compass Prep, LaLumiere, Whitney Young, Providence Academy, and Findlay Prep. The Arby's Classic is a solid high school tournament but not the caliber tournament Oak Hill is accustomed to playing. 

3 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Usually Oak Hill is in that.

Not since the advent of the NIBC, which commits Oak Hill to something of a "conference" schedule. 

https://www.oakhillhoops.com/page/show/6673216-schedule

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/11/espn-announces-the-u-s-marines-nibc-series-38-game-schedule-of-newly-formed-elite-high-school-basketball-conference/

19 hours ago, sixcat said:

Ah yeah... I remember that now.

• 6 months later...

A stroll down memory lane.

Marietta (Ga.) Wheeler won the 2002 Arby’s Classic, defeating Mansfield (Ohio) Senior, the fifth winningest basketball program in the Buckeye State, 68-51.

It was a great four-game stretch for Mansfield, which won its first three games by a total of seven points, defeating Rimini (Italy) 62-61; Bristol Tennessee High, 52-49; and Orlando (Fla.) Boone, 72-69.

Two Mansfield players made the all-tournament team—Antonio Graves and Yima Chia-Kur.

Graves went on to play for Jamie Dixon and the Pitt Panthers in the rugged Big East, while Chia-Kur played two years of junior college ball before finishing his career at Arkansas State.

Both players had productive careers playing in Europe after college.

Maryville, Tenn., led by future Florida Gator Lee Humphrey, finished in fourth place.

Two years later, Mansfield Senior achieved a sparkling 24-2 record, losing in the semi-finals of the Division I state championship tournament in Columbus to Canton McKinley, 73-61.

Once a booming, gritty manufacturing town that featured a General Motors stamping plant, a huge Westinghouse appliance plant, a Tappan Stove plant, Mansfield Tire and Rubber, Ohio Brass, an Empire-Detroit steel mill and Borg-Warner plumbing fixture plant, Mansfield is located have way between Cleveland and Columbus.