Graham/Beaver Game

Gridiron60

44 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

random thought but who was the qb from parkersburg or charleston that everyone was saying last year almost went to graham?

Jacqai Long. His father was Jerrald Long that played at WVU and Marshall. Went to play in Akron,Ohio instead.

I know Bluefield fans around town are saying Graham loses by a lot. Freddy may have some secrets he’s held back. If Graham has a 20 penalty game , Bluefield may very well win by a lot. If Graham comes out disciplined & focused, the Beavers may not win by a lot; Graham may take it. I do think Graham will be stronger on the line just from what I’ve seen on film. Both teams have speed. I think Tony Palmer has built a very consistent program and I’d put his coaching staff up against any around here. Bluefield is Bluefield & they’re always tough. I’m just hoping for a good game, no injuries for either team, & a GMen win! 🤞

22 hours ago, FootballFan77 said:

I think it’s going to be a close game. I think Grahams defense is going to be hard on Bluefield’s OL. 

Graham-14

Bluefield-6

Graham's defense will be hard to handle for anybody they play this year.  The lineplay and the running game will be Graham's strength on offense.  The defense is very solid.  If Bluefield can contain the run, they have a chance, if not, it will be a long night for the Beavers.  I believe the Graham defense has the size and speed to contain Bluefield.

34-14 Graham.

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I know Bluefield fans around town are saying Graham loses by a lot. Freddy may have some secrets he’s held back. If Graham has a 20 penalty game , Bluefield may very well win by a lot. If Graham comes out disciplined & focused, the Beavers may not win by a lot; Graham may take it. I do think Graham will be stronger on the line just from what I’ve seen on film. Both teams have speed. I think Tony Palmer has built a very consistent program and I’d put his coaching staff up against any around here. Bluefield is Bluefield & they’re always tough. I’m just hoping for a good game, no injuries for either team, & a GMen win! 🤞

I have heard the talk around Bluefield also, most of the folks saying that Graham will lose by a lot are basing that claim on the fact that Graham lost Bradshaw, Meadows and Blevins.  I have heard that from several people... I think they will be in for a big surprise on Friday night.  Graham's defense appears to be better then early on last season.   The offense needs work in the passing game, but the run-game should be excellent.  Not much of a step back for Graham. They need to develop a consistent backup for Clements, however.  They have a couple of capable guys in the mix in Floyd, Edwards and Huggins.  Although with the good line-play, a decent back will look very good.    They have very good receivers, but they need to get the ball in their hands.  This would be a great time to work on the short and intermediate pass game for Graham, get the QB some confidence throwing the short ball.   This Graham team may be similar to the 95 team that only completed 3 passes that year and won a state title, they didn't need to throw it (I think it was 95) somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

45 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I have heard the talk around Bluefield also, most of the folks saying that Graham will lose by a lot are basing that claim on the fact that Graham lost Bradshaw, Meadows and Blevins.  I have heard that from several people... I think they will be in for a big surprise on Friday night.  Graham's defense appears to be better then early on last season.   The offense needs work in the passing game, but the run-game should be excellent.  Not much of a step back for Graham. They need to develop a consistent backup for Clements, however.  They have a couple of capable guys in the mix in Floyd, Edwards and Huggins.  Although with the good line-play, a decent back will look very good.    They have very good receivers, but they need to get the ball in their hands.  This would be a great time to work on the short and intermediate pass game for Graham, get the QB some confidence throwing the short ball.   This Graham team may be similar to the 95 team that only completed 3 passes that year and won a state title, they didn't need to throw it (I think it was 95) somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I don’t know much about the current G-Men, but yes I believe it was 1995. I believe Easley, Banks, and Byard were the 3 backs in the wishbone. I remember watching them play William Campbell if not mistaken. Score was something like 7-3?

I believe this was the state semifinals at Mitchell stadium.

Edited by tornado99
Clarification

24 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I don’t know much about the current G-Men, but yes I believe it was 1995. I believe Easley, Banks, and Byard were the 3 backs in the wishbone. I remember watching them play William Campbell if not mistaken. Score was something like 7-3?

7-6 was the score,of that game, I think.  You may be right... I remember watching that one..  Both teams had a TD called back in that one.  Fun one to watch.

5 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I remember reading in the Bluefield Daily that the Graham of 95 did not throw a single pass in the playoffs. I like it!!! Very Giles like.

Fun team to watch.  I love it when Giles has a good team and has that single wing working, they are fun to watch.  They play keep away and drive the ball down the field and run out the clock.  I used to hate it when cheering for the opposing team, but thinking back on it, they were a well oiled machine for many seasons and very difficult to beat with that style of play.  I watched them against Powhatan in 96? on one of the muddiest fields I have ever seen.  I thought they got a raw deal in that game, it was basically played in a mud bowl, everybody sliding around.  If not mistaken, the game was played in Midlothian, not positive about that, my memory is fading.  Or was it against Midlothian in Powhatan...lol.

SWD fans have talked some about the Graham short/intermediate passing game.  I touched on this last year, and wondered what the deal was with all the flag and post routes. I noticed this against with GC. Here's the danger for Graham (if there is one).

Look back 4 years. A Div 1 commit has been on the field at either QB or WR or both. Allen, Lester, Bradshaw,  Graham could out-athlete teams with the flag and fly routes. It might be different this year. A new QB, maybe not quite as accurate and not as mobile as the previous 3. It is all the time in the world, if ever, to insert short and intermediate routes into the pass route design to give the QB confidence, and play to the skillset of I'm sure great receivers, but not Div 1 receivers. 

This hurt Graham in the title game. No question, Blevins a big loss for that game, but KW had the athletes where Graham wasn't going to out fly or flag route route them with deep balls. A wounded QB with a broken lower leg should have had more short and intermediate route options in that game and they were NOT there. Look at Graham and Appo. Graham didn't out deep ball them either. They gashed Appo on the ground, but even Appo did a good job at taking away Grahams deep ball. 

I'm interested to see if Graham's O staff inserts those routes into their offense because they haven't been there very much the past 4 or 5 years imo. Also, if you have an OL that powerful, it may serve as advantage to bring 1 or 2 more WRs into the offensive box, and letting the RB have an extra lead blocker instead of "sweep type handoffs around the end without a lead blocker."  Just my take, but I mention this because other SWD fans brought up the Graham pass situation a few times already this year.

Only my opinions above. 99 percent of other Class 2 teams would be happy to have Graham's issue. 

14 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Fun team to watch.  I love it when Giles has a good team and has that single wing working, they are fun to watch.  They play keep away and drive the ball down the field and run out the clock.  I used to hate it when cheering for the opposing team, but thinking back on it, they were a well oiled machine for many seasons and very difficult to beat with that style of play.  I watched them against Powhatan in 96? on one of the muddiest fields I have ever seen.  I thought they got a raw deal in that game, it was basically played in a mud bowl, everybody sliding around.  If not mistaken, the game was played in Midlothian, not positive about that, my memory is fading.  Or was it against Midlothian in Powhatan...lol.

96, versus Powhatan at Midlothian.

44 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

SWD fans have talked some about the Graham short/intermediate passing game.  I touched on this last year, and wondered what the deal was with all the flag and post routes. I noticed this against with GC. Here's the danger for Graham (if there is one).

Look back 4 years. A Div 1 commit has been on the field at either QB or WR or both. Allen, Lester, Bradshaw,  Graham could out-athlete teams with the flag and fly routes. It might be different this year. A new QB, maybe not quite as accurate and not as mobile as the previous 3. It is all the time in the world, if ever, to insert short and intermediate routes into the pass route design to give the QB confidence, and play to the skillset of I'm sure great receivers, but not Div 1 receivers. 

This hurt Graham in the title game. No question, Blevins a big loss for that game, but KW had the athletes where Graham wasn't going to out fly or flag route route them with deep balls. A wounded QB with a broken lower leg should have had more short and intermediate route options in that game and they were NOT there. Look at Graham and Appo. Graham didn't out deep ball them either. They gashed Appo on the ground, but even Appo did a good job at taking away Grahams deep ball. 

I'm interested to see if Graham's O staff inserts those routes into their offense because they haven't been there very much the past 4 or 5 years imo. Also, if you have an OL that powerful, it may serve as advantage to bring 1 or 2 more WRs into the offensive box, and letting the RB have an extra lead blocker instead of "sweep type handoffs around the end without a lead blocker."  Just my take, but I mention this because other SWD fans brought up the Graham pass situation a few times already this year.

Only my opinions above. 99 percent of other Class 2 teams would be happy to have Graham's issue. 

Agree 100 %.  I've wondered since 2001 when Graham was throwing the deep ball in the rain against Harrisonburg in the title game, why they weren't trying to get their playmakers (Oakes, Bradshaw and Jones at the time) the ball in space with short curls or slants.  Harrisonburg neutralized the run pretty well by hitting the Graham offensive linemen low and allowing their linebackers to come up and make plays.  A few passes over those linebackers may have curtailed that a little bit.  You need a short and intermediate passing game or when you come up against other athletic teams, they will take away those deep passes and make you one dimensional. 

Bluefield will have an athletic QB and some speedy receivers.  They have talked about trying to get their players into space on TV when interviewed already.  I wouldn't doubt that it  woud be Bluefield's plan to beat Graham by getting the ball behind an overly agressive defense and make them pay with their speed in the open field, it could happen.  Graham needs to watch over pursuing that Quarterback because he is an athlete and he will be able to buy time and find the open man.  I'm starting to doubt my prediction of a Graham win now, Good Grief.  An athletic quarterback poses a lot of problems.

11 hours ago, tornado99 said:

One of my best friends was on that Graham team. I joke with him that I'm not sure Graham wins that title had Byard not transferred from Bluefield. I think Byard set a Graham season record for punt return TDs. Graham was damn good that year. They were down 20-0 to Bluefield and came back to win it 26-20 if I remember correctly. 

Other than not being able to throw the ball, I don't see the comparison between these two teams. That 95 team played angry. Outside of this year's D line show me someone that will come up and hit like Banks did. I know this is going to be a very unpopular opinion but I just dont see it yet. Not saying they can't come together and do well but right now I don't see it. I hope @Real Sasquatch and @BandanaVTDavis4321 comes back in a few weeks and tells me I'm wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Other than not being able to throw the ball, I don't see the comparison between these two teams. That 95 team played angry. Outside of this year's D line show me someone that will come up and hit like Banks did. I know this is going to be a very unpopular opinion but I just dont see it yet. Not saying they can't come together and do well but right now I don't see it. I hope @Real Sasquatch and @BandanaVTDavis4321 comes back in a few weeks and tells me I'm wrong. 

It may go the other way Mountain Football. I may be the one that's wrong and me coming back in a couple weeks and telling you I was wrong (which happens a lot). 

Good luck to both schools. 

7 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

We will see.  I'm just saying they may be similar because they may not throw it much, but who knows.

1978-1979, Back to Back for Graham over Bluefield and also Back to Back over Bluefield in the years of

1989-1990

2001-2002

2005-2006

From 1978, roughly every 11 or 12 yrs, Graham pulls a Back to Back. 2005-06 came early. It's been 16 or 17 years now.  It would crazy to predict a winner based on the above, but I'm just saying they are due.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

1978-1979, Back to Back for Graham over Bluefield and also Back to Back over Bluefield in the years of

1989-1990

2001-2002

2005-2006

From 1978, roughly every 11 or 12 yrs, Graham pulls a Back to Back. 2005-06 came early. It's been 16 or 17 years now.  It would crazy to predict a winner based on the above, but I'm just saying they are due.

Crazy to think the last time we went back to back against Bluefield was when I was a Freshman/Sophomore. 🤯