Week 5 Scores & Updates

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Why was this game played on Saturday? Giles coaches decide VT games are more important than the high school games they coach?

If so, I can easily see that being a huge distraction. 

Well, one of Graham’s former head coaches decided that a UNC game was far more important than gate revenue his team would earn for hosting a home game…so not terribly farfetched.

17 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Well, one of Graham’s former head coaches decided that a UNC game was far more important than gate revenue his team would earn for hosting a home game…so not terribly farfetched.

Wow. For real? Wouldn’t the AD have a say in that?

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Why was this game played on Saturday? Giles coaches decide VT games are more important than the high school games they coach?

If so, I can easily see that being a huge distraction. 

Some of the Fort guys told me it was because of official shortage but IDK how accurate that is

48 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Explain this

I figured you were around back then?? 

He wanted to watch his kid “play” a game for UNC so he gave up the home game to move it and be able to go watch that game. (I think it was a Thursday night game and Bluefield had a home game). 

One of y’all Graham fans correct me if I’m wrong.

9 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

He wanted to watch his kid “play” a game for UNC so he gave up the home game to move it and be able to go watch that game. (I think it was a Thursday night game and Bluefield had a home game). 

I was probably around bur just forgot it...still have no idea lol

1 hour ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Some of the Fort guys told me it was because of official shortage but IDK how accurate that is

Fort Chiswell principal told me this game was to be played on Thursday. Giles coaching staff would have to miss the VT game so they successfully got it moved to Saturday.

Thats twice so far this season Giles coaches have moved a game for VT football. Seems to me that could be a distraction. 

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

Fort Chiswell principal told me this game was to be played on Thursday. Giles coaching staff would have to miss the VT game so they successfully got it moved to Saturday.

Thats twice so far this season Giles coaches have moved a game for VT football. Seems to me that could be a distraction. 

I was thinking Galax and Giles both wanted their game moved to Thursday because of the Tech game on Friday?

1 minute ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I was thinking Galax and Giles both wanted their game moved to Thursday because of the Tech game on Friday?

That could be true but it’s not what the superintendent, two principals, two members of school board and a city council member told me. 

10 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I wonder why Friday wasn’t an option. Referee shortage?

9 minutes ago, sixcat said:

That could be true but it’s not what the superintendent, two principals, two members of school board and a city council member told me. 

Gotcha I was thinking you said in Galax vs Giles thread the band director told you that Galax coach's had been invited to VA Tech game and Giles coaches were season ticket holders and they both wanted it moved.

4 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I wonder why Friday wasn’t an option. Referee shortage?

That’s what I was told. Originally scheduled for Thursday because of the referee shortage then moved to Saturday because of the VT game. 

Again, I don’t know for sure. Just passing along information I’ve overheard through conversation with people who would know more than me. 

Just now, MT FAN 91 said:

Gotcha I was thinking you said in Galax vs Giles thread the band director told you that Galax coach's had been invited to VA Tech game and Giles coaches were season ticket holders and they both wanted it moved.

The band director did tell me that the night of the game. But I’ve since had conversations with those mentioned who verify what the director said. 

Regardless of why the game was Saturday, how did Giles conduct practice on Thursday if the coaches were in Blacksburg?  Routine is vital, especially when dealing with 16 year old kids. It just seems like it would be a massive distraction and could help explain the lackluster performance Saturday. 

Edit to add; and as others have pointed out, The Fort is virtually unbeatable on Saturdays in September/October. 

41 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Regardless of why the game was Saturday, how did Giles conduct practice on Thursday if the coaches were in Blacksburg?  Routine is vital, especially when dealing with 16 year old kids. It just seems like it would be a massive distraction and could help explain the lackluster performance Saturday. 

Edit to add; and as others have pointed out, The Fort is virtually unbeatable on Saturdays in September/October. 

Can’t say for sure but they let school out early Thursday and they didn’t have school at all Friday so Wednesday may have been the last actual Practice they had. They may have done a walkthrough Friday but I’m just not sure.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

This is correct.  His son was 2nd string long snapper and didn’t even see the field in that game.  Gave up thousands in gate revenue for it, too.  

And he double-dipped as the AD, with one of his best friends manning the principal’s chair.  So there was essentially no recourse.