Union @ Ridgeview

TaterHater

4 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Put me down for $50 and Ridgeview with the -7.5

If you love penalty flags, this was the game for you. Union couldn’t stop with the personal fouls and RV couldn’t get lined up on offense correctly. 

Just now, Wolf1207 said:

If you love penalty flags, this was the game for you. Union couldn’t stop with the personal fouls and RV couldn’t get lined up on offense correctly. 

Yeah from the games I’ve seen this year I’m not impressed with anyone.  I thought Graham and Ridgeview had a shot at state early in season but it’s not looking good for this end of state. Hopefully someone here can step up 

After tonight, RV just needs to turn O’Quinn loose.  I thought the pack was going to participate in the whole 1st half tonight based on the first drive. Then the predictable stuff and the endless false starts began.  How do you have that many in one game at this point in the season?
Union and Central should be a good game when they play next week.  RV may go undefeated depending on how the trips to Abingdon and Bluefield go. 

27 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Yeah from the games I’ve seen this year I’m not impressed with anyone.  I thought Graham and Ridgeview had a shot at state early in season but it’s not looking good for this end of state. Hopefully someone here can step up 

I agree. Other than Radford I don't see a dominant team this way.

Outside of the 3 man front on the first drive that basically gave RV a free TD, I thought the play calling and game plan were pretty decent tonight, all things considered. However, all of the personal fouls, play clock and timeout management remain unacceptable. 

20 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I agree. Other than Radford I don't see a dominant team this way.

Agreed I would be shocked if radford isn’t in state championship game but Graham or Ridgeview could upset them on any given day. Gate city has been most impressive team I’ve seen Union play up to now 

I’ll give credit where credit is due.  The play call on the half back pass for the TD was a nice play call.  Calls in the first half were somewhat questionable, but overall I feel like this was a much better week from the offensive standpoint.   

Where to start...

The first few minutes was more like a MMA match than a football game.

Undisciplined penalties for both teams throughout the game.

Union did a very good job at limiting the pass and runs between the tackles, but let the QB run around the end for however many yards were needed on 3rd down.

Bears found a rhythm running out of the T, but either got holding penalties or just went away from it for no reason.

Some head scratching play calling once again for Union. Obviously, the 2 people in the booth are seeing things the hundreds of people in the stands can't. 🙄

I was pleasantly surprised to see some good passing tonight. Guess they found those missing pages from the playbook.

I think Union had opportunities to take control of this game, which is a plus, but blew every single one of them.

Ridgeview will need to get a little better on the line and quit trying to throw the home run ball every possession if they want to make it to Salem. With the athletes they have, they could march up and down the field with a more deliberate and focused short/intermediate passing game mixed in with some QB keepers.

Speaking of QB keepers. O'Quinn saved this game for them with his legs. Sooo many 3rd and long pick-ups for him tonight.

Congratulations Wolfpack, great game tonight!

Well once again the freshman stole the show. Our OL was pitiful had one blocker #52.

They had all seniors and one sophomore and I believe player placement could have been better. Still have some not off injured list

But the play calling was a little better but our DC still seemed lost. Go back at next week boys.

13 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Lose to RV, Central and Abingdon and I’m not sure you make the playoffs. 

The cake is pretty well already baked as to the playoff participants.  In an 11-team region, with 8 making it, it’s fairly safe to assume that Battle, Richlands, and Marion will likely be staying home.  

Graham and Ridgeview will be 1-2.

3-8 is a mess.

Ridgeview cannot get out it’s own way.  I have no idea how many penalties they finished with but I believe they had five in one drive alone. I’m guessing I saw a different game than some of the others.  Ridgeview’s defense played well against what I felt was a pretty good game plan from Union.  Union showed way more creativity on offense than did RV.  Yes, I said that…..much more misdirection and mixed in the pass well.  RV’s passing game has taken a big step back as they still insist on throwing deep into double coverage and haven’t figured out that they have 8-10 yards all damn day whenever they want it. 
Once again…no flow.  When they weren’t shooting theirselves in the foot they moved the ball well.  Union converted on numerous 3rd and longs to get their scores.  RV has to find ways to get off the field there.  
As for Union having a chance to control the game…..I didn’t see that.  RV punted twice and Union punted 4-5 times.  I’ll have to go back and look and see how many times the Bears made into the red zone. The Bears struggled with O’Quinn running.  
This was a solid win for RV especially with Beavers getting no touches and relatively little contribution from the passing game.

2 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

After tonight, RV just needs to turn O’Quinn loose.  I thought the pack was going to participate in the whole 1st half tonight based on the first drive. Then the predictable stuff and the endless false starts began.  How do you have that many in one game at this point in the season?
Union and Central should be a good game when they play next week.  RV may go undefeated depending on how the trips to Abingdon and Bluefield go. 

You're forgetting the trip to Legion Field in the regular season finale... I'm more worried for that one than I am the other two you mentioned...

With the way Haysi got shafted at Tug Valley that one year and the way that Richlands folks talk about WV officials every time they play Bluefield at Mitchell, the Beavers already lead that game with Ridgeview 14-0 and the game doesn't even kickoff for three more weeks so that one worries me a little too, but Gate City moreso.

1 hour ago, Backpack said:

I’ll give credit where credit is due.  The play call on the half back pass for the TD was a nice play call.  Calls in the first half were somewhat questionable, but overall I feel like this was a much better week from the offensive standpoint.   

Yes it was. 

I've never personally been part of  a team or seen a team with such discipline issues on a weekly basis.  You've got veterans on the field getting 15 yard penalties for stupid things.  That does fall on the coaching.  Pull them out! Let them sit a quarter,  then the rest of the game if need be.  Starter or not,  teach them how to respect the game,  opponents, teammates, and themselves. It's not a good look and is shamefully tolerated.  Good game,  minus the chippy bull crap.  I thought everyone saved that for wise? Bahahaha good luck the rest of the way. Playoff pairings are going to be very interesting now. 

32 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I've never personally been part of  a team or seen a team with such discipline issues on a weekly basis.  You've got veterans on the field getting 15 yard penalties for stupid things.  That does fall on the coaching.  Pull them out! Let them sit a quarter,  then the rest of the game if need be.  Starter or not,  teach them how to respect the game,  opponents, teammates, and themselves. It's not a good look and is shamefully tolerated.  Good game,  minus the chippy bull crap.  I thought everyone saved that for wise? Bahahaha good luck the rest of the way. Playoff pairings are going to be very interesting now. 

There was a lot of trash talking and the Ridgeview coaches said point blank that they asked the refs to handle all the cursing and name calling coming from the Union players and sidelines.  RV has a couple hotheads but there was a lot of gesturing and extra curricular activities from the Bears.  More than I remember seeing before.  There were also some really close late hits that didn’t get flagged and could have been additional penalties.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

You're forgetting the trip to Legion Field in the regular season finale... I'm more worried for that one than I am the other two you mentioned...

With the way Haysi got shafted at Tug Valley that one year and the way that Richlands folks talk about WV officials every time they play Bluefield at Mitchell, the Beavers already lead that game with Ridgeview 14-0 and the game doesn't even kickoff for three more weeks so that one worries me a little too, but Gate City moreso.

You are definitely correct about Gate City.  I did like Ridgeview’s run defense tonight. Other than the long td it held up pretty well.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Ridgeview cannot get out it’s own way.  I have no idea how many penalties they finished with but I believe they had five in one drive alone. I’m guessing I saw a different game than some of the others.  Ridgeview’s defense played well against what I felt was a pretty good game plan from Union.  Union showed way more creativity on offense than did RV.  Yes, I said that…..much more misdirection and mixed in the pass well.  RV’s passing game has taken a big step back as they still insist on throwing deep into double coverage and haven’t figured out that they have 8-10 yards all damn day whenever they want it. 
Once again…no flow.  When they weren’t shooting theirselves in the foot they moved the ball well.  Union converted on numerous 3rd and longs to get their scores.  RV has to find ways to get off the field there.  
As for Union having a chance to control the game…..I didn’t see that.  RV punted once and Union punted 4-5 times.  I’ll have to go back and look and see how many times the Bears made into the red zone. The Bears struggled with O’Quinn running.  
This was a solid win for RV especially with Beavers getting no touches and relatively little contribution from the passing game.

RV first drive of the game good, and then the rest of the half it looked like the first day of practice.  I don’t get all the deep balls either. Especially, when they would run a screen or short pass it seemed to be a big gainer.  Union was conceding the short passes. 
This is 2 years in a row where RV has slow first halves of games just to turn it on in the second. 
This should have been a 3 score win without all the mistakes. No way it should have been competitive in the 4th quarter. 

8 hours ago, Packman said:

May have been the best all around game i have seen Cannon Hill play.  I thought after the first half of flags that it was a hard nose good game.  For Union to be playing i think 3 freshman they held there own.  

2, 4, 7, and 28 are all freshmen. They played really well. I think there was another that was in on a few plays too.

And Cannon Hill is a stud.

2 hours ago, Observer said:

RV has to find ways to get the ball in Beavers hands besides the deep ball. 

After tonight two things are obvious:  they don’t know how and they don’t really seem to try.  They do nothing for the kid.  Glad to see a few shorter routes on the second half to Counts and Honaker.  I think those were all completions.

4 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

After tonight two things are obvious:  they don’t know how and they don’t really seem to try.  They do nothing for the kid.  Glad to see a few shorter routes on the second half to Counts and Honaker.  I think those were all completions.

Agree.  I watched this one this morning.  Absolute pathetic and pis*poor job at getting the best athlete on the field the ball.  I've watched this about 3 times now with Ridgeview for this season and last season and it is openly noticeable.   Brandon Beavers needs the ball in his hands no less than 16 times per game, and I would shoot for 16 (4 times per quarter) at a minimum.

33 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I forgot to mention this. But the music selection by the p.a. folks was good. But please quit playing that puke orange “Rocky Top.” 

It's a mental torture device. Makes me feel like Daryll listening to that same song stuck in a box, walking dead.  Glad i have the option to mute on nfhs. Bahahaha