Central @ Union

UnionFan101

51 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

You do realize that Ridgeview doesn't use the beavers kid they way they need too as well. Just straight deep balls for him. He is an excellent athlete which calls for slants deep outs in routes. Get him the ball in space. In my opinion you run a 4-3 or a 5-2 against Ridgeview with 2 high safeties and the ability to stop O'Quinn from killing you on 3rd and long with his legs.

About 98% of Dickinson County understands that.  😂. I think the other teams now realize that RV doesn’t understand how to deploy him but still game plan for him.  Kid would have 100 receptions and 1500 yards at Tazewell or Lee, at RV he’s got about 20 catches.  
You’d have to go at least a Cover 2 against them.  All four WRs can catch and run.  RV should be punishing the hell out of people for doubling and tripling any one player and I thought Union did well basically playing 8 on 10 ball. 
You nailed it with O’Quinn.  He adds so much pressure to a defense via his feet.  If RV were ever to be smart enough to I roll him out and design plays to give him a flood look and the option to run or throw it would make life miserable for LBs and DBs.

Was referring to a running team. Every year central beats us it's on the ground. Couple year ago that Noah Bolling destroyed us right up the middle. In theory that 3 5 defense will work if you have line backers to engage and meet the ball in the hole. But it doesn't seem to happen for Union.

9 minutes ago, Dawg pride said:

Was referring to a running team. Every year central beats us it's on the ground. Couple year ago that Noah Bolling destroyed us right up the middle. In theory that 3 5 defense will work if you have line backers to engage and meet the ball in the hole. But it doesn't seem to happen for Union.

That offense was tougher to defend than their current offense, and yes, you definitely need 9 in the box against that look.  Very frustrating to play against

38 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Seriously?!? That's coaching malpractice.

Yeppers!  According to his stats on his Twitter profile …22 for 490 and 6 TDs through 6 games.  All the kids keep their stats up to date.  

8 hours ago, Dawg pride said:

Swarming-53-Defense-Playbook-1.jpg.8f4b784e394d5c534d4e0ebf7df7d686.jpg

FORCES DOUBLE TEAM ON DL OPENS UP LB WAY MORE EFFICIENT 

A Odd front is a Odd front, doesn't matter if its a 5-3 or a 3-5, 5-2 or 3-4, its the same thing. The only difference is who the defense uses as adjusters the L/R or the Es. 

Edwards ran the exact same defensive look you're advocating for vs RV for a lot of the night, when RV was in their tighter sets(2 Wings and the WRs in close) the Union Defense looked almost exactly like the diagram you posted, when they were 4 wide it looked like a 3-3 because the Es (overhang stand-up LBs) flexed out with the slot WRs.

Alignments doesn't force the Offense to double team defenders, player ability does.

7 hours ago, Dawg01 said:

In my opinion you run a 4-3 or a 5-2 against Ridgeview with 2 high safeties and the ability to stop O'Quinn from killing you on 3rd and long with his legs.

Yes, a 7 man box would have helped to stop O'Quinn from getting those key 3rd down runs on scrambles, but he was scrambling because Union dropped 5 into coverage and no one was open. Play RV 1 on 1 and see what happens, they've got the best WR corp in 2D imo, maybe in the 2D and 2C. I wouldn't single cover those guys.

6 hours ago, redtiger said:

A Odd front is a Odd front, doesn't matter if its a 5-3 or a 3-5, 5-2 or 3-4, its the same thing. The only difference is who the defense uses as adjusters the L/R or the Es. 

Edwards ran the exact same defensive look you're advocating for vs RV for a lot of the night, when RV was in their tighter sets(2 Wings and the WRs in close) the Union Defense looked almost exactly like the diagram you posted, when they were 4 wide it looked like a 3-3 because the Es (overhang stand-up LBs) flexed out with the slot WRs.

Alignments doesn't force the Offense to double team defenders, player ability does.

Yes, a 7 man box would have helped to stop O'Quinn from getting those key 3rd down runs on scrambles, but he was scrambling because Union dropped 5 into coverage and no one was open. Play RV 1 on 1 and see what happens, they've got the best WR corp in 2D imo, maybe in the 2D and 2C. I wouldn't single cover those guys.

Union had the right looks for most of the night on defense. The problem came down to poor execution. You've got to stay at home and make tackles, plan and simple.   

6 hours ago, redtiger said:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I have seen serval teams play a "5-2" or just a straight up bear front against spread teams in the past. (Tazewell and Lebanon come to mind) That is all fine and dandy IF you have the athletes in the back in to out cover in man coverage all game. Tazewell got away with it some because they could match up with most team but Lebanon not so much. 

Im sure there are a few DCs that think "we can man them up and put 7 in the box and win" while that is true if you are better but when you run up against a team that has the ability to throw the ball you just wasted 48 minutes that you kids could have got better at getting run pass reads and working on a zone drop. 

If you are playing run heavy teams like Union of Central than sure load that sucker up and play to win. But the selling out 7 guys to stop the run against weaker opponents usually leads to early playoff exits. 

Whatever happened to simple cover 1, 2, 3? Very seldom do you see communication between db's and lb's and rotating within a zone just to give qb a different look between man and zone schemes.  I don't believe anyone in the viewing area has the manpower to straight man up against a good team that airs it out. 

54 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Whatever happened to simple cover 1, 2, 3? Very seldom do you see communication between db's and lb's and rotating within a zone just to give qb a different look between man and zone schemes.  I don't believe anyone in the viewing area has the manpower to straight man up against a good team that airs it out. 

Most teams around here run some sort of cover 4 or match quarters. Cover 3 and Cover 2 have almost become a thing of the past because every team has 4 verts in the playbook and that eats up those 2 coverages. 3-3 stack teams will play some cover 3 but you better have a dang good FS that can cover some ground

I think Union win this one 35 - 14

IMHO Unions only head scratcher loss was to GateCity and that one I mark up to 3 things

(1)GC being better than expected 

(2) The Graham Loss hangover playing head games with Union

(3) Unions Time chewing Offence which is great when it keeps you in games that you should not be in but Bad when it keeps lesser team in the game with you.

I think Union is 21 points better than Central 

I think Union finishes 7-3

I think Union will be a really tough out for anyone in the playoffs

2 hours ago, Counts said:

I think Union win this one 35 - 14

IMHO Unions only head scratcher loss was to GateCity and that one I mark up to 3 things

(1)GC being better than expected 

(2) The Graham Loss hangover playing head games with Union

(3) Unions Time chewing Offence which is great when it keeps you in games that you should not be in but Bad when it keeps lesser team in the game with you.

I think Union is 21 points better than Central 

I think Union finishes 7-3

I think Union will be a really tough out for anyone in the playoffs

I hope you're right but Union has struggled against Wise in recent years and they may not be as motivated as they need to be since now they're out of the M7 race and the race for two home playoff games. If they come out flat and get behind two scores, it could be a long night. If Union comes out hot and ready to execute, they are prob the better overall team but its not a big enough gap for Union to play sloppy, undisciplined football and win  

8 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I hope you're right but Union has struggled against Wise in recent years and they may not be as motivated as they need to be since now they're out of the M7 race and the race for two home playoff games. If they come out flat and get behind two scores, it could be a long night. If Union comes out hot and ready to execute, they are prob the better overall team but its not a big enough gap for Union to play sloppy, undisciplined football and win  

Never need motivation to want to beat that Red/Silver/Black 

Everyone struggled with Wise the last few years it had less to do with Union and more to do with Central having a really good team.

Wise IS NOT as good as they have been the last several years (don't take me wrong they are are not a bad team but defiantly not one that should cause any issues for Union)

Union is better on the Line and has more athletes so long as Union does not allow this game to become one in which passions are limited to 5 per team then I think Union wins easily however if the game is shortened by one or both teams Central's chances get better

8 minutes ago, Counts said:

Everyone struggled with Wise the last few years it had less to do with Union and more to do with Central having a really good team.

Wise IS NOT as good as they have been the last several years (don't take me wrong they are are not a bad team but defiantly not one that should cause any issues for Union)

Union is better on the Line and has more athletes so long as Union does not allow this game to become one in which passions are limited to 5 per team then I think Union wins easily however if the game is shortened by one or both teams Central's chances get better

That's true, Central has gotten hit hard by graduation and coaching turnover. Union didn't have the DREAM TEAM that Wise has (and won zero 2D titles lol) but produces talent more regularly. 

But we better enjoy it now, Wise has a couple classes coming up that will win state titles in football, basketball and baseball. Don't believe me? Just ask them lololol

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

That's true, Central has gotten hit hard by graduation and coaching turnover. Union didn't have the DREAM TEAM that Wise has (and won zero 2D titles lol) but produces talent more regularly. 

But we better enjoy it now, Wise has a couple classes coming up that will win state titles in football, basketball and baseball. Don't believe me? Just ask them lololol

Hey now you just wait till that 3rd and 4th grade class gets to high school. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Football you misspelled girls basketball 

Central was a little better than I expected. Penalties, once again, almost derailed the Bears. Defense played well except for the uncovered receivers that led to Warrior TDs. Those were big whoopsies.

Some of the offensive play calling was head scratching, but overall better than last week.

I look forward to seeing the stats for this game.