Ridgeview vs Union

Semi-Finals

Graham vs Union

Virginia High vs Tazewell

Championship Game

Tazewell vs Union

Champion

Tazewell Bulldogs

You are better at writing fantasy than George R. Martin and J. R. R. Tolkien combined.

1 hour ago, SamJackson said:

Round 1

Graham vs Richlands

Gate City vs Tazewell

Virginia High vs Lee

Ridgeview vs Union

Semi-Finals

Graham vs Union

Championship Game

Tazewell vs Union

Champion

Tazewell Bulldogs

This.  I like this.

But in all reality, this isn't altogether insane.  Sure, it would be a shock if Graham lost, but Union matches up better with Graham than anyone else in the Region.  Would it be THAT preposterous for Union to beat Graham?  As for the other side of the bracket, would it really shock anyone for any of the 2-3-6-7 combo (for example above, GC, Lee, VHS, and Tazewell) to make it to the Region finals?  If Union gets stuck in that 4-5 game, the other side of the bracket is wide open for anyone to take.  All of them are good teams, none unbeatable, all with pretty significant flaws.  It's going to be a fun postseason.

1 hour ago, SamJackson said:

Round 1

Graham vs Richlands

Gate City vs Tazewell

Virginia High vs Lee

Ridgeview vs Union

Semi-Finals

Graham vs Union

Championship Game

Tazewell vs Union

Champion

Tazewell Bulldogs

Tazewell administration wouldn't take kindly to your trolling on social media during class @SamJackson

The way Gate City is playing right now they are going to be a tough out in the playoff now if they pull off the win against Ridgeview they wouldnt play Tazewell but for arguments sake lets say they do match up. I think Tazewell would have a tough time with the blue devils on the road. 

IF they where to get past Gate City and have a rematch with VA high. Honestly those rematches usually dont work out for the winning team of the first game. I have also seen both VA high and Tazewell play the last 2 weeks. I think VA high is the more complete team with the best player on the field in Brody Jones. Not saying I think Jones is that much better than Harris but he is in a better position to take over a game.

I can see a path for Union beating Graham even though I havnt seen Union all year and I have seen Graham but crazy things happen with those two teams in the playoffs

So IF Tazewell Union is the Region Championship then that might be the best case out of any of the games I have talked about before. Tazewells passing strength matches up really well with Unions lack of passing defense. BUT play off games are won by running that rock in the cold and Union does that better than anyone.

It is good to dream Mr Jackson and thanks for the post should spark a lot of good reading over the next few days

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Tazewell administration wouldn't take kindly to your trolling on social media during class @SamJackson

Wait what? First , people wanting to brawl at the announcer’s box. Then, Hard Hitter is really Jollay and now SamJacksob works for TCPS? What’s next? 😂😂😂😂 Crazy happenings on this board these days! 😂😂😂😂 Speaking of crazy have y’all seen the Glenvar roster on Maxpreps? 😂😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Jags52 said:

The way Gate City is playing right now they are going to be a tough out in the playoff now if they pull off the win against Ridgeview they wouldnt play Tazewell but for arguments sake lets say they do match up. I think Tazewell would have a tough time with the blue devils on the road. 

IF they where to get past Gate City and have a rematch with VA high. Honestly those rematches usually dont work out for the winning team of the first game. I have also seen both VA high and Tazewell play the last 2 weeks. I think VA high is the more complete team with the best player on the field in Brody Jones. Not saying I think Jones is that much better than Harris but he is in a better position to take over a game.

I can see a path for Union beating Graham even though I havnt seen Union all year and I have seen Graham but crazy things happen with those two teams in the playoffs

So IF Tazewell Union is the Region Championship then that might be the best case out of any of the games I have talked about before. Tazewells passing strength matches up really well with Unions lack of passing defense. BUT play off games are won by running that rock in the cold and Union does that better than anyone.

It is good to dream Mr Jackson and thanks for the post should spark a lot of good reading over the next few days

The only truly impressive win Gate City has had in that stretch is the Union game (which was at home, FWIW).  Gate City just last week played Central, a 3-7 team that is going to miss the playoffs, to a 21-14 game.  One of those games was a 35-28 win over a Marion team that is lucky to be 1-9.  I think Houseright has come the closest by far of any coach in SWVA to maxing out the results of his team given the talent level they possess.  That's not a criticism at all, and in fact should be taken as a pretty high compliment.  SWVA football is better when GC is competitive like this.  But that's not the profile of a team that makes a lot of noise in November.

I know you've been high on Virginia High this year, but I continue to disagree with the value you put on Brody Jones.  I've seen Virginia High play.  They got punched in the mouth and folded like a cheap tent.  They've played just 2 other reasonably good teams the entire season.  A short-handed Graham more than doubled them up, but they did pretty well against an OK-ish Patrick Henry team.  Again, that's not the kind of team I'm putting much faith in come November.  

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Wait what? First , people wanting to brawl at the announcer’s box. Then, Hard Hitter is really Jollay and now SamJacksob works for TCPS? What’s next? 😂😂😂😂 Crazy happenings on this board these days! 😂😂😂😂 Speaking of crazy have y’all seen the Glenvar roster on Maxpreps? 😂😂😂😂

Nobody was really gonna brawl in the press box

18 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Where I think you are off some, but respect your opinion on the matchups is...

Graham vs Richlands ,Gate City vs Tazewell, Virginia High vs Lee, Ridgeview vs Union

You predicted Union to beat Graham in round two.  I don't think Union vs Graham is possible in round 2, BASED on how you predicted the teams will be seeded in round 1.

For example.  Graham is the 1 seed, so in order to play Union in round 2, Union would have to be the 4th or 5th seed (very possible) but if this were the case you did predict Ridgeview playing Union in game 1 of the playoffs, so if Union is the 4 or 5, that would mean Ridgeview would have to be the 4th or 5th seed.  Ridgeview can't be the 4th seed.  The lowest they can be is the 3.  Even if Gate City beats Ridgeview and both finish 8-2, Ridgeview will outpoint them even if EVERYTHING went Gate City's way with opponents played this weekend and even if Everything went Against Ridgeview with opponents played this weekend.  Gate City can't outpoint Ridgeview, so Ridgeview can't be a 4 seed, thus they can't play Union in round 1.  If you are saying that Ridgeview is the 3 seed and Union is the 6 seed, then the winner of that game can't play Graham in round 2.  Graham would play the winner of 4 vs 5.

This isn't correct.  Per the VHSL, Ridgeview is at 219 points and Gate City is at 202 points.  Including the Power Points those 2 teams should expect to receive, I have them at Ridgeview - 225 and Gate City - 207 without including results of this game.  If Gate City won, Gate City would get (18 + 16) points, or 34 total.  Ridgeview would get (6 + 8 ) points, or 14 total.  Gate City would outpoint Ridgeview 241-239.  Even if something weird happened (Richlands over VHS), Ridgeview would still have to outpoint GC outright to get the #2 seed, which is very unlikely.  

It's perfectly foreseeable for Union to get the 5th seed (or even the 4th seed), which would put them on a collision course with Graham in Round 2.  Richlands beats Virginia High OR Abingdon beats Lee, and there it is.  In the 1st scenario, VHS falls to 5th/6th depending on the results of the Lee/Abingdon game (Lee win = 6th, Lee loss = 5th).  Union moves up to 5th (with a Richlands or Abingdon win) or even 4th (with a Richlands + Abingdon win).  

The only thing I think cannot happen is for Ridgeview and Union to be matched in the 4/5 game, mostly because Ridgeview cannot fall farther than 3rd at this point.  GC can fall to 5th with a loss, so you may see a Union/GC matchup in Round 1 if (a) Ridgeview over GC, (b) Richlands over VHS, and (c) Abingdon over Lee.  

@Union_Fan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure of this.

6 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

This isn't correct.  Per the VHSL, Ridgeview is at 219 points and Gate City is at 202 points.  Including the Power Points those 2 teams should expect to receive, I have them at Ridgeview - 225 and Gate City - 207 without including results of this game.  If Gate City won, Gate City would get (18 + 16) points, or 34 total.  Ridgeview would get (6 + 8 ) points, or 14 total.  Gate City would outpoint Ridgeview 241-239.  Even if something weird happened (Richlands over VHS), Ridgeview would still have to outpoint GC outright to get the #2 seed, which is very unlikely.  

It's perfectly foreseeable for Union to get the 5th seed (or even the 4th seed), which would put them on a collision course with Graham in Round 2.  Richlands beats Virginia High OR Abingdon beats Lee, and there it is.  In the 1st scenario, VHS falls to 5th/6th depending on the results of the Lee/Abingdon game (Lee win = 6th, Lee loss = 5th).  Union moves up to 5th (with a Richlands or Abingdon win) or even 4th (with a Richlands + Abingdon win).  

The only thing I think cannot happen is for Ridgeview and Union to be matched in the 4/5 game, mostly because Ridgeview cannot fall farther than 3rd at this point.  GC can fall to 5th with a loss, so you may see a Union/GC matchup in Round 1 if (a) Ridgeview over GC, (b) Richlands over VHS, and (c) Abingdon over Lee.  

You are correct.  Just looked at GC and RV.  Looks like GC, if the beat RV is outpointing RV and RV can't outpoint them.  

9 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

1 minute ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

You are correct.  Just looked at GC and RV.  Looks like GC, if the beat RV is outpointing RV and RV can't outpoint them.  

It is possible for RV to outpoint GC, but it would take Richlands to beat Va High regardless of anything else.

RV cannot fall further than 3rd, but it is possible for Union to be 6th if Lee beats Abingdon and Va High beats Richlands

2 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

It is possible for RV to outpoint GC, but it would take Richlands to beat Va High regardless of anything else.

RV cannot fall further than 3rd, but it is possible for Union to be 6th if Lee beats Abingdon and Va High beats Richlands

If RV can't fall further than 3rd, then this means that Virginia could fall further than 3rd?  If RV loses to Gate City and Virginia beats Richlands, then Virginia High could be 4th?

4 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If RV can't fall further than 3rd, then this means that Virginia could fall further than 3rd?  If RV loses to Gate City and Virginia beats Richlands, then Virginia High could be 4th?

Yes. Va High can be as high as 3rd or as low as 5th even with a victory over Richlands. Lose to Richlands and they could be 6th.

17 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

The only truly impressive win Gate City has had in that stretch is the Union game (which was at home, FWIW).  Gate City just last week played Central, a 3-7 team that is going to miss the playoffs, to a 21-14 game.  One of those games was a 35-28 win over a Marion team that is lucky to be 1-9.  I think Houseright has come the closest by far of any coach in SWVA to maxing out the results of his team given the talent level they possess.  That's not a criticism at all, and in fact should be taken as a pretty high compliment.  SWVA football is better when GC is competitive like this.  But that's not the profile of a team that makes a lot of noise in November.

I know you've been high on Virginia High this year, but I continue to disagree with the value you put on Brody Jones.  I've seen Virginia High play.  They got punched in the mouth and folded like a cheap tent.  They've played just 2 other reasonably good teams the entire season.  A short-handed Graham more than doubled them up, but they did pretty well against an OK-ish Patrick Henry team.  Again, that's not the kind of team I'm putting much faith in come November.  

Gate City does not have a hang 40 on you offense they win but running the ball and passing just enough to keep you honest and they are good enough to make it hurt when they do put it in the air. That means that the Margin of victory is not going to be a big as other teams in the region. Abingdon was also in pretty good shape when they played and Gate City put it on them. A win is a win it doesnt matter if its by 1 or 50 and getting high school boys to focus in and not make mistakes when the game is on the line says a lot about that coaching staff and the kids. I would still take GC over Tazewell regaurdless of what happens against Ridgeview

As far as VA high I am assuming the game you saw was the first game of the season and that was a LONG time ago. Jones isnt the passer that Creasy or O'Quinn but the kid is huge and can run like a deer. He is also a force of Defense so all around what he brings to that team is more than any player on Tazewells roster does. (not throwing shade on the kids just stating what I see) In the Graham game graham was better up front period. They put 6 lineman on the field and ran it all night long I do not think their is a roster in the region outside of Union that can stand up to what Graham has up front. 

Saying Marion is lucky to be 1-9 just means you have not watched the last few games. If they do a better job of scoring in the redzone the past few weeks they make both VA high and Tazewell sweat a lot more than they all ready were. They arnt the put your J's after one drive the the 3rd quarter team anymore. That could very well happen on Friday because I believe Graham is that good but they are not as far behind as they have been in the past.