SWD Prediction

Iceman2553

23 hours ago, Iceman2553 said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Southwest District this year. Here’s my prediction 

1. Graham 

2. Tazewell

3. Richlands 

4. Va High 

5. Lebanon

6. Marion 

Did Richlands get tons of new players or something? Last I heard most of their good ones graduated or transferred to honaker or Lebanon.

I hesitate to rank due to lack of information and unwillingness to sell short the young guys returning. I will only say based upon what is returning, Graham and Tazewell “should” be 1 and 2 respectively. Everyone else lost a bunch of talent and experience as far as I know with 1-2 key returnees each, so the rest are in the same boat.

I would lean closest to Iceman’s list, but based on confidence or optimism that the kids and coaches are working hard.

6 hours ago, Stelley said:

Personally I agree w this one although I could see va high getting beat by Lebanon

Agree.  I'm not convinced Virginia High nor Richlands is on a different level than Lebanon. VH certainly was heads above Lebanon last season.  Slight edge to VH and Richlands (I guess), but no shocker if Lebanon clips one or both of them with how Richlands has looked the last few years and how much VH lost to graduation.  We'll see how it plays out.

On 7/27/2023 at 7:08 PM, KW23 said:

1. Graham

2. Tazewell

3. VA High

4. Lebanon

5. Richlands

6. Marion

I'm a true Blue fan, but I am also realistic, so I would agree with this perdiction. I hope I'm wrong, but Iooking at the down fall of the overall program at Richlands and the lack of top tier talent, it may be worse than anyone thinks.  Hats off to the players who dawn the Blue and White for RHS and all their hard work, but it looks like a down year if you look at the talent level of other SWD teams.  I guess at Richlands we now call this rebuilding, which has not been the case for several years, before it was termed reloading.

Over the years I have noticed that it seems as though talent on the high school level runs on about a 10 year cycle and RHS has had their fair share over more than a decade, now we see that cycle with Graham, and Tazewell is getting close, so Richlands will have a few more down years to go through.  Times like this is when we see who the true fans are compared with the fair weather fans.  Let's get ready for some SWD football!!! Go Blues!!!

I wouldn’t be surprised by any of those outcomes. Lebanon probably has the best individual talent at QB. Virginia High usually has a skill position/speed advantage. Richlands is traditionally stronger along the lines. I have no clue about Marion. 

49 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Times like this is when we see who the true fans are compared with the fair weather fans.  Let's get ready for some SWD football!!! Go Blues!!!

Tough times reveal true fans! Look at the Reds last year losing 100 games, some fans were faithful no sold out stadium though. This year sold out several times with standing room only. Got to admire those diehard fans that cheer on their teams regardless. That’s one thing I admire about the Tazewell fan base, those boys have great community support & backing whether they win or lose. People can poke fun at their parades & such but those boys don’t have to wonder if they have support. Good luck to the Blues, I’d like to see Tazewell County finish 1, 2, & 3 with 1 being Graham for obvious reasons 😂😂

20 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised by any of those outcomes. Lebanon probably has the best individual talent at QB. Virginia High usually has a skill position/speed advantage. Richlands is traditionally stronger along the lines. I have no clue about Marion. 

Lebanon does have a talented QB, but they also have had to replace 15 seniors, quite a few on the line. I'm not sure how their line play is going to be. They also lost Hertig and Olsen. Those 2 are hard to replace. I could see them finishing ahead of Marion and possibly Richlands,  if they are as down as what everyone is saying. 

1. Graham

2. Tazewell 

3. Virginia High (well coached with athletes, may be tougher than many think.)

4. Lebanon (Great QB and WRs, but do they have a line?)

5. Richlands

6. Marion. 

I think 4 and 5 are interchangeable. 

I heard Lebanon graduated a good group of athletes and the poor timing of moving up in classification creates a huge challenge. 

I assume at least one of the Poku brothers graduated along with Brody Jones, who could take over a game. 

Maybe I’m optimistic, but I believe Richlands surprises some with some young talent. 

None of the outcomes among those 3 would shock me at all.

On 7/30/2023 at 8:52 AM, tornado99 said:

I assume at least one of the Poku brothers graduated along with Brody Jones, who could take over a game. 

Prince and Patrick are twins actually so they've both graduated 

10 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

1.  Graham starters 

2.   Graham 2nd string 

3.  Tazewell 

4.  Graham 3rd string 

5.  Lebanon 

Accurate. maybe Graham middle school team then lebanon

2 hours ago, Stelley said:

Accurate. maybe Graham middle school team then lebanon

Possibly I haven’t had time to scout the middle school program but they’re next then it’s on to the flag football squad.  

I’ll make my call after week one. Anymore it seems you can’t base anything off of scrimmages, benefit games, and definitely not hear say. I really hope all of them stay healthy through the scrimmages and benefit games! I’m excited to see this year get underway and hope they all have an injury free, good year! Go Dawgs!!

In Class 2, I lean more towards Graham is that good. The limiting factor for most schools on this end of the state traditionally is speed, although occasionally teams have just enough. Graham has both speed and physicality at each position group.

In Class 1, this area is traditionally very strong, BUT the Riverheads juggernaut killed hopes for state titles. At least, they don’t have that problem.

Two things can be true at this time. Obviously injuries can derail a season but in my opinion these are the two.

1-Graham is that good. Whether it’s coaching, talent or development they’re that much ahead of everyone else in this region. The remainder of the SWD is playing for 2nd. I’m fairly confident that you could take the underclassmen of Graham and finish 2nd.

2-M7 will offer no competition this year. Union is the districts best team providing they stay healthy. I see them playing Union twice and the second occasion being in Bluefield for the regional title. That game will be a similar if not worse result as the regional championship last year.