Week 1 Updates

Iceman2553

14 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If ya'll want to see a finish. Flip over to NFHS and watch Central of Woodstock vs Riverheads in the final 1.5 minutes.  Central is down 7-0 and has the ball at their own 16 yard line.  Central drives the length of the field in about 1.5 minutes and scores to make it 7 to 6 with under 10 seconds left in the game.  Central is going to kick the extra point and take it to overtime, right?  Nope, the Sons of Bitches go for 2 and the get it!!  Won it 8-7

I think Yew is a really good coach. He ran into a very athletic team in Graham last year , but his play calling is solid. He did run a fake punt from inside his own 10 last year and converted. He definitely has a set.  

1 minute ago, Gmen2021 said:

Mostly Roanoke area. Fleming, Northside and Byrd

I lived in Roanoke for a decade. My kids were born there. The AD at WB is my cousin.

“Mostly” (as you say) because Bath, Craig and Allegheny are so sparsely populated. But those large bodies LB always seem to have come from Clifton Forge, Hot Springs and New Castle. Just go search the ones playing in college now and look at their home towns.

LB and WB have always taken turns being the top program stealing talent from one another in the process. Pick the sport. It’s been happening for generations. 

Fleming and PH players by-in-large end up at Salem. A few have gone to LB over the years but not as many as Salem. 

The outlier in the area is Cave Spring and Hidden Valley. Their best football players end up all over. My suspicion is, the area has more money so players can get to outlying programs much easier. CS also ends up with a lot of basketball talent from Franklin County. HV is much more successful in Olympic sports and get those kids from everywhere. 

Glenvar traditionally gets the best athletes from Eastern Montgomery. Their staring QB’s brother won a state championship playing basketball at Cave Spring two years ago. Spent last season on the VT basketball roster. 

16 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

I think Yew is a really good coach. He ran into a very athletic team in Graham last year , but his play calling is solid. He did run a fake punt from inside his own 10 last year and converted. He definitely has a set.  

Agree 100%. Yew is very good. He put his team in the best possible position to win on offense and he did the right thing on defense forcing Graham to throw it because he knows most Class 1 and 2 teams can't consistently throw well enough for 4 quarters. He just got beat by a better team. With that written, Palmer also put his kids in the best position to win and Graham took advantage in the passing game early forcing Centrals secondary to cover in space.

HokieBird7, I think Narrows still wins district also, but McCluer may make a game of it with a few turnovers. 

Graham review- It was a sloppy win for sure. There is something about when these teams play each other that all fundamentals go out the window. After watching the replay today, the defensive line was not consistent and was standing up and pushed around a lot. Bluefield ran to the same side 90% of the time and we still allowed them to get too many yards every time. Too many tackles up high, missed tackles and way too many yards up the middle. 

I thought the OL improved since the last scrimmage in protecting the QB. There needs to be a focus on snaps. I was impressed with Roberts passing.

Penalties- Way too many penalties on both sides. After watching replay, we deserved some of them. However, I still don’t agree with not calling the horse collar and the pass interference call was rediculous in my opinion. 

While it was sloppy, I saw some good things too and I guarantee that we will not see sloppy play like this again. I thought Hughes had a fantastic game and a huge asset on offense and defense. I saw where he got Bluefield State Player of the game from Bluefield announcers. Blake Graham with that outstanding TD catch and MVP from Great American Rivalry Series. I thought Roberts did a great job and will only get better. 

I sure do hope Clements and Hughes are ok. 

Halftime: Princeton 35, Lincoln County 0

Another major matchup coming in Mercer County, WV, with Princeton and Bluefield. I could be wrong on this, but I think Princeton is/was also in the same boat as Graham. They have never beat Bluefield 3 times in a row in their history. I hear Princeton is supposed to be darn good again. They have an OL kid committed to Air Force if I'm not mistaken. Got a couple kids in the coverage area committed to Aim High Academy in the kid from Princeton and Coe from Marion I think.

3 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Halftime: Princeton 35, Lincoln County 0

Another major matchup coming in Mercer County, WV, with Princeton and Bluefield. I could be wrong on this, but I think Princeton is/was also in the same boat as Graham. They have never beat Bluefield 3 times in a row in their history. I hear Princeton is supposed to be darn good again. They have an OL kid committed to Air Force if I'm not mistaken. Got a couple kids in the coverage area committed to Aim High Academy in the kid from Princeton and Coe from Marion I think.

Yeah Eli Campbell. Princeton also has one of the best players in the coverage area that isn’t talked about enough, Dom Collins.

3 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I lived in Roanoke for a decade. My kids were born there. The AD at WB is my cousin.

“Mostly” (as you say) because Bath, Craig and Allegheny are so sparsely populated. But those large bodies LB always seem to have come from Clifton Forge, Hot Springs and New Castle. Just go search the ones playing in college now and look at their home towns.

LB and WB have always taken turns being the top program stealing talent from one another in the process. Pick the sport. It’s been happening for generations. 

Fleming and PH players by-in-large end up at Salem. A few have gone to LB over the years but not as many as Salem. 

The outlier in the area is Cave Spring and Hidden Valley. Their best football players end up all over. My suspicion is, the area has more money so players can get to outlying programs much easier. CS also ends up with a lot of basketball talent from Franklin County. HV is much more successful in Olympic sports and get those kids from everywhere. 

Glenvar traditionally gets the best athletes from Eastern Montgomery. Their staring QB’s brother won a state championship playing basketball at Cave Spring two years ago. Spent last season on the VT basketball roster. 

Troy Everette (Oklahoma)  the Stephens boys , (Furman) , Z. Horton (JMU) , the Trey Reiter(VMI) the Anderson kid ( committed to OHIO U)playing now (all from Northside). The Howard kid is from W. Byrd (committed to Wake Forest)The two kids from Allegheny who are at VTech , They(LB) did not won  their region in the last two years  when they were seniors.  Their starting running back this year is from William Fleming. 

36 minutes ago, FootballFan77 said:

Graham review- It was a sloppy win for sure. There is something about when these teams play each other that all fundamentals go out the window. After watching the replay today, the defensive line was not consistent and was standing up and pushed around a lot. Bluefield ran to the same side 90% of the time and we still allowed them to get too many yards every time. Too many tackles up high, missed tackles and way too many yards up the middle. 

I thought the OL improved since the last scrimmage in protecting the QB. There needs to be a focus on snaps. I was impressed with Roberts passing.

Penalties- Way too many penalties on both sides. After watching replay, we deserved some of them. However, I still don’t agree with not calling the horse collar and the pass interference call was rediculous in my opinion. 

While it was sloppy, I saw some good things too and I guarantee that we will not see sloppy play like this again. I thought Hughes had a fantastic game and a huge asset on offense and defense. I saw where he got Bluefield State Player of the game from Bluefield announcers. Blake Graham with that outstanding TD catch and MVP from Great American Rivalry Series. I thought Roberts did a great job and will only get better. 

I sure do hope Clements and Hughes are ok. 

It was a W but sloppy. A lot of good teaching moments. Palmer will improve them each week . Their is still alot of youth on this team. Not alot of teams turn the ball over with that many penalties have any chance of winning. Shows the depth , grit , and great coaching Graham has in their favor. 

58 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Agree 100%. Yew is very good. He put his team in the best possible position to win on offense and he did the right thing on defense forcing Graham to throw it because he knows most Class 1 and 2 teams can't consistently throw well enough for 4 quarters. He just got beat by a better team. With that written, Palmer also put his kids in the best position to win and Graham took advantage in the passing game early forcing Centrals secondary to cover in space.

HokieBird7, I think Narrows still wins district also, but McCluer may make a game of it with a few turnovers. 

Any team Narrows faces that has a few athletic players in the secondary will double up on Pruett and force another receiver to step up or make Narrows have to run the ball which they do not do well. PM will be on team in the Pioneer that has a shot as they usually have some decent athletes. 

15 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

Troy Everette (Oklahoma)  the Stephens boys , (Furman) , Z. Horton (JMU) , the Trey Reiter(VMI) the Anderson kid ( committed to OHIO U)playing now (all from Northside). The Howard kid is from W. Byrd (committed to Wake Forest)The two kids from Allegheny who are at VTech , They(LB) did not won  their region in the last two years  when they were seniors.  Their starting running back this year is from William Fleming. 

LB gets kids from all over, sure. But they get ALL the best players from Craig, Bath and Allegheny along with Byrd. The two at Appalachian State right now are from Blue Ridge, and Vinton. The McLain kid at VT is from Clifton Forge. Gunnar Givens at VT is from Covington. 

Isaiah Stephens is from Daleville right by the high school. Xavier Stephens is from Fleming. 

Zach Horton played for Northside against Galax for 3 years before moving to LB his senior season. Same for Reiter. 

Everett spent a couple seasons at Appalachian State before transferring to Oklahoma. Fun fact, he is actually from Cave Spring so he never attended high school in his district. 

My point is, you can’t base where anyone in the Roanoke Valley lives based on where they attend (or attended) high school. They start recruiting those kids to neighboring schools in middle school. 

3 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

I was leaving anyways but that’s gotta be the first game I’ve ever seen called that soon never even rained did it??  Seemed to me Lee just didn’t wanna come back out after that performance.  Union is either great or Lee is really bad 

A combination I think. Union is much improved from last year.

Lee looks about the same.

37 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

A combination I think. Union is much improved from last year.

Lee looks about the same.

Lee was missing some key players and had several kids sick. I wouldn’t say Union has changed alot since last year except 28 is stronger and faster.

7 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Pass interference on Graham....smh.

Yeah, it was clearly offensive pass interference. Palmer kid had that ball dead to rights and the Bluefield player , I believe Hairston looked to try to pull him down. Then they call pass interference on 16 who was on the other side of the field 😂. I’m not a bash the refs guy but that was a bad call. A picture is worth a 1000 words they say. 

I saw that play on NFHS.  The call was so bad that it can't be judgemental, but intentional.  I understand that 99 percent of calls that are missed or bad calls are one's that are simply missed, not intentional by the official, and simply just a mistake if the call is wrong and we see it on replay.  There is the rare exception where the call is so wrong or so bad that it can't be chalked up to a mistake or judgement missed.  It's actually WITH intent.  With malice.  Yes, i said it, with the intention of cheating, to cause harm to the other team.  I said this after watching that play.  The side judge who through the flag should have a  couple of weeks off and the back judge who literally had the Graham player in between himself and the defender who ALLOWED the flag to take effect (he didn't overrule it) should be investigated.  I stand by that statement and will argue it for as long as anyone wants to, and I don't like arguing.  I have no idea if that game was called good or bad or mediocre all game long.  I didn't see the whole game.  I do know that on the pass interference call, it wasn't a bad call.  It was one of those very, very, very , very rare cicumstances in which there was Malice, cheating, call it what you want, intent to actually cause harmd to other team.   That happened on that call.

We had a call at Giles like that about 8 years ago against Blacksburg that was in our favor.  It was blatent.  It was aggregious, and it bothered me even though it benefited my own team.  There is no way the call at Giles that day could have been accidental.  It bothered me.  99.9 percent of missed calls in my opinion are accidental, a human mistake. But, there is that rare exception where the official actually is attempting to do harm, and if people think that's not possible, they are crazy imo.  It is rare though imo.

3 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I saw that play on NFHS.  The call was so bad that it can't be judgemental, but intentional.  I understand that 99 percent of calls that are missed or bad calls are one's that are simply missed, not intentional by the official, and simply just a mistake if the call is wrong and we see it on replay.  There is the rare exception where the call is so wrong or so bad that it can't be chalked up to a mistake or judgement missed.  It's actually WITH intent.  With malice.  Yes, i said it, with the intention of cheating, to cause harm to the other team.  I said this after watching that play.  The side judge who through the flag should have a  couple of weeks off and the back judge who literally had the Graham player in between himself and the defender who ALLOWED the flag to take effect (he didn't overrule it) should be investigated.  I stand by that statement and will argue it for as long as anyone wants to, and I don't like arguing.  I have no idea if that game was called good or bad or mediocre all game long.  I didn't see the whole game.  I do know that on the pass interference call, it wasn't a bad call.  It was one of those very, very, very , very rare cicumstances in which there was Malice, cheating, call it what you want, intent to actually cause harmd to other team.   That happened on that call.

It's not the first time either. In 2019 we outgained them 2 to 1 yet lost by 14 points. Everytime we scored or had a big play it was called back.