Surprise

Tigers_07

44 minutes ago, Tigers_07 said:

Is there any team(s) so far this season have surprised you the most.

1. Grayson County, even though 4-0, I thought they would be far more dominant against the very weak teams they have played with the roster that Grayson has and what they returned.

2. Union Kind of.  Union surprised me IF going by how good they were supposed to be.  From the comments on this board in the past 10 or so months, Union was supposed to be good as always, but not State Title good, and Union is state title good.  They are in the mix for a state championship in Class 2.  Now, after seeing them against Science Hill, it was obvious they were that good, so the surprise part was over at halftime with Science Hill, regardless of the final score.

3. Radford was not supposed to be as good.  My first cuz who is very knowledgeable of their program and follows the Bobcats closely (Fairlawncat) told me, and a couple of other Radford fans told me this also, that they wouldn't be nearly as good.  They all said they would be good, kind of like Union, but not State title good, and Radford like Union, is one of those teams that can win a state title this year.  The problem with them is the monkey on their backs with Glenvar and Appo in the Region.  

4. Bluefield- was supposed to be much better.  Really surprising me.  One thing about Bluefield with their 3 losses though, they just can't win a close game.  Forget about the Princeton final score, that game was very close and Bluefield could easily be undefeated.  They just are finding ways not to win close games.

1 minute ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

1. Grayson County, even though 4-0, I thought they would be far more dominant against the very weak teams they have played with the roster that Grayson has and what they returned.

2. Union Kind of.  Union surprised me IF going by how good they were supposed to be.  From the comments on this board in the past 10 or so months, Union was supposed to be good as always, but not State Title good, and Union is state title good.  They are in the mix for a state championship in Class 2.  Now, after seeing them against Science Hill, it was obvious they were that good, so the surprise part was over at halftime with Science Hill, regardless of the final score.

3. Radford was not supposed to be as good.  My first cuz who is very knowledgeable of their program and follows the Bobcats closely (Fairlawncat) told me, as well at other Radford fans, that they wouldn't be nearly as good.  They all said they would be good, kind of like Union, but not State title good, and Radford like Union, is one of those teams that can win a state title this year.  The problem with them is the monkey on their backs with Glenvar and Appo in the Region.  

4. Bluefield- was supposed to be much better.  Really surprising me.  One thing about Bluefield with their 3 losses though, they just can't win a close game.  Forget about the Princeton final score, that game was very close and Bluefield could easily be undefeated.  They just are finding ways not to win close games.

If Bluefield had a true QB as someone noted in another thread, they would be dangerous! Hopefully, they figure things out. They have talent for certain! 

1. Radford has surprised me more than anyone. They seem better this year than last year when they had Baylor and Preilou(not sure how to spell it). Their team speed on both sides of the ball is insane. They held a good Pulaski team to 10 points. That same Pulaski team just put up 40 on Princeton. But does Christ has what it takes to get them over the Glenvar/Appo hump? 

2. Grayson. I expected them to win most of their games decisively but they have struggled with weaker opponents. They did give Narrows a 34-6 beat down in the scrimmage but it’s hard to judge that. If they come out and beat Giles 40-0 on Friday then I’ll put them back at the top of the Region. 

3. Galax/GW - both of these have played a brutal schedule so far with Glenvar, Graham, and Radford. But last year, they were competitive in these games as GW and Galax were Graham’s toughest opponents IMO. Are we about to witness a rare fall off in Galax and GW? Or will both of these schools start finding their stride and end up in the region championship? 

Lebanon-I have not seen them in person but several games on NFHS.  All the talk about the QB being the best on that end of the state I think was a little over hyped now that they are 1-3 and 2 of the loses have been by 20+.  In all my years if a kid is head and shoulders better than most everyone they play then he can do a lot on his own.  I understand there's 11 on the field but at their level one really good player can make some big plays and keep the games somewhat close.  I may be in the wrong but for what I was reading before the season I would've thought they'd be 3-1 or 4-0.  

I think Bluefield has 2 issues. No traditional QB and lack of depth. I have watched all their games on the internet and they pretty much play the same guys on both sides of the ball. You never really see anyone coming in to give someone a break. Maybe one or two guys at best. No solid rotation to keep players fresh.

7 hours ago, 44cov3 said:

Lebanon-I have not seen them in person but several games on NFHS.  All the talk about the QB being the best on that end of the state I think was a little over hyped now that they are 1-3 and 2 of the loses have been by 20+.  In all my years if a kid is head and shoulders better than most everyone they play then he can do a lot on his own.  I understand there's 11 on the field but at their level one really good player can make some big plays and keep the games somewhat close.  I may be in the wrong but for what I was reading before the season I would've thought they'd be 3-1 or 4-0.  

Completely understandable where you’re coming from. However, he can’t really show out when we can’t get the defense off the field. He still has around 850 yards despite being on the sideline for most of the game

6 hours ago, Wvumav said:

I think Bluefield has 2 issues. No traditional QB and lack of depth. I have watched all their games on the internet and they pretty much play the same guys on both sides of the ball. You never really see anyone coming in to give someone a break. Maybe one or two guys at best. No solid rotation to keep players fresh.

This is my takeaway from Bluefield as well. Hairston is so good at receiver and has mismatches against almost anyone against him but has no one getting him the ball. Lack of depth showed against Woodrow down the stretch. Everyone was tired. They really can't afford anyone getting injured. 

9 hours ago, Stelley said:

Completely understandable where you’re coming from. However, he can’t really show out when we can’t get the defense off the field. He still has around 850 yards despite being on the sideline for most of the game

Oh dang that is some legit numbers thru 4 games; much respect to the young man as I think some people where saying he needed to move schools or maybe focus on baseball.  Dude is obviously still coming out and showing out even though the score isn't necessarily reflecting it.  I hope he stays healthy and continues on his great season.

17 hours ago, RichRich said:

Central,  I didn't expect them to be this bad

But Central has the best JV team in the history of the VHSL!