Week 7 Scores/Updates

Iceman2553

38 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Would Never happen but Nathan Tanner. He's absolutely killing it for Parkersburg South up in West Virginia. That would be my dream pick to take over Giles but like I said.... would never happen. 

So who would you want that's realistic

1 hour ago, 1Wingit23 said:

60minuteman was correct unless I'm overlooking someone. If you're thinking about Ricky, he graduated a couple of years before the current coach assumed the head coaching responsibilities and would have just been an assistant. Ricky won State in 2005 and Williams didn't take the team until 2008

He said former players...we have 2....none that played under Jeff as head coach but he was assistant for years too

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Serious question for any Spartan fans...even you transplant green wave now turned Spartan fan

If williams retired after the season who in your opinion should be the next coach

1. Nathan Tanner. His experience and success at coaching speaks for itself.

2. Toss up between Ricky Cook/Austin Cooper. Ricky is one of the best to wear red and I like the emotion he shows. The kids respect him. Austin has head coaching experience. He had some good seasons at Hurley before coming back to Giles as an assistant. From following him on fbook I could tell the impact he made because the Hurley community was devastated when he left. However he is the varsity basketball coach so I’m assuming he would have to give it up since football season runs into basketball season. 

3. Trey Freeman. I’ve won many National Championships and Super Bowls on NCAA14 and Madden 23.

39 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

1. Nathan Tanner. His experience and success at coaching speaks for itself.

2. Toss up between Ricky Cook/Austin Cooper. Ricky is one of the best to wear red and I like the emotion he shows. The kids respect him. Austin has head coaching experience. He had some good seasons at Hurley before coming back to Giles as an assistant. From following him on fbook I could tell the impact he made because the Hurley community was devastated when he left. However he is the varsity basketball coach so I’m assuming he would have to give it up since football season runs into basketball season. 

3. Trey Freeman. I’ve won many National Championships and Super Bowls on NCAA14 and Madden 23.

I'm also voting Trey 2024!

I didn't think Ridgeview looked very good when i saw them play. I think im convinced so far this year that the region is down and its portraying some false favorites. If I had to pick a champion now I would say Radford, Central or someone from out East

28 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

I didn't think Ridgeview looked very good when i saw them play. I think im convinced so far this year that the region is down and its portraying some false favorites. If I had to pick a champion now I would say Radford, Central or someone from out East

I'm going with Union/Graham.  Said when Union was in the 3rd quarter with Science Hill and when Graham was losing to Bluefield at half time.  Poqouson would have been a formidable opponent form the East, but injuries got them.  Top Running Back out for season and top overall player out for season, and another one in trouble.  They lost 3 of their top 4 players on the football team.  They are still good enough to get past King William, but Central/Riverheads will be in the state title from the East in my opnion.  

I still think either Union or Graham finds a way and beats Radford.  Two teams to keep an eye on hardly anyone is talking about...

Buckingham County- this might be the school that gives Riverheads/Central problems in Region B.

Gretna- this might be the school that gives Radford problems in Region C, not Glenvar.

Both of these 2 have equal talent to a Graham and Union.  Both are very athletic and fast.  Gretna had what might have been the most impressive performance by a Class 2 school all year long last night in a LOSS to Magna Vista by 1 point.  That game might have been more impressive than Radford over Glenvar, Riverheads over Christiansburg.  

4 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

So who would you want that's realistic

To be honest, that's a tough question. What's realistic to you and I may not be for the ones involved. Who would even want it would be a solid question? I would definitely want Giles to bring in one of their own and keep old traditions. There's current staff that may not even keep the single wing. I would want someone who has the drive to perform the job the way it has to be done to bring the program back to its glory days. The position is almost a full time job in and of itself. With all that being said and I know there's a lot on the man's plate but I would solidly select Ricky Cook as Williams successor if he wanted the position. He is the most respected coach currently on staff and has the knowledge and the people skills that would translate into a great coach. The kids would lay down and die for the dude and that breeds success. I also know the extra things he does currently and would bring a level of dedication to the team that has lacked for several years. On another note, his Dad was probably the greatest coach I ever played for from little League throughout college. The nut didn't fall far from the tree from what I've seen and heard from current and former players

On 10/6/2023 at 9:49 PM, sixcat said:

They know the rules significant better than 95% of those that paid to attend!!! Those same 95% think they know infinitely more than they actually do. 

Agreed with the caveat; however, that their lack of knowledge doesn't affect the game.  Fans are different these days.  I don't remember 1% of this drama when I played and I would surmise....that was an overall more physical era.