Richlands vs Galax

Tru Blue72

Calpreps is predicting 38-13 Galax, a 25 point win.  I just can't believe it man.  Galax I surely favor, but 25 points is a lot of dang points and Galax isn't quite at the level they have been at in the past.  Of course, Richlands isn't either, but something tells me (purely my opinion) that Calpreps is going to miss big here, and that this game is going to be tight in the 4th with Richlands having a chance to win the game.  I pick Galax, but not by more than 10 points.  31-21 Galax, but possibly even tighter. 

I'm not sure Galax has enough offense to get to 38 or even 28. They scored 34 against George Wythe but only because GW gave them 21 points in the first quarter off turnovers deep in their own territory. The only other game all season Galax has scored more than 21 points was against Auburn and I'm not sure that should count.

I think Richlands has mailed it in for the year but, they have shown flashes of a decent running game. It's not fancy with a lot of flash but simply move the yard marker with an occasional big gain. I think that should be the focus for the remaining games on the schedule. The RB runs hard but the o-line tends to lose focus. If they can establish a run game, they have a shot.

It looks like the rain will be moved out of the area a couple of hours before kick-off. Welcome news if it holds true. I'd hate to have to come back to the high school at 6am tomorrow morning still waterlogged from tonight.

On 10/19/2023 at 3:54 PM, sixcat said:

I'm not sure Galax has enough offense to get to 38 or even 28. They scored 34 against George Wythe but only because GW gave them 21 points in the first quarter off turnovers deep in their own territory. The only other game all season Galax has scored more than 21 points was against Auburn and I'm not sure that should count.

Well they’ve already got 21 in the first, so I think they’ll eclipse that 28 mark. 😂

I had Galax by 10 pts. I wasn't even close. I'm really surprised Richlands is this down. Not being disrespectful to Galax either as Galax could still win Region C, even this year, but Richlands must just be really, really down. I heard about the youth, so hopefully the young guys learn from this year and get better which I'm sure they will.

23 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Is Richlands  really young this year?

Not young just no inspiration in their play. They were fired up and played their hearts out for the first half against Tazewell but then the second half ripped it out of them. Last week was further demoralizing. My connections tell me that one of the biggest problems is the assistant coaching staff. 

It’s really both. Richlands only had 5 seniors on the roster, one of which was his first year. It really was an imperfect storm of an uphill battle this season. Another thread listed the slide, but youth and inexperience is certainly part of it. The other factors may explain the youth, though.

9 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I had Galax by 10 pts. I wasn't even close. I'm really surprised Richlands is this down. Not being disrespectful to Galax either as Galax could still win Region C, even this year, but Richlands must just be really, really down. I heard about the youth, so hopefully the young guys learn from this year and get better which I'm sure they will.

I actually picked Richlands to win it like a dummy 😭

Youth may be part of the problem, but coaching is the elephant in the room that some don't want to talk about. IMO and take it with a grain of salt because I'm just a fan, but the only fix I see is a complete overhaul from top down.  Bring in someone from outside the SWD and let them build their staff with no ifluence from parents or political higher ups involved.

27 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Youth may be part of the problem, but coaching is the elephant in the room that some don't want to talk about. IMO and take it with a grain of salt because I'm just a fan, but the only fix I see is a complete overhaul from top down.  Bring in someone from outside the SWD and let them build their staff with no ifluence from parents or political higher ups involved.

In this town? Good luck lol. 

3 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Union has plenty of coaches to spare don’t even have to buy backpacks for them they got it covered