Richlands vs Marion

Tru Blue72

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Legit question for those a bit older than me.  When Mance first came, how prevalent were transfers then (to or from)?  I know in my high school years they were rare.

Everybody is on the win now or I'm out of here train which makes it that much harder to rebuild. 

From my recollection, Mance's first 12 seasons (1997-2008) consisted of home-grown talent. IINM, the Johnson clan's (Big Creek) first season was 2009. From that point on (2009-19), there always seemed to be several transfers on the roster, primarily from neighboring schools (e.g., Tazewell, Graham, Honaker).

Ironically, Richlands had more success at the state-level without transfers (one title, two runner-ups) than they did with them (two runner-ups). 

Just now, Liam McPoyle said:

From my recollection, Mance's first 12 seasons (1997-2008) consisted of home-grown talent. IINM, the Johnson clan's (Big Creek) first season was 2009. From that point on (2009-19), there always seemed to be several transfers on the roster, primarily from neighboring schools (e.g., Tazewell, Graham, Honaker).

Ironically, Richlands had more success at the state-level without transfers (one title, two runner-ups) than they did with them (two runner-ups). 

The Johnson bunch was the big news group.  I know before that we lost a few players in the 00's to Richlands.

45 minutes ago, CPF said:

I've said this before.....if you can talk him into coming back I'd try Mark Dixon. I don't think anyone on Graham's staff would go down there at this point. So I'd look at trying to get someone prominent from Unions staff. And if that failed I'd go Shane Wicks. But I'm not hiring. But a house cleaning is in order for sure. And it needs rebuilt from the ground up. Tough task.

Dixon would be a darn good one. Mike Compton another one if they could talk him into leaving UVA Wise.

8 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

The Johnson bunch was the big news group.  I know before that we lost a few players in the 00's to Richlands.

I always got the impression from some of the Richlands' members on here that those early-to-mid-00 teams were virtually all home-grown. 

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

They had a starting linebacker come from Honaker in about 06. That's when it started.

9 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Legit question for those a bit older than me.  When Mance first came, how prevalent were transfers then (to or from)?  I know in my high school years they were rare.

Everybody is on the win now or I'm out of here train which makes it that much harder to rebuild. 

Transfers didn’t begin until the Johnsons in 2009. Prior to that, they were rare. I don’t recall any in my junior or senior years, which were Mance’s first two. I don’t know if any football transfers during the 3 straight title game appearances 2005-2007, although I believe Shane Wicks was from Honaker.

6 hours ago, CPF said:

They had a starting linebacker come from Honaker in about 06. That's when it started.

I don’t know if that was during high school or the middle school years, but either way, it would have been a one off during that era.

On 10/23/2023 at 1:43 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I want to be respectful here. I've always liked the Blues program, but Richlands needs a win here. If not, they are going 0-10 and you go 0-10 and that gets into historic territory....like....arguably the worst Richlands football team in half of a century or 50 years. That's significant considering where the Blues were not too long ago as one of the top 3 Class 2 programs in Virginia year in and year out.

I hate to say it but these coaches in Richlands should all resign after the Graham game quit cheating these kids they the coaches have no knowledge of the game , these players are really good ball players they just haven’t been taught the basic fundamentals of football! Hire knowledgeable coaches and teachers of the game this is really and embarrassment to our community and to the leadership in the county! 

10 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

I didn't think you would ever ask. @1Wingit23has my vote. I know he's a diehard Giles guy but we've seen that connection work well in the past for Richlands. The man knows his x's and o's as good as anybody. He'll have them bench pressing Volkswagens and squatting trucks in no time. 

No, I would sit on my butt and not have any type off-season program and just lose game after game after game. If that didn't didn't work, I would move my personnel around each and every week so the kids have no idea their responsibilities after practicing a new position for 1 whole practice. If that still didn't work, I would set up my defensive alignment to play to their strengths. It wouldn't matter how good I did I'm the pre-season or the first game I would just mangle it. I would still have loyal supporters so I'm thankful for that I guess 

Despite the occasional transfer before '09, the arrival of Johnsons clearly ushered in a new era. It was from that point forward where multiple transfers were making significant contributions. For example, a transfer was Richlands' QB-1 for like 4 of 5 seasons from '09 to '13 with Cody Johnson (Big Creek), Cody Lockhart (Tazewell), and Gray Baker (Graham). With Devon Johnson at RB/LB from '09 to '11 and others, this was clearly a different era from the virtually homegrown '05 to '07 teams.

10 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Despite the occasional transfer before '09, the arrival of Johnsons clearly ushered in a new era. It was from that point forward where multiple transfers were making significant contributions. For example, a transfer was Richlands' QB-1 for like 4 of 5 seasons from '09 to '13 with Cody Johnson (Big Creek), Cody Lockhart (Tazewell), and Gray Baker (Graham). With Devon Johnson at RB/LB from '09 to '11 and others, this was clearly a different era from the virtually homegrown '05 to '07 teams.

Can't remember the years exactly but there are three big players that we had transfer.

Cody Parnell, Cody Lockhart and Nick Blankenship.

12 hours ago, tornado99 said:

Transfers didn’t begin until the Johnsons in 2009. Prior to that, they were rare. I don’t recall any in my junior or senior years, which were Mance’s first two. I don’t know if any football transfers during the 3 straight title game appearances 2005-2007, although I believe Shane Wicks was from Honaker.

Wicks was from Honaker, but he came to Richlands well before high school. We graduated together and I think he came either our 7th or 8th grad year. I know we were in middle school when it happened, though. 

52 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Wicks was from Honaker, but he came to Richlands well before high school. We graduated together and I think he came either our 7th or 8th grad year. I know we were in middle school when it happened, though. 

I don't really think kids who come in middle school should even be part of high school transfer conversation. If a program is consistently getting juniors or seniors from other schools, okay have a conversation but middle school transfers here & there. The only time I would think middle school would be in the discussion is if a program had numerous middle schoolers transferring year after year but I haven't seen that happening around here that I know of, granted Honaker got several middle schoolers this year from Richlands but that's not happening year in & year out. 

12 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Although Baker was going to be the starter in '13, he was injured in the benefit game and it was River Michaels was ultimately the quarterback for all 13 games in 2013.

22 hours ago, CPF said:

I've said this before.....if you can talk him into coming back I'd try Mark Dixon. I don't think anyone on Graham's staff would go down there at this point. So I'd look at trying to get someone prominent from Unions staff. And if that failed I'd go Shane Wicks. But I'm not hiring. But a house cleaning is in order for sure. And it needs rebuilt from the ground up. Tough task.

Mark Dixon would be an excellent hire for any school. Knows line play inside out. Great with the kids and he is an awesome person.

1 hour ago, rvtne216 said:

Although Baker was going to be the starter in '13, he was injured in the benefit game and it was River Michaels was ultimately the quarterback for all 13 games in 2013.

IINM, I read that Baker only played 7 games in 2012 before getting hurt, as well.

3 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Can't remember the years exactly but there are three big players that we had transfer.

Cody Parnell, Cody Lockhart and Nick Blankenship.

I found some old newspaper articles in the BDT and BHC.

The first season in Richlands for:

Cody Parnell was 2009.

Cody Lockhart was 2010.

Nick Blankenship was 2015.

3 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

IINM, I read that Baker only played 7 games in 2012 before getting hurt, as well.

That is correct. He and Ben Brown split time at QB in that first game in 2012 against Gate City before Baker ultimately took the reigns against Union, Graham, Pulaski, Patrick Co, Honaker and Marion. He was injured in that Honaker game and then the knee gave way in practice leading up to Carroll County. 

20 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

No, I would sit on my butt and not have any type off-season program and just lose game after game after game. If that didn't didn't work, I would move my personnel around each and every week so the kids have no idea their responsibilities after practicing a new position for 1 whole practice. If that still didn't work, I would set up my defensive alignment to play to their strengths. It wouldn't matter how good I did I'm the pre-season or the first game I would just mangle it. I would still have loyal supporters so I'm thankful for that I guess 

hey wingman, I know you don't want to give away all the super coaching tricks away you learned this year, but how about benching a starter on defense, the week after playing a great game on defense. Not letting him practice defense all week, then starting him at linebacker on friday night after not letting him practice all week. Whooo! That's some major coaching right there. 

Kids these days would much rather have a wide open offense rather than three yards and a cloud of dust. Some sort of spread, regardless of run or pass-based, will garner more players from the hallways. That basketball player on the fence about playing is more likely to come out and play as a wide receiver than as a back in the Wing-T. Yes, there are exceptions like Riverheads. But for the most part with dwindling populations, you gotta be at least somewhat balanced.