Taylor stepping down at Lebanon

1inStripes

Well, I think it is obvious that what is going on at Lebanon is centered around keeping that kid and his dad as a coach.  Look, throwing a kid in an offense that passes a lot is one thing but developing that kid and teaching him how to correctly make reads and dissect a defense and understand the subtleties of playing that position is another thing.  Exactly who in this region is the quarterback whisperer?  It was Mance...he is gone.  My apologies to anyone at Honaker or Lebanon, but who there makes you think they will turn the kid into a D-1 prospect?  One dude has the prior experience of working with and developing QBs and look what RV did to him.  

At this point the kid is already behind his fellow QBs.  He hasn't worked with good speed WRs...so timing is already poor.  He doesn't see man/press coverage so he has zero experience throwing against man or even reading if the defense is in man.  He certainly hasn't seen disguised coverages nor has been given read/check down authority in a game. Every QB at the 4A and above level has already seen this.  And most of them have a dedicated QB coach.  If the goal is for pops to coach his kid......that's a bad strategy.  If the goal is to have his kid developed.....there really is only one dude around the area that has that resume. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

54 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Well, I think it is obvious that what is going on at Lebanon is centered around keeping that kid and his dad as a coach.  Look, throwing a kid in an offense that passes a lot is one thing but developing that kid and teaching him how to correctly make reads and dissect a defense and understand the subtleties of playing that position is another thing.  Exactly who in this region is the quarterback whisperer?  It was Mance...he is gone.  My apologies to anyone at Honaker or Lebanon, but who there makes you think they will turn the kid into a D-1 prospect?  One dude has the prior experience of working with and developing QBs and look what RV did to him.  

At this point the kid is already behind his fellow QBs.  He hasn't worked with good speed WRs...so timing is already poor.  He doesn't see man/press coverage so he has zero experience throwing against man or even reading if the defense is in man.  He certainly hasn't seen disguised coverages nor has been given read/check down authority in a game. Every QB at the 4A and above level has already seen this.  And most of them have a dedicated QB coach.  If the goal is for pops to coach his kid......that's a bad strategy.  If the goal is to have his kid developed.....there really is only one dude around the area that has that resume. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

I think every team needs a dedicated QB coach who knows how to develop them and maximize a kid’s potential. Nothing against Graham’s staff but I wish they had the one with the resumè that you speak of which I have no clue who that is but I wish the GMen had one.

6 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think every team needs a dedicated QB coach who knows how to develop them and maximize a kid’s potential. Nothing against Graham’s staff but I wish they had the one with the resumè that you speak of which I have no clue who that is but I wish the GMen had one.

How many guys qualified to coach/teach QB's are available in the whole state? Especially when you consider many would have to be classroom teachers also. Given what teachers earn these days, with the added pressures of dealing with Facebook politics surrounding our screwed up education system, I couldn't imagine that number would be very high. Single digits? Maybe a dozen? 

37 minutes ago, sixcat said:

How many guys qualified to coach/teach QB's are available in the whole state? Especially when you consider many would have to be classroom teachers also. Given what teachers earn these days, with the added pressures of dealing with Facebook politics surrounding our screwed up education system, I couldn't imagine that number would be very high. Single digits? Maybe a dozen? 

I’m not saying it’s a realistic expectation I’m just saying it would be real nice if everybody had one. I honestly don’t know how some of these guys coach with the stuff they have to put up with but kudos to them for sticking with it. It has to be because they love the game and love kids.  As far as teachers, there’s a reason they’re leaving the profession in droves, and there’s a shortage. If I was a person with school-age children, I’d seriously consider homeschooling them.

12 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’m not saying it’s a realistic expectation I’m just saying it would be real nice if everybody had one. I honestly don’t know how some of these guys coach with the stuff they have to put up with but kudos to them for sticking with it. It has to be because they love the game and love kids.  As far as teachers, there’s a reason they’re leaving the profession in droves, and there’s a shortage. If I was a person with school-age children, I’d seriously consider homeschooling them.

The teacher shortage we see today will bleed into the coaching ranks in a few more years. We have never steered our kids into any specific direction. Provided them with as many avenues as possible to help them choose their path. A few professions we hoped they would avoid. Teaching was one of them. 

21 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

20 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

I don’t think it’s Wicks. 

The man being referenced above is Edwards at Castlewood, formerly worked under Tiller at Ridgeview, I'm pretty certain.

1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

The man being referenced above is Edwards at Castlewood, formerly worked under Tiller at Ridgeview, I'm pretty certain.

I'm just saying I don't think Wicks is the pick because someone else mentioned his name. I think Shane is pretty happy in Honaker. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I'm just saying I don't think Wicks is the pick because someone else mentioned his name. I think Shane is pretty happy in Honaker. 

Not saying he officially had the job. I just heard that it was confirmed that he had put his name in for the job

On 1/26/2024 at 10:52 AM, Stelley said:

Not saying he officially had the job. I just heard that it was confirmed that he had put his name in for the job

I’ve heard Wicks pulled out. Makes me think he knows Reese is gone

13 hours ago, FactChecker2022 said:

Seems like you’d want a defensive guy as the head coach if you know the dad is going to be calling plays for the offense 

Unless the dad has been coaching for years before the kid got to high school it’s always a slippery slope letting daddy call of offense.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

Ive heard about 10 applications.  Mostly local assistants and a couple of NC. Dont know much detail wise though.

Also heard it was 10-15. Majority local guys but there’s guys from Allegheny down to nc and all the way over into elizabethon

• 3 weeks later...

Just got news that an assistant coach from Castlewood got this job. I don’t understand why they would hire another local guy when they had so much interest from guys out of state

40 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Just got news that an assistant coach from Castlewood got this job. I don’t understand why they would hire another local guy when they had so much interest from guys out of state

The real question is does Reece stay or go? 

4 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

The real question is does Reece stay or go? 

The first thing I heard after I was told he got the job was that “the Reeces liked him.” So I figure he will

3 hours ago, Stelley said:

The first thing I heard after I was told he got the job was that “the Reeces liked him.” So I figure he will

On this board, we often discus how kids today are just different than they were in previous generations. I don't think anyone here will argue against that point.

The same can be said for the adults in the room. Which is something we rarely, if ever, discuss. Could you imagine for a second, administrators interviewing Phil Robbins, Joel Hicks, Willis White, Norm Lineburg, or Robert Casto based on the whims of a 16 year old kid and his overzealous father?

9 minutes ago, sixcat said:

On this board, we often discus how kids today are just different than they were in previous generations. I don't think anyone here will argue against that point.

The same can be said for the adults in the room. Which is something we rarely, if ever, discuss. Could you imagine for a second, administrators interviewing Phil Robbins, Joel Hicks, Willis White, Norm Lineburg, or Robert Casto based on the whims of a 16 year old kid and his overzealous father?

well in the past there wasn't an open transfer portal like they are today.  lots of parents out there today believe their kid is going to be that D1 superstar when in reality its prob more like 1 in 5,000 in SWVA.

4 minutes ago, stan.the.man said:

well in the past there wasn't an open transfer portal like they are today.  lots of parents out there today believe their kid is going to be that D1 superstar when in reality its prob more like 1 in 5,000 in SWVA.

Would any of those old-school legendary coaches have cared if the transfer portal existed back then? Most of those old-school legends could beat you with theirs or turn around and beat theirs with yours. 

Not to mention, they weren't being hired based on what the 16 year old QB wanted. 

25 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Would any of those old-school legendary coaches have cared if the transfer portal existed back then? Most of those old-school legends could beat you with theirs or turn around and beat theirs with yours. 

Not to mention, they weren't being hired based on what the 16 year old QB wanted. 

I am sure there were a few transfers back in the day!!!  it just wasn't as big a deal

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

These are great examples on how things and people have changed. My best guess to this would be “depends upon how good” and “yes”.  
I don’t believe they would have caved as easily, but primarily because they were mostly good coaches in good situations. There may be an outlier or two, but for the most part, I believe they generally had the talent already there on successful teams. 
For example, if I already have a Thomas and/or Julius Jones on winning teams, I don’t have to work too hard to keep them or add talent. The coaches deserve credit for building the successful programs, though. I do believe they were already sought out for their success. Willis White had a reputation for getting the best talent in the Roanoke area, not simply what was within the Salem city limits. Just my two cents, based on an incomplete perception.