Taylor stepping down at Lebanon

1inStripes

51 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Just saw a tweet from Andrew McClung that Lebanon will begin the search for a new football coach.   

Seems to be that he did that for Lebanons core sophomore class. Numerous rumors were circulating that 2-3 of Lebanons sophomores were going to transfer if he stayed. Sorry Richlands fans but it looks that Reece will be staying

19 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Seems to be that he did that for Lebanons core sophomore class. Numerous rumors were circulating that 2-3 of Lebanons sophomores were going to transfer if he stayed. Sorry Richlands fans but it looks that Reece will be staying

Kinda sad that a grown man essentially lost his jobs because of the opinion of kids that can barely drive

3 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Kinda sad that a grown man essentially lost his jobs because of the opinion of kids that can barely drive

From my understanding it wasn’t just the sophomore class. Heard numerous rumors that Lebanons senior class (which has a ton of athletes in basketball and baseball) didn’t play because the coach had a history of getting his players hurt.

2 minutes ago, Stelley said:

From my understanding it wasn’t just the sophomore class. Heard numerous rumors that Lebanons senior class (which has a ton of athletes in basketball and baseball) didn’t play because the coach had a history of getting his players hurt.

Probably still has that old school mentality but if that was a problem I get it.

So with you being a Lebanon guy what is your opinion on the football job? It has got to be tough to coach at a place where football plays second fiddle to baseball and maybe even 3rd to basketball? They seem to do better in 1a than they have faired in 2a

37 minutes ago, Stelley said:

History of getting his players hurt? Seriously?

Exactly how did the guy have the power to get someone hurt? Much less numerous people?

Sounds like a bunch of spoiled babies to me

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

History of getting his players hurt? Seriously?

Exactly how did the guy have the power to get someone hurt? Much less numerous people?

Sounds like a bunch of spoiled babies to me

Look don’t shoot the messenger just telling you all the things I’ve heard. But playing guys who are already hurt. They could have had a decent season if it wasn’t for everyone not being able to play the rest of the season (think there was a total of 11 players out for the year and almost half were during practice). Not saying that’s on him at all. It’s just super unattractive to all of the other athletes at the school when they walk in each day and one of their buddies is hurt.

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Probably still has that old school mentality but if that was a problem I get it.

So with you being a Lebanon guy what is your opinion on the football job? It has got to be tough to coach at a place where football plays second fiddle to baseball and maybe even 3rd to basketball? They seem to do better in 1a than they have faired in 2a

Don’t exactly know the most about lebanon football (mainly just baseball and basketball) so I just primarily go off what most of the athletes talk about. the only two names that I’ve heard about getting the job (even right after football ended) was one of the coordinators from honaker and the dc from Richlands. All I know was that ever since the 2000s started the football program has went tremendously down hill and Lebanon started to become a baseball powerhouse and a contender in basketball (odd that almost double the amount of people show up for games just to watch them get killed when in the other two sports they win more games in one season than the football team has in two decades). Should be a decently attractive job for anyone in the area with a community who is hungry for football. Probably a qb who has the most arm talent in the area and a solid group of rising upperclassmen. The only thing I’d like to see is for him to convince all of the baseball and basketball stars to come out.

8 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Don’t exactly know the most about lebanon football (mainly just baseball and basketball) so I just primarily go off what most of the athletes talk about. the only two names that I’ve heard about getting the job (even right after football ended) was one of the coordinators from honaker and the dc from Richlands. All I know was that ever since the 2000s started the football program has went tremendously down hill and Lebanon started to become a baseball powerhouse and a contender in basketball (odd that almost double the amount of people show up for games just to watch them get killed when in the other two sports they win more games in one season than the football team has in two decades). Should be a decently attractive job for anyone in the area with a community who is hungry for football. Probably a qb who has the most arm talent in the area and a solid group of rising upperclassmen. The only thing I’d like to see is for him to convince all of the baseball and basketball stars to come out.

If the truth is that players weren’t going to play if Taylor remained the coach, the truth is they don’t love the sport. Anyone would be crazy to look at this situation and want to be the next guy the players didn’t want to play for “because he gets them hurt”. I don’t even know the guy but that’s ridiculous. I can remember a time when Lebanon actually had a legit program, (I played vs them in the 1990 Semis when they dropped to 1A D2), and those guys were in no way soft and their commitment to the sport was unquestionable. If Lebanon ever want to be at that level again, it will take a change in the players, not in the coach.

26 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Look don’t shoot the messenger just telling you all the things I’ve heard. But playing guys who are already hurt. They could have had a decent season if it wasn’t for everyone not being able to play the rest of the season (think there was a total of 11 players out for the year and almost half were during practice). Not saying that’s on him at all. It’s just super unattractive to all of the other athletes at the school when they walk in each day and one of their buddies is hurt.

Injuries will happen during football. Proper weight training and conditioning can reduce that number but never completely eliminate them. I can see frustration surrounding a coach if he hasn't implemented a proper training routine. With that said, the kids have to buy-in and participate. Weight training and conditioning isn't something you can fake and make in relation to football. 

I know a few programs where a proper training program was in place but only a handful of kids participated on a regular basis, which ultimately hurt the team. A couple of those instances, coaches were blamed by the community but the coaching staff can't force kids to participate. It almost always comes back to "want to" on the part of the kids in the school system. Reading between the lines, it sounds like maybe there is some of that going on here.

1 minute ago, sup_rbeast said:

If the truth is that players weren’t going to play if Taylor remained the coach, the truth is they don’t love the sport..

They were going to play. Just not at Lebanon.

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Injuries will happen during football. Proper weight training and conditioning can reduce that number but never completely eliminate them. I can see frustration surrounding a coach if he hasn't implemented a proper training routine. With that said, the kids have to buy-in and participate. Weight training and conditioning isn't something you can fake and make in relation to football. 

I know a few programs where a proper training program was in place but only a handful of kids participated on a regular basis, which ultimately hurt the team. A couple of those instances, coaches were blamed by the community but the coaching staff can't force kids to participate. It almost always comes back to "want to" on the part of the kids in the school system. Reading between the lines, it sounds like maybe there is some of that going on here.

Agree with you on this. The kids have to have a “want to” factor. But some kids are just out there to be with their buddies and joke around the whole time. You can look at the baseball team which is almost always on the field 365 days out of the year. The basketball team usually is even playing in the summer. Meanwhile the football team only has a handful of players even coming to workouts. Starting a dynasty program requires a couple of things. Great coach and solid group of close athletes.

2 hours ago, Stelley said:

. the only two names that I’ve heard about getting the job (even right after football ended) was one of the coordinators from honaker and the dc from Richlands. 

Is that coordinator from Honaker Wicks? I feel like he would have been more interested in Richlands job. Idk who the DC at Richlands was but they struggled on that side of the ball. I’m not always saying that’s the coordinator fault sometimes they have to roll with what the HC says. Regardless who ever gets this job needs to make a phone call to the Reese family to make sure he stays put

3 hours ago, Stelley said:

Who are the coordinators from Honaker and Richlands?

1 hour ago, Blue Tornado said:

Who are the coordinators from Honaker and Richlands?

Last year at Richlands wasn’t the Breeding & Compton (son not dad)? I seem to recall from another thread them being mentioned. Someone else might know for sure. 

On 1/15/2024 at 4:52 PM, Stelley said:

They were going to play. Just not at Lebanon.

On 1/15/2024 at 4:57 PM, Stelley said:

Agree with you on this. The kids have to have a “want to” factor. But some kids are just out there to be with their buddies and joke around the whole time. You can look at the baseball team which is almost always on the field 365 days out of the year. The basketball team usually is even playing in the summer. Meanwhile the football team only has a handful of players even coming to workouts. Starting a dynasty program requires a couple of things. Great coach and solid group of close athletes.

Edited by Fan
I no longer want to be apart of this conversation.

19 hours ago, Stelley said:

From my understanding it wasn’t just the sophomore class. Heard numerous rumors that Lebanons senior class (which has a ton of athletes in basketball and baseball) didn’t play because the coach had a history of getting his 

19 hours ago, Stelley said:

Edited by Fan

14 hours ago, Stelley said:

If the kids aren't willing to put the work in for football, baseball and basketball is all they will have. Football just isn't a seasonal sport anymore. Without exception, the teams that play in December are the teams working in March.

9 hours ago, Fan said:

They have no loyalty then. Sad day when a good man gets run off because a few kids aren’t going to play.  Hope they never want to play in college because parents mean nothing and don’t have a say.  This all stems from parents, not kids. 

They should be focused on one sport the sport they are currently playing. Otherwise they aren’t giving 100% to any sport.  Aren’t some basketball players playing in a football league right now?   That shouldn’t be allowed. Again no loyalty. These aren’t true athletes when they lack that much care for their community and teammates.  

Is he a good man? Yes. Is he a good coach? Meh. Agree with you tho on that it all starts with the parents. But don’t think I agree that they need to focus on the sport they’re playing. Should it always come first? Absolutely. But those few that are playing in that league are the ones who do have the want to factor. Same goes for the handful on the basketball team that go down and throw and hit a bit with the baseball team before going back up for practice. Sports are a year long thing nowadays and if you want to be an elite player then you need to constantly stay working at whichever sport it may be no matter the season.

11 hours ago, RoundBall1982 said:

If anyone knows anything about what's happened in Russell county the past couple of years, then its obvious the next coach will be Mark Palmer.

That wouldn’t be a bad hire as far as football is concerned. I obviously don’t know what’s been going on in Russell County but Palmer is a knowledgeable football coach & if Lebanon QB stays and more come out to play, the Pioneers might move up the SWD ladder next season. I know others will disagree but as far as best overall QB (all aspects of the game) in SWD,  Reece is it. Give him some decent receivers, Lebanon will have a winning record next season. 

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

If the kids aren't willing to put the work in for football, baseball and basketball is all they will have. Football just isn't a seasonal sport anymore. Without exception, the teams that play in December are the teams working in March.

Or ones starting in January