WV Football Championships moving to Charleston

swva_fan

1 hour ago, bgibb said:

I just want to know who looked at the WVU and Marshall stadium's and said nope Charleston is where it's at. 

It’s about the atmosphere for the kids. Can’t fill that big of a stadium for high school state championships.

17 hours ago, bgibb said:

I just want to know who looked at the WVU and Marshall stadium's and said nope Charleston is where it's at. 

It is all about the package that each entity puts together. Obviously WVU has the Ace of Spades when it comes to a stadium. 95% of WV high school players would prefer the life experience of playing at WVU. Marshall is nice but it is not where WV players dream of playing. But you also have to show volunteers willing to fill hundreds of duties. You have to have corporate sponsors to provide meals, souvenirs, rooms, logistics, etc. Bluefield checks all the boxes except rooms and meals. This is why they tried to work with Princeton but Princeton really wasn't that interested because most of these businesses really aren't located in the city limits. Charleston checks all of the boxes. Morgantown and Huntington put in a bid to rotate the championships but all my information shows it was hastily put together and was lacking in details. 

The new director of the WVSSAC is from Charleston. The previous one is from Wheeling. When the last bidding was done four years ago the previous director openly admitted Bluefield's bid was a little better than Wheeling's but he was just comfortable with what Wheeling did and was keeping it there. No one else bid on the games four years ago except Bluefield and Wheeling.

Good choice.  Central Location and also, it is sometimes NOT always about the kids.  Sure, the game should be mostly about the kids, but......parents, fans, alums, administrators put in whole lot of work to make things happen as well and these people drive to the game, pay the hotel bill, pay the boosters, etc.  I'm certain the overwhelming majority of kids in WV would want to play at WVU, but again, in some instances, it's not just all about the kids and when money, finances, travel, support, planning, logistics come into play, it absolutely starts to bring those that are not kids into play.