State Playoffs Information

Gridiron60

Again, Gretna is not bad. Not saying Graham can't win, but should be a good game. I don't see Martinsville winning. They'll play good defense but they can be offensively challenged sometimes.

Martinsville will be a toss up I think.  Martinsville is very athletic and Va High doesn't see the amount of athleticism week in and week out in Region D other than Graham.  But, Va High is also just simply good.  Va High has not only really quick guys and athletic guys, but they move the ball well and are well coached, but they aren't going to simply out athlete Martinsville like they've been able to do for much of Region D other than Graham. I just give the nudge to them for not having to go on the road.  Gretna is very athletic and Graham is athletic, but I think Graham's youth and playing on the road that far from home in a gym they've never seen against a team that has all the momentum in winning their first region title (I think it's Gretna's first region title) and that will be too much to overcome in my opinion.

I have watched VA High multiple times this season and they are inconsistent to say the least. When they can get out and run for transition baskets, they are tough to beat. When a team can prevent that like Graham and I am guessing Martinsville, they are forced to become halfcourt players and shooters which is not their strength.  Losing Carpenter mid season took away one of their best shooters and that's where the current inconsistency comes in to play.   I am thinking this may be the end of the road for them.  

On the girls side of things, I see potential for many local teams to move on to the semifinals. 

In 1A, Eastside is on a roll right now and I think they will handle Fort Chiswell by 10+ and Honaker should be able to snap back from the loss to Eastside to get past a scrappy George Wythe team. 

As for 2A, Central should have no problem with Liberty Bedford. Ridgeview may have their hands full with Floyd County. Floyd has played well all season but I think this game will come down to how well they handle the defensive pressure that Ridgeview brings every game. 

In the 3A bracket, Abingdon pulled off back-to-back upsets over Lord Botetourt and Carroll County in order to host Turner Ashby.  If they continue with that type of play, they should be able to advance to the semifinals where they will likely have a rematch with Carroll County who should handle LCA.  

Once again, girls basketball in SWVA, especially region D, is loaded.

Martinsville has been good defensively all year. On offense they have 2 or 3 pretty decent shooters but do like to get out and run. I'm just thinking that with a 3 hour bus ride into hostile territory, it might be a little to much to ask the Dogs to come back with a win. Hopefully it will be a well played competitive game.

I watched Gretna on nfhs and pretty athletic and fast.  I don’t think very skilled basketball wise  and don’t handle pressure.  I could be wrong by film but graham should win if they come to play like they have last few games and close out qtrs unlike vs VA High Saturday night 

2 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

On the girls side of things, I see potential for many local teams to move on to the semifinals. 

In 1A, Eastside is on a roll right now and I think they will handle Fort Chiswell by 10+ and Honaker should be able to snap back from the loss to Eastside to get past a scrappy George Wythe team. 

As for 2A, Central should have no problem with Liberty Bedford. Ridgeview may have their hands full with Floyd County. Floyd has played well all season but I think this game will come down to how well they handle the defensive pressure that Ridgeview brings every game. 

In the 3A bracket, Abingdon pulled off back-to-back upsets over Lord Botetourt and Carroll County in order to host Turner Ashby.  If they continue with that type of play, they should be able to advance to the semifinals where they will likely have a rematch with Carroll County who should handle LCA.  

Once again, girls basketball in SWVA, especially region D, is loaded.

I understand Abingdon's wins being considered an upset based on seedings,  Abingdon dominated those 2 games!!!  Abingdon has a great shot at winning Tuesday but this is the state tourney and you don't count any team out!!!!

Class 1 Boys - GW and Auburn will roll Honaker and Chilhowie.

Class 2 Boys - VA - Martinsville is a toss-up. Gretna by a dozen over Graham.

Class 1 Girls - Eastside and Honaker in close games.

Class 2 Girls - Central will roll Liberty. Floyd - Ridgeview will be a battle but I'll take RV.

Class 3 Girls - Carroll beat LCA twice by 30+ last season but Carroll doesn't have the pieces they had last season. I still think Carroll wins in a much closer game. Abingdon will roll TA.

43 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Class 1 Boys - GW and Auburn will roll Honaker and Chilhowie.

Class 2 Boys - VA - Martinsville is a toss-up. Gretna by a dozen over Graham.

Class 1 Girls - Eastside and Honaker in close games.

Class 2 Girls - Central will roll Liberty. Floyd - Ridgeview will be a battle but I'll take RV.

Class 3 Girls - Carroll beat LCA twice by 30+ last season but Carroll doesn't have the pieces they had last season. I still think Carroll wins in a much closer game. Abingdon will roll TA.

I forgot to list the 1A boys but I agree with sixcat.  Honaker and Chilhowie should be no problem for GW and Auburn.  GW was impressive in the Arbys to kick off the season and the 4 OT game with Auburn tells me they are both locked in and ready for a rematch.

2 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

I forgot to list the 1A boys but I agree with sixcat.  Honaker and Chilhowie should be no problem for GW and Auburn.  GW was impressive in the Arbys to kick off the season and the 4 OT game with Auburn tells me they are both locked in and ready for a rematch.

Auburn and GW are really good teams. 

Region C vs. D is a tossup in my opinion.  Any one of the 4 could come out of it to be the sacrificial lamb against John Marshall

John Marshall had an average score of 105.3 - 44 in their regional tourney.... (looks like most points against them were scored in the 4th quarter)....

Here is a link to all of the tournament brackets and results from each region.  Gotta scroll way down to see state tourney brackets.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://matthewhatfield.com/Basketball/2023-24_Virginia_HighSchool_BasketballSchedules_Playoffs.pdf