State Semi Predictions All 4 Games

Boys

I think Honaker can beat Auburn. I'm picking Auburn, but Honaker won't be intimidated one bit and coming into the game thinking they can win. Auburn by 7 pts.

VH vs Graham. Just seems like Graham can't beat em in a close game. I'm going VH by 6. 

In girls, I'm going Central close over RV as Wise has been there and done that and I think that helps. RV can beat Wise, but I think Central Wise gets the w by 8.

Eastside and Honaker. Toss up. I have no clue. I'll go Eastside because of the previous win and their run last year having been there and done that. Eastside by 6.

30 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think Honaker can beat Auburn. I'm picking Auburn, but Honaker won't be intimidated one bit and coming into the game thinking they can win. Auburn by 7 pts.

These two teams are likely as evenly matched player for player as GW and Auburn. I was surprised at how Honaker was able to take it to GW the way they did. The difference in this game is coaching. Auburn has one of the best coaching staffs in Virginia regardless of classification. They wear you down early and pull away late. They don't miss free throws and shoot a ton of them. The coaching staff puts the opposing players in a position to have to make decisions. Over time, they adjust so that the opponent almost always makes the wrong decision. It leaves a lot of opposing players and coaches confused. Auburn always seems to play their game regardless of the opponent. I have never seen an opponent take Millirons out of what he wants to do. 

Nothing against the coaching staff at Honaker but Millirons and Company are elite. For Honaker to win, they will have to take Auburn out of what's comfortable for them. 

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

These two teams are likely as evenly matched player for player as GW and Auburn. I was surprised at how Honaker was able to take it to GW the way they did. The difference in this game is coaching. Auburn has one of the best coaching staffs in Virginia regardless of classification. They wear you down early and pull away late. They don't miss free throws and shoot a ton of them. The coaching staff puts the opposing players in a position to have to make decisions. Over time, they adjust so that the opponent almost always makes the wrong decision. It leaves a lot of opposing players and coaches confused. Auburn always seems to play their game regardless of the opponent. I have never seen an opponent take Millirons out of what he wants to do. 

Nothing against the coaching staff at Honaker but Millirons and Company are elite. For Honaker to win, they will have to take Auburn out of what's comfortable for them. 

This game should favor auburn. GW should have also beat honaker. The only difference is that honaker shoots ridiculously from three In their two games that they’ve played at Lebanon this year it feels like theyve made the same amount of threes as they did all year at their home gym. Leb is a unique gym with such a large backdrop behind the goals. I feel like it was messing with every single GW player other than the kirtner kid

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Boys

VH vs Graham. Just seems like Graham can't beat em in a close game. I'm going VH by 6. 

In girls, I'm going Central close over RV as Wise has been there and done that and I think that helps. RV can beat Wise, but I think Central Wise gets the w by 8.

Eastside and Honaker. Toss up. I have no clue. I'll go Eastside because of the previous win and their run last year having been there and done that. Eastside by 6.

I hope your prediction proves wrong 😂

9 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I hope your prediction proves wrong 😂

All 4 could be wrong and no surprise to me. They can all go either way. Honaker over Auburn would be the only surprise to me, not a huge surprise, but a surprise because if Honaker got the W, it would mean back to back wins over GW and Auburn and nobody saw thst coming if it happens.  I don't even think Honaker fans would have figured that would happen.

1 hour ago, Stelley said:

Leb is a unique gym with such a large backdrop behind the goals. 

Auburn shouldn't be bothered by that. Their home gym has 50 plus feet of space between the wall and baseline. They also grow up playing at Blacksburg, which has 20 or so rows of bleachers behind the basket. 

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Auburn shouldn't be bothered by that. Their home gym has 50 plus feet of space between the wall and baseline. They also grow up playing at Blacksburg, which has 20 or so rows of bleachers behind the basket. 

I do believe that Lebanon's floor is full actual length as well!!!  lots of gym's in the area actually have non full length courts!!!  

50 minutes ago, stan.the.man said:

I do believe that Lebanon's floor is full actual length as well!!!  lots of gym's in the area actually have non full length courts!!!  

Auburn's gym is not 94 feet. High school courts are only required to be 84 feet, which most in this are are. That might be something of an advantage for Honaker and take Auburn a little bit to get used to but I doubt it has any meaningful impact on the outcome. I know the guys that designed the Montgomery County schools in the decade between 2005 and 2015. In the link below, click the image in the center of the page. The gym is the 5th slide.

https://www.gjhopkins.com/project/auburn-high-school-2/

50 minutes ago, stan.the.man said:

I haven't been there in years, but do remember it.  Also, looked it up on the net.  I remember the place holding a whole lot of people.  It doesn't have a second deck, but it's deceptive.  The single decks that it has on each side rises up very steep and tall, like......25 rows tall.  I found something a while back that said this gym actually holds 2500.  There's just a lot of space behind the basketball goals and there's no stands between the goal and the giant walls they have behind each goal.  A player even with a lot of space can have perhaps a little bit more perception if there are seats behind the goal, but Lebanon doesn't have that.  It's a really nice facility though.  

As for local high school gyms and regulations, I had no idea about the 84 feet thing until reading the posts above.  Makes sense.  When I was very, very young, I recall some gym in rural southern West Virginia in the coalfields my dad took me to for watching a game.  Northfork (was beating the hell) out of somebody, but the half court lines extended into the other teams 5 second line.  I know lots of gyms in the way back in the day use to be like this, especially in rural parts of the country.  A friend of mine from rural Western Kansas told me one time (he's older than me) that when he was in High School, they played a school where the roof of the gym was so low in the corners that you couldn't shoot from the side of the basket far, far back near the out of bounds line because the ball would hit the roof, and the home team knew this, so they would freely let the opposing player drive to the deep corner of the baseline and play off him by about 10 feet.

37 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I haven't been there in years, but do remember it.  Also, looked it up on the net.  I remember the place holding a whole lot of people.  It doesn't have a second deck, but it's deceptive.  The single decks that it has on each side rises up very steep and tall, like......25 rows tall.  I found something a while back that said this gym actually holds 2500.  There's just a lot of space behind the basketball goals and there's no stands between the goal and the giant walls they have behind each goal.  A player even with a lot of space can have perhaps a little bit more perception if there are seats behind the goal, but Lebanon doesn't have that.  It's a really nice facility though.  

As for local high school gyms and regulations, I had no idea about the 84 feet thing until reading the posts above.  Makes sense.  When I was very, very young, I recall some gym in rural southern West Virginia in the coalfields my dad took me to for watching a game.  Northfork (was beating the hell) out of somebody, but the half court lines extended into the other teams 5 second line.  I know lots of gyms in the way back in the day use to be like this, especially in rural parts of the country.  A friend of mine from rural Western Kansas told me one time (he's older than me) that when he was in High School, they played a school where the roof of the gym was so low in the corners that you couldn't shoot from the side of the basket far, far back near the out of bounds line because the ball would hit the roof, and the home team knew this, so they would freely let the opposing player drive to the deep corner of the baseline and play off him by about 10 feet.

Old Montcalm gym was smallest I ever saw. It was a cracker box.

I have not visited any of the gyms that have been mentioned so how do all of these gyms compare to chilhowie? And I know Lebanons bleachers aren’t the most comfortable in the world and everyone will be complaining about it on Friday. Good news for you is that they are getting new bleachers as soon as they can. Originally they were going to be put in as soon as basketball was over so that they would be in by the time graduation rolled around (also pretty sure Leb is one of the few gyms that can actually hold graduation in the gym). Then they got the news that they would have to host for a neutral site so now it’s looking like their senior class will be graduating on the football field that stays in horrible condition. During halftime I would go out in the lobby and look at all of Lebanons team pictures hanging up on the walls, that’s probably my favorite part of the Mecca is that it’s a museum as well

I thought GW athleticism would be what got them past Honaker, but Honaker can shoot the lights out and defensively they're one of the best high school teams I've ever watched. I won't be surprised if they move on!

51 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

I thought GW athleticism would be what got them past Honaker, but Honaker can shoot the lights out and defensively they're one of the best high school teams I've ever watched. I won't be surprised if they move on!

Honaker is easily the biggest and most physical team in the state as well. Honaker doesn’t shoot as good as they did against GW. Those boys have played in Lebanons gym their whole life so they are used to it. I knew when everyone was saying that gw should easily beat hon that they weren’t thinking about where they are playing. I’ve heard that auburn is even more athletic than gw so I do think that auburn is probably favored by 7-9 points. Still wouldn’t be totally shocked if Auburn blew honaker out of the water

1 hour ago, Stelley said:

Honaker is easily the biggest and most physical team in the state as well. Honaker doesn’t shoot as good as they did against GW. Those boys have played in Lebanons gym their whole life so they are used to it. I knew when everyone was saying that gw should easily beat hon that they weren’t thinking about where they are playing. I’ve heard that auburn is even more athletic than gw so I do think that auburn is probably favored by 7-9 points. Still wouldn’t be totally shocked if Auburn blew honaker out of the water

If you watch Auburn in warmups, they have 5 different players that dunk the basketball.  It's kind of alarming for a Class 1 school.  I'm not saying that having 5 kids that dunk the ball in warm ups makes you a good team, but it's different for sure.  They are athletic and have some hops.

I don't think VH and Graham are on NFHS.  I looked for it and there's no listing of this game as of this AM at 0745.   John Marshall is on NFHS, but instead of listed as playing Bruton, they are listed as playing Burton.......as in....John I Burton.  JI Burton is going to have a tough matchup tonight.  I pick Burton to win.

42 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I don't think VH and Graham are on NFHS.  I looked for it and there's no listing of this game as of this AM at 0745.   John Marshall is on NFHS, but instead of listed as playing Bruton, they are listed as playing Burton.......as in....John I Burton.  JI Burton is going to have a tough matchup tonight.  I pick Burton to win.

If you search "VHSL" it shows the game and all of the other playoff games.