Daniel Jennings to Princeton

Graham32

38 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Princeton may have an easier time of it than Bluefield then. Yeah, their middle school team was tough this year. 

The seniors that are graduating this year from Bluefield had a very good Middle school team, doesn't always translate.  They beat Graham 56-0 as 8th graders

5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The seniors that are graduating this year from Bluefield had a very good Middle school team, doesn't always translate.  They beat Graham 56-0 as 8th graders

Very true…a lot of factors in play from middle until they reach juniors/seniors, not always transitive for sure. 

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Guys you know how this works, out of State transfers are inmediately eligible with a corresponding move into the attendance zone with a legal parent or guardian, it's not rocket science.   

You are correct. That is the rule. 

I was responding to someone who said Clements situation was the same as Jennings. It wasn’t. 

19 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

A strong emotional component along with the time of the announcement (middle of the school yr and not the end of the school yr) leads one to believe that there has been some type of event, a one or two time event related to school that quickly and emotionally led to that announcement. This is my opinion. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Hunh -- a one or two time event.  Sounds like you know what's what behind the scenes...

The 2 big question I wonder with Jennings leaving;

1) Who does he take with him? Usually kids don't transfer one at a time, they like to have a buddy or two go with them so it is easier transition. I would say the Fix kid would be one candidate, someone said his dad is a coach at Princeton.

2) Is something going on behind the scenes at Graham, any type of trouble. That program plays for state titles every other year, so why would a kid who is a starter and big time player up and leave? Could be as simple as it being across from his doorstep, but could be something else?

I don’t know the specifics, but reclassification really makes Princeton an attractive destination. Now, it becomes significantly easier to win a state title at Princeton than even Graham. 
Under the new realignment, Princeton becomes the 5th largest of 30 schools to compete for a state title. Graham is one of the smallest schools out of nearly 50 to win a title in Virginia.
Graham has likely benefited from their neighbors’ misfortunes, partly due to Princeton’s enrollment and lack of success. Princeton has recently enjoyed an impressive record in recent years, but just couldn’t overcome much larger schools. Now, Princeton is sort of a big fish in a small pond now with some good talent to draw in the greater Mercer/McDowell/Tazewell County areas.

See the Honaker location in another thread for a good comparison.

Richlands and Lebanon misfortune (both record and Lebanon’s move up in classification) helps contribute to this other group of Tigers success in Class 1.

I got all the respect in the world for Princetons coach. I'm biased because he's also a Christian. But, we still got to keep stuff in perspective here guys. Princeton had never advanced past the 2nd game of the playoffs until last year and until last year, had only been to the 2nd game of the playoffs just a few times in its history. 

Yes, a solid team last year, but the stars and moon aligned to where there were crazy upsets in round 1 and 2 that allowed them to somehow play at home in playoff games 2 and 3 before playing the state title game which is game 4 in WV. Princeton was supposed to travel in games 2 and then game 3 if there wouldn't have been pretty decent size upsets which both happened.

Princeton lost a kid to WV and one to Air Force. They lost 2 Div 1 players. They will be good again, but Princeton with this current run is only like 3 years deep. There's still no indication that they are completely over the hump and now in the realm of a powerhouse program.  Jury is still out on them. I tend to think they keep trending up, but history is NOT on my side at all. History would say otherwise, but history is a weak predictor. The coach they have is incredible, on and off the field, but I truly believe the jury is still out. 

27 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I got all the respect in the world for Princetons coach. I'm biased because he's also a Christian. But, we still got to keep stuff in perspective here guys. Princeton had never advanced past the 2nd game of the playoffs until last year and until last year, had only been to the 2nd game of the playoffs just a few times in its history. 

Yes, a solid team last year, but the stars and moon aligned to where there were crazy upsets in round 1 and 2 that allowed them to somehow play at home in playoff games 2 and 3 before playing the state title game which is game 4 in WV. Princeton was supposed to travel in games 2 and then game 3 if there wouldn't have been pretty decent size upsets which both happened.

Princeton lost a kid to WV and one to Air Force. They lost 2 Div 1 players. They will be good again, but Princeton with this current run is only like 3 years deep. There's still no indication that they are completely over the hump and now in the realm of a powerhouse program.  Jury is still out on them. I tend to think they keep trending up, but history is NOT on my side at all. History would say otherwise, but history is a weak predictor. The coach they have is incredible, on and off the field, but I truly believe the jury is still out. 

Everything you said is true. 

But other than the D1 seniors that you mentioned Princeton only had a couple more than actually contributed. 

They’ll be returning the majority of starters next season and will have the benefit of a much more even playing field in the playoffs. 

Bluefield/Princeton/Graham have been sharing kids around for years with Princeton usually coming up on the shorter end of all of the moves.

However, Princeton has gotten the better of Bluefield over the last few years. That helps them from losing kids to Bluefield & with a kid of Jennings’ caliber leaving Graham to go back to Princeton I’d imagine that will hurt the Princeton —-> Graham pipeline.

Now they have the benefit of having a young energetic coach, multiple kids playing division 1 and a taste of success. And finally it seemed like the community has really rallied behind them. Hunnicutt is a big stadium and they were filling up the home stands. 

Usually I would be on your side on all of this but I believe Princeton has had the perfect storm of events go their way in the last 6 months. I’m weirdly optimistic that they have turned the corner. 

6 hours ago, RaiderNation said:

The 2 big question I wonder with Jennings leaving;

1) Who does he take with him? Usually kids don't transfer one at a time, they like to have a buddy or two go with them so it is easier transition. I would say the Fix kid would be one candidate, someone said his dad is a coach at Princeton.

2) Is something going on behind the scenes at Graham, any type of trouble. That program plays for state titles every other year, so why would a kid who is a starter and big time player up and leave? Could be as simple as it being across from his doorstep, but could be something else?

Fix is an outstanding soccer player.  He can't play both football and soccer in WV, because they are in the same season.  He gets the best of both worlds on the Virginia side.

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Everything you said is true. 

But other than the D1 seniors that you mentioned Princeton only had a couple more than actually contributed. 

They’ll be returning the majority of starters next season and will have the benefit of a much more even playing field in the playoffs. 

Bluefield/Princeton/Graham have been sharing kids around for years with Princeton usually coming up on the shorter end of all of the moves.

However, Princeton has gotten the better of Bluefield over the last few years. That helps them from losing kids to Bluefield & with a kid of Jennings’ caliber leaving Graham to go back to Princeton I’d imagine that will hurt the Princeton —-> Graham pipeline.

Now they have the benefit of having a young energetic coach, multiple kids playing division 1 and a taste of success. And finally it seemed like the community has really rallied behind them. Hunnicutt is a big stadium and they were filling up the home stands. 

Usually I would be on your side on all of this but I believe Princeton has had the perfect storm of events go their way in the last 6 months. I’m weirdly optimistic that they have turned the corner. 

This sums it up nicely and gives my post greater context.

Sometimes, timing is everything. No matter the past, reclassification is huge. 

Look no further than Riverheads. They are still successful with similar enrollments, but are unlikely to dominate as they did in Class 1/1A.The state finals appearance last season was something to be proud of, but not a foregone conclusion of a title as it became in 1A. 
Princeton SHOULD compete annually, especially not facing juggernauts such as Martinsburg.

Princeton should definitely compete. I looked at the WV reclass system and counted 30 total AAA schools, so right off the bat 1 in 30 teams win a title and 1 in 15 teams will at least play for a state title.  The Tigers still have to contend with the likes of Fairmont Senior who moved up from AA and Herbert Hoover, Point Pleasant, etc. Interestingly, I see where Independence moves up to AAA. The Beavers stay AA. Princeton has a golden opportunity to do big things.  Teams like Hurricane, Morgantown, Parkersburg and Parkersburg South, Martinsburg are now rightfully in AAAA.

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I don’t know the landscape of WV football but I do know they have a great coach! Coach Taylor is absolutely a class act. He cares about the kids and does a great job spreading the word which is something that is lost in this day and age of high school sports. What other coach would wear a shirt with a bible verse on in during the playoffs instead of the school colors! That tells me that he care more about what happens in these kids life’s long after that clock hits zero of that last game. I would want my son to play for a guy like that over a coach that wins multiple state championship but the kids get nothing out of it. Princeton will be winners as long as he is heading up that program regardless of what their record is. 

12 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I don’t know the landscape of WV football but I do know they have a great coach! Coach Taylor is absolutely a class act. He cares about the kids and does a great job spreading the word which is something that is lost in this day and age of high school sports. What other coach would wear a shirt with a bible verse on in during the playoffs instead of the school colors! That tells me that he care more about what happens in these kids life’s long after that clock hits zero of that last game. I would want my son to play for a guy like that over a coach that wins multiple state championship but the kids get nothing out of it. Princeton will be winners as long as he is heading up that program regardless of what their record is. 

Bam!  No doubt Jags52.  In addition to his character, dude is impressive on the offensive side of the ball.  Princeton had some great talent, but they didn't have superior overall talent in games 2 which was the quarterfinals and game 3 (semifinals) of the playoffs.  Those teams had just as much or more across the board, and Princeton out schemed them offensively.  Those defenses were on their heels from the opening kickoff.  When you get a great coach who is good in the leadership and character and logistics/organizational leadership department and you add to that the game of chess/his ability to separate himself x's and o's wise on the field, you get dangerous teams that do lots more winning than losing.  What you get is those 50-50 type games where the talent is equal or comparable and more times than not, it's that x's and o's/chess game mastery that puts the one opponent over the other in outcome.  I watched Princeton play Bluefield up there and I was amazed at how many people Princeton brought.  There home side is very, very big, appears to hold about 3,000 to 3,200 and they packed it.  

16 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Princeton should definitely compete. I looked at the WV reclass system and counted 30 total AAA schools, so right off the bat 1 in 30 teams win a title and 1 in 15 teams will at least play for a state title.  The Tigers still have to contend with the likes of Fairmont Senior who moved up from AA and Herbert Hoover, Point Pleasant, etc. Interestingly, I see where Independence moves up to AAA. The Beavers stay AA. Princeton has a golden opportunity to do big things.  Teams like Hurricane, Morgantown, Parkersburg and Parkersburg South, Martinsburg are now rightfully in AAAA.

Bridgeport is AAA. Fairmont and Bridgeport will be Princeton’s main competition in AAA.