Clinch Mountain Conference tournament

swva_havok_fan

Will the finals change venues if seeds hold true and it's union vs gate city?

I highly doubt it. Union changed venue to house more people for a better gate. GC could not care any less... Pack the gym and make the atmosphere nuts. If it is in fact GC/Union Friday might as well take the day off work and arrive at GCMS at noon for a seat. 

Looking at the rules, if I'm Battle, I'm PISSED.

Rules, from the conference handbook:

If number two thru seven are tied, following criteria will be used:

1-Head to head competition, all conference games.

2-Strength against team 1-7, ALL games will be used. (emphasis-mine)

3-Winning percentage against conference opponents. (This will include ALL tournaments except the district tournament) ((again caps are mine. Wise was 0-3 against Union, because the UVAW tourney counts now)

4-Winning percentage against conference opponents, all games will be used.

5-Decision of the seeding committee.

So, howjn the world does Central get the #3 ahead of Battle, when Battle had a better conference winning percentage? If you include all games, Battle was 6-6 against conference teams. Wise was 5-7. Battle beat Wise by 8, Wise beat Battle by 3. Wise lost to Lee High, Battle did not.

Battle got screwed, simple as that.

I agree that JSB was shafted. But then again it's better for GC that way we dodge Wise Central's bull crap.

And GC won't move the game. They won the regular season and that means you get to host the tournament. GC wants the home court advantage and rather have 2,000 people crammed into the Devils' Den rather than have 2,000 people spread out like they were at UVA-Wise. To be honest the atmosphere at GC was 10 times better than it was at UVA-Wise.

I agree that JSB was shafted. But then again it's better for GC that way we dodge Wise Central's bull crap.

And GC won't move the game. They won the regular season and that means you get to host the tournament. GC wants the home court advantage and rather have 2,000 people crammed into the Devils' Den rather than have 2,000 people spread out like they were at UVA-Wise. To be honest the atmosphere at GC was 10 times better than it was at UVA-Wise.

Yeah and stick us with it LOL. Union has progressively beat Wise by more as the season went on, so it's not as if Union got hurt any more than it's tough to beat a team four times but damn if I'm Battle, I'm LIVID. Now you're in GCs bracket when going by the rules, you should be the #3 and avoid them. I'd be surprised if Battle doesn't really make a mess of this and they should, I posted the tiebreaker scenarios straight from the conference handbook. I don't see how it could possibly fall to the committee voting, my understanding is that by at least the third tiebreaker JSB clearly has advantage.

If I'm wrong, can someone explain to me how this happened?

I personally wish they could settle it on the court ( which I know they couldn't do ) but even have it at a neutral location like GC since the tournament is held at GC. Then there would be nothing to it. I would like to see that but I know that couldn't happen

Has Battle been given any info on how this decision was made? It seems going by the predetermined tiebreakers that Battle has the better case for the #3 seed.

Looking at the rules, if I'm Battle, I'm PISSED.

Rules, from the conference handbook:

If number two thru seven are tied, following criteria will be used:

1-Head to head competition, all conference games.

2-Strength against team 1-7, ALL games will be used. (emphasis-mine)

3-Winning percentage against conference opponents. (This will include ALL tournaments except the district tournament) ((again caps are mine. Wise was 0-3 against Union, because the UVAW tourney counts now)

4-Winning percentage against conference opponents, all games will be used.

5-Decision of the seeding committee.

So, howjn the world does Central get the #3 ahead of Battle, when Battle had a better conference winning percentage? If you include all games, Battle was 6-6 against conference teams. Wise was 5-7. Battle beat Wise by 8, Wise beat Battle by 3. Wise lost to Lee High, Battle did not.

Central won the tiebreaker at step #2.  Neither beat seeds 1 and 2, so going down the line to compare how each did against the next highest seed, #5 Lebanon, Battle lost to Lebanon once, and Central did not lose to Lebanon.

odd way too look at it, as a coach I would rather have the neutral court and prepare for a late season run. Senior night has come and gone it's tourney time. To each his own

Central won the tiebreaker at step #2. Neither beat seeds 1 and 2, so going down the line to compare how each did against the next highest seed, #5 Lebanon, Battle lost to Lebanon once, and Central did not lose to Lebanon.

It all comes down to how you define strength. I'm sure Battle argued 0-2 against Union was "stronger" than Central's 0-3.

To me, it's impossible to say winning percentage is what is implied on tiebreaker two when the actual verbiage is used on tiebreaker three.

Anytime you leave it up to a committee it's a mess. We've seen numerous odd occurrences through the years. This stuff really should be laid out for everyone to see like football is. I feel like these committees make up their own rules as it goes.

For what it's worth, I think Central should be the three seed by common sense on the Lebanon deal but, by how the rules are, it's impossible for them to be the two seed if you follow the rules.

It's sad for everyone involved that it's literally 24 hours before postseason play begins and the seeds aren't finalized.

odd way too look at it, as a coach I would rather have the neutral court and prepare for a late season run. Senior night has come and gone it's tourney time. To each his own

Only 3 more home games. Gotta make the most of them and have your hometown not travel 45 mins up the road for a HOME game. We'll worry about a neutral site in the regional tourney. For now, we won the CMC and earned the right to host, 100 seat gym or 10,000. I think it's stupid to want a neutral site when you have the advantage at home (like Union last week). A good team can win if it's on a playground or on the big stage at MSG. And anywhere GC goes, it won't be very "neutral" crowd wise anyways.

A) It doesn't matter. They will lose to Union or Gate City in round 2 of the tournament just like they did twice in the regular season.

B) If they took care of business by beating Wise Central on their home court then none of this would have taken place.

A) It doesn't matter. They will lose to Union or Gate City in round 2 of the tournament just like they did twice in the regular season.

B) If they took care of business by beating Wise Central on their home court then none of this would have taken place.

Fair point made. Most of the conference is upset bc Central is the 3 seed over Battle. Ball was literally in Battle's court and they laid an egg. They take care of business and win then they are the outright 3 seed. 

It all comes down to how you define strength. I'm sure Battle argued 0-2 against Union was "stronger" than Central's 0-3.

To me, it's impossible to say winning percentage is what is implied on tiebreaker two when the actual verbiage is used on tiebreaker three.

Anytime you leave it up to a committee it's a mess. We've seen numerous odd occurrences through the years. This stuff really should be laid out for everyone to see like football is. I feel like these committees make up their own rules as it goes.

For what it's worth, I think Central should be the three seed by common sense on the Lebanon deal but, by how the rules are, it's impossible for them to be the two seed if you follow the rules.

It's sad for everyone involved that it's literally 24 hours before postseason play begins and the seeds aren't finalized.

It is laid out in the handbook that was posted on here.  For tiebreaker #1, the teams split, so you go to tiebreaker #2.  Central wins at tiebreaker #2 because Battle lost to Lebanon and Central didn't (neither of them beat GC or Union, so you compare how they did to the next highest seed, which is #5 Lebanon).  The rest of the tiebreakers do not come into play.

I understand that but you and the committee are taking strength and winning percentage to mean the same thing when that wording is different on different tiebreakers. At the least, it's poorly worded. It's left it open for controversy which is evidenced by the fact they had to have this meeting.

Lost to Union three times. Beating any team four times is a very tough thing to do.

And if Wise hadn't lost to a bad Lee team, none of this comes into play