Congrats Richlands

battleftbl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to the Blues! Looked liked it was going to be a thriller at first, then the Blues turned on the burners and torched the field!

Also, how about Martinsville's band? They were great!!!

Congrats to the Blues on a great win last night ! Good luck to the other SWVA teams that won last night also !

Their band was the best high school band I have seen in a while ! Sounded like a college band.

Following video shows highlights (midway) of Richlands, (Bradley Strong and Devon Johnson) Gate City and Chilhowie games

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2010/nov/19/greeneville-and-elizabethton-advance-semi-finals-ar-665956/

Following is article in BHC about Richlands/Martinsville game. The Martinsville coach gives "kudos/high praise" to the Richlands team.

PREP FOOTBALL: Richlands crushes Martinsville

Blues offense bombs Bulldogs in Region IV, Division 3 semifinals

By Allen Gregory

Published: November 20, 2010

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2010/nov/20/prep-football-richlands-crushes-martinsville-ar-665987/

quote from Cave spring coach after Grundy game when asked about richlands

"We've seen a little of them," Anderson said. "They're a solid team. Some people say that they're unbeaten only because they play in a weak conference. But if you look at the points they're scoring, I don't think they're too weak."

Martinsville band was fantastic. They had the best horn and drum sections I have ever heard in a high school band. That said-The team was very immature and not much character displayed. A large portion of thier team reminded me of one of our players, a big bonehead at times which acts like a 2 year old with a dirty diaper. They have a good team and if they are as young as I have read then they should be very good next few years. Really quick and got some playmakers. they just need a little discipline to improve. Congratulations to both teams: Richlands for moving on to next week to face a very good Cave Spring team for a rematch of last year's game and to Martinsville for reaching the playoffs after a slow start. Next week should be a heck of a game in Richlands. If you are a football fan and do not have any urgent plans then come see what should be a great game between two good teams. I know I will be.

Edited by Gizmo777

Way to go Blues!

I agree that Martinsville's Band was awesome and sounded like a college band! Even their school song! Cheerleaders were part of the band too...I've not seen that before??? Thanks to them for a great halftime show!

I saw the remark from Cave Spring's coach....kinda comical! I just wonder why Roanoke paper didn't have anything about our game??(If they did I missed it) I betcha if we had lost it would have a been headline news item??? I betcha!!!!

Boys next time the other team starts trashmouthing you...say nothing , Smile at them then get up and start towards the refs. You'll look classy and they will shut up unless they want thrown out of the game. That will irritate them more than saying something back! I betcha!

Next week CROWN THE KNIGHTS!!!!

Their band was the best high school band I have seen in a while ! Sounded like a college band.

That's exactly what I said. Glad they played the halftime show as I had a front and center seat on the bench.

I had heard when listening to the Marion/Martinville game as to how good their band was. They lived up to their billing.

I really like the upbeat tempo for halftime shows.

Really a great show for the Blue fans.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Bradley Strong showed why he should be Group AA player of the year! Jack Vance and Colton Staten looked like they could start for most teams at TB. Martinsville Band just scored a perfect 10! Richlands will be the place to be next friday!

Bradley has been very impressive this year and should be strongly considered for this honor. He has stuck out on a team with many great players and stepped up at a critical time last night. Great players step up at critical times.

I think its great that the coach said in the bhc that he thougbht we where better than brookville and magna vista that says a lot we should put as much as we can on cave spring they tried their best to do just that last year go blues

As an Alum of our band, I believe their band was absolutely CLASSLESS!!! Playing the fight song while there was a moment of silence is disgraceful. As for the music, they are a carbon copy of Grahams band in the stands. Both schools drumlines play constantly. They both do alot of songs that Virginia Tech play. For Martins halftime show, it was pathetic. First off, anybody in the band world will tell you that playing a show with "Rock Tunes" is pure suicide in competition season. Judges are more apt to score a band that can sell a show with little or never heard music much, much higher. Secondly, they practice what we in the band world call "Park and Bark". That is when a band stands still and plays terribly loud. Their band had approx 130 members, and they moved a grand total of 27 times in the show. My Freshman year, 04-05, we had approx 120, and we had 113 sets. Thirdly, their music was extremely sloppy. The band as a whole was not in time. And in their final set, the lines were absolutly terrible. I realize that the football crowd as a whole likes bands that do "rock tunes" for shows. But if you look at the successful bands from the area over the years, they dont do it. Ill quit my rant here. But I could go on and on and on.

As an Alum of our band, I believe their band was absolutely CLASSLESS!!! Playing the fight song while there was a moment of silence is disgraceful. As for the music, they are a carbon copy of Grahams band in the stands. Both schools drumlines play constantly. They both do alot of songs that Virginia Tech play. For Martins halftime show, it was pathetic. First off, anybody in the band world will tell you that playing a show with "Rock Tunes" is pure suicide in competition season. Judges are more apt to score a band that can sell a show with little or never heard music much, much higher. Secondly, they practice what we in the band world call "Park and Bark". That is when a band stands still and plays terribly loud. Their band had approx 130 members, and they moved a grand total of 27 times in the show. My Freshman year, 04-05, we had approx 120, and we had 113 sets. Thirdly, their music was extremely sloppy. The band as a whole was not in time. And in their final set, the lines were absolutly terrible. I realize that the football crowd as a whole likes bands that do "rock tunes" for shows. But if you look at the successful bands from the area over the years, they dont do it. Ill quit my rant here. But I could go on and on and on.

Ryan, it aint' all about competiton. In fact that's exactly what I don't like about the Richlands band... They treat football games as practice for competion. The show the Martinsville band played is exactly they type of show you would see at a college game. The stuff our band does for competion is great for competion... but it's not always great for a football game. The only competition that matters to 99% of the people there is the one between the two football teams. Football fans, the ones who aren't in the bathroom, concession stand, or talking about the first half) just want to be entertained. And "rock tunes" (something they are familiar with) is what they like to hear.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's no way you can come up with anything bad to say about the Martinsville band unless you are full of ENVY. They probably did not realize that the moment of silence after the National anthem was so long at Richlands. It is not that long everywhere else. I like how our anouncer gives the proper credence to the National Anthem and moment silence afterwards for Christians to pray. It is a shame we can't pray out loud like 99 % of the people there would like to do. But don't down a fantastic band which really does ENTERTAIN at the halftime show.

Also as an alum of the band, I thoroughly enjoyed Martinsville band way more than Richlands! I was in the band in the early 90s and they are still doing the same 'ol things! For competition, it's fine but it definitely does not pump up the crowd, which is the reason they should be at the games!!!

I thought the Martinsville band sounded great, their half time performance made me wanna dance too! As I recall, Richlands gave them a standing ovation, which is something that has not occurred with our own band!

I second Martinsville returning next Friday to perform!!!

Totally agree with Ruann23. Martinsville Band is just what Richlands fans need to create more entertaining football game excitement , along with our electrifying team for next week.

Since we are in Thanksgiving mode - I would call them the perfect sidedish to our main course.

Martinsville's band is not a competition band. They have been a great band for years and years doing exactly what they did last night, entertaining the crowd. They don't do the competition scene. Bassett's band is our areas band for competition. Mavahi's band is just fun to watch and to listen to!

I hate to say it because I know how hard our band members work, but, that band last night was sooo entertaining! I enjoyed that halftime show more then any I have seen this year or for that matter several years !

The show our band puts on might be good for competition, but it's boring for a halftime show.

I don't want to hurt any of our band members feelings, but it's just the type of music they decided on.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's no way you can come up with anything bad to say about the Martinsville band unless you are full of ENVY. They probably did not realize that the moment of silence after the National anthem was so long at Richlands. It is not that long everywhere else. I like how our anouncer gives the proper credence to the National Anthem and moment silence afterwards for Christians to pray. It is a shame we can't pray out loud like 99 % of the people there would like to do. But don't down a fantastic band which really does ENTERTAIN at the halftime show.

You can polish S*** all day long and its still S***. They overblew. There werent together or in time with one another. Everyone on here basically just spit in the face of any band member currently in band, or that worked our asses off in the past. In football, your out to win. In basketball your out to win. In every sport in the world you are out to win. Its no different in band. You go out and to what you have to do to win. What if every football team in the area ran the same offense as Richlands. Its flashy, but it dosnt work for everyone. I was in marching band from the Summer of 2003 to the Winter of 2007. I know for a fact some of the shows we did that didnt feature "rock tunes", warranted a standing ovation from our crowds, opponents crowds, and competition crowds. Im not sure of a night my 8th grade year, The Colors Show, that people didnt go crazy in the stands 3 to 5 times in the show. I just dont understand how anyone from this town can try to cut down the kinds in our band like that.

You have taken this band thing too far. Martinsville's band rocked the house. Everyone enjoyed the show. I am not trying to seem disrespectful, but, when was the last time 5,000 people showed up to a band competition. And it is different in "band." Why, you may ask. Because "band" is not a sport. Once again, I am not trying to be disrespectful. There is no doubt that band members work hard. But to compare it to football is simply ridiculous. I have never seen a band member suffer a concussion, bleed during a performance, or suffer broken bones. I remember during a JV football game, one of our running backs got his finger broken during the game. He came to the sideline, taped it to the next finger and went back into the game. Ever seen that in a band competition?

To summarize my point, 99% of the people that attend football games could care less about a "competition band" Football fans like bands that "raise hell." That is exactly what the Bulldog band did. And 99% of the fans there liked, no, loved it. And if that is what you call s***. Then give me s*** every week.

I did however think that they were disrespectful when they started playing during the moment of silence. But I think it may have been a miscommunication and not intended as disrespect. Just my two cents.

I don't think there was any disrespect with the playing from the Martinsville band during the moment of silence I got there later than usual and just sat over on the visitors side. You couldn't hear a word the announcer was saying I wasn't even sure the moment of silence was going on and I was just sitting in the stands. Plus I think Richlands is the only school that exercises such a long moment of silence some nights it seems like it is 30 minutes for the walk on field, national anthem, walk off field never been anywhere else for any other event where the moment of silence lasts until the colors are off the field